Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Fan connectors on mobo.

Options
  • 15-08-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for a bit of clarity regarding fans/cooling in my modest gaming/HTPC build in a Silverstone LC13B-E case.

I'm using a Noctua NH-U9B SE2 cooler with two 92mm NF-9B in push-pull config as well as two NF-R8 rear fans. In the front of the case is a third 92mm NF-9B fan, so a total of 5 fans (3 x case and 2 x cpu cooler).

What is the best way to connect the 5 fans to the motherboard.

My mobo has 5 different fan connectors.

CPU Fan Connector (CPU_FAN1)

Northbridge Fan Connector (NB_FAN1)

Chassis Fan Connector (CHA_FAN1)

Chassis Fan Connector (CHA_FAN2)

Power Fan Connector (PWR_FAN1)

I would like the use the Low Noise adapters with the case fans but would like the CPU cooler fans running without adapter for maximum cooling as I plan to overclock.

Is it possible to use the "Y" adapter supplied by Noctua from the CPU Fan Connector (CPU_FAN1) to run the 2 fans on the CPU cooler?
    If I go this route will I have any control of the CPU cooler fans from within Windows 7?

Sorry if this was a painful read but I would really appreciate any help?

thanks,
    Moo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Well just to answer my own question, the Noctua fans pull about 0.11 amps each and the fan header on the motherboard is rated well above that so it shouldn't be a problem.

The cooler fans will run at the same speed which is probably good for a push/pull configuration. The other fans will just be connected to the remaining headers using Low Noise Adapters to hopefully keep my build quiet.

Advertisement