Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Damage - Insurance crowd and Network wiping their hands

Options
  • 15-08-2011 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Dropped my Samsung Galaxy S this morning & cracked the screen but wasn't too worried, I took out a policy when I got the phone in March.

Rang Meteor customer service at 11am, got the number for CPP and asked how to go about making a claim. When I gave my phone's 'IMEI' number I was told it was incorrect and that it was my old phone on the policy.

He said to go into Meteor and talk to them. So at lunchtime I went to Meteor in my nearby Cork shopping centre & was told to change the policy to the new phone and then ring back in a week making the claim (technically fraud as CPP have in their T&C that all claims must be made with 24hrs?).

Rang CPP again - apparently it was my duty to change the policy when I got the new phone, something which I wasn't informed about by the staff when I got the phone, and there's nothing they can do. So for six months I've been paying insurance for a phone that doesn't exist. I rang Met. customer service again and was told sorry, pfo.

I accept that if I bought a new car that I'd change the policy myself but is there any onus on Meteor to ensure my insurance was changed over? I did sign a brand new contract and the one behind the counter knew I lost the last phone so surely she'd have some responsibility to update my insurance.

Should I write a long winded email to them or am I just better off forking out the cash for a shop to replace the screen?

I'm not trying to start a Meteor rant (I didn't realise people had issues till seeing the other threads!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gingface wrote: »
    I accept that if I bought a new car that I'd change the policy myself but is there any onus on Meteor to ensure my insurance was changed over? I did sign a brand new contract and the one behind the counter knew I lost the last phone so surely she'd have some responsibility to update my insurance.

No. It's your phone, and your policy, nothing to do with Meteor. It was your responsibility to make sure the right phone was insured. Just like your car example, how would a motor dealership inform your insurance company of a change of vehicle? Meteor can't change your policy, only you can do that.

Advertisement