Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruits of the Celtic Tiger

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Ok whilst I think the celtic tiger left us with some great improvements - road infrstructure being the most obvious, I think ALL of this has been overshadowed by the unplanned, chaotic, dysfunctional, inefficient, decrepit, hamstrung health care system that is hitting our headlines on an almost daily basis.

There is no excuse for this imho.

Well they have "plans". They have loads of "plans". Their army of clipboard carriers and consultants have prepared the world of plans. And some of the plans even make sense... in principle. In practice, with the HSE, you have a deliberate underspend in hospitals, the consultants come in to do their "inspection", it's found not to be "fit for purpose", facility is closed or downgraded. Rinse and repeat. Now of course, this is usually done with the promise of new more appropriate primary care services, which in principle, again, I don't have a problem with. In practice, very few of these primary care units get built and the whole thing is revealed as a shallow cost-cutting measure, that doesn't actually deal with any of the huge redundancy in the system.

There is a lot of parochialism with "save our hospital" campaigns, and sometimes there are legitimate reasons cancer services and whatnot have to be moved to bigger centers. I would never argue with that. But the HSE aren't playing fairly either, and taking their plans at face value is never a good thing. For example, in their "Vision for change" (which is simply a rehash of the Tory government's failed 1980s "Agenda for change" ), they suggest that old mental health institutions are closed down and replaced with community care services. And who could disagree with that in principle, patients being treated in their own communities. It sounds wonderful. It'll be fantastic. In practice, it involves a campaign of misinformation about existing institutions (get the public to think they're places where patients are treated like animals, where it couldn't be further from the truth), the clipboard army arriving to do their "inspections", "reports", steering groups, committees and that other corporate nonsense, a timeline for closure of hospital services, but magically, there is no timeline for delivery of "community care teams".

It's somewhat analogous to how Irish Rail run down rail services to the point they're found totally unfeasible to operate. Now imagine they promised a replacement bus service...

... and it never materialises. That's pretty much how much of our health service is run.

It is a pattern that repeats itself across the public sector. Billions pumped in, little gained. Plans produced, little accomplished. Staff who want to do a good job are frustrated, service users are left with mediocrity and it's all delivered gift-wrapped in a generous layer of red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If the population hadn't engaged in endemic property speculation then

"The population" didn't engage in the above. A lot ended up paying over the odds for a roof over their heads. A minority got involved in specualtion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Zebra3 wrote: »
    "The population" didn't engage in the above. A lot ended up paying over the odds for a roof over their heads. A minority got involved in specualtion.

OK then, let me rephrase: A large majority of the Irish adult population repeatedly supported political parties which fostered the culture of property speculation and a lax attitude to planning which led us to where we are.

As for this threads topic, i'm struggling to think of what exactly the Celtic Tiger has endowed upon me for which I'm grateful for. The Ballincollig bypass is a fine bit of road i suppose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Yahew wrote: »
    Naw, the motorways are well over-due. I bet if they were of less capacity that would be an occasion for a whine too.

Well, motorway from Dublin to Belfast & Cork were long overdue indeed, but the rest.. nah they weren't overdue. They were UNDERdue in fact.

There's a couple of projects in Dublin that are about a century overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

Despite all the criticism, I love the Green Luas Line. It has capacity problems, it doesn't cross the city centre, the extension to the boonies was a little daft but the core part works and works really well. It shows people in Dublin what good public transport looks like. It shows people that public transport doesn't have to mean CIE and good rail transport doesn't have to mean Irish Rail.

It shows how much rubbish comes out of 59 O'Connell St when they say that there's no demand in a certain area or beyond certain times. It shows that when we build good public transport, people use it and use it lots. They use it at before DB get up in the morning and after DB go home at night and they use it at 7am on Sundays when DB are still in bed having a lie-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Well, motorway from Dublin to Belfast & Cork were long overdue indeed, but the rest.. nah they weren't overdue. They were UNDERdue in fact.

Lets see Galway to Dublin pre motorways (i.e. before Lucan to Maynooth) was 4 hours to travel 250km (the motorways have shortened that a bit). Not only is that not underdue it shows the massive transport problems we had (and still have) in this country.

Long transit times (goods and employees) means that businesses are less economically viable - the motorway network is needed to make areas of the country accessible (no I don't mean more accessible) to business. This should help competitiveness, which whether we like it or not is linked to Dublin's cost base. I don't think we can reduce Dublin's cost base dramatically so we should concentrate on stabilising it and developing areas of the country where the cost base is lower in an organised manner. There are two main ways of doing this - broadband and transport access (both of which are lacking throughout large areas of the country).

antoobrien wrote: »
    Lets see Galway to Dublin pre motorways (i.e. before Lucan to Maynooth) was 4 hours to travel 250km (the motorways have shortened that a bit). Not only is that not underdue it shows the massive transport problems we had (and still have) in this country.

Long transit times (goods and employees) means that businesses are less economically viable - the motorway network is needed to make areas of the country accessible (no I don't mean more accessible) to business. This should help competitiveness, which whether we like it or not is linked to Dublin's cost base. I don't think we can reduce Dublin's cost base dramatically so we should concentrate on stabilising it and developing areas of the country where the cost base is lower in an organised manner. There are two main ways of doing this - broadband and transport access (both of which are lacking throughout large areas of the country).

Sledgehammer... nut...

Ok Galway is a fairly important tourist centre, but its still not very big. Decent non motorway road wouldv'e been more appropriate considering the utter wilderness of the route west of Athlone.

Again - bad, hamfisted allocation of resources (which actually ARE finite, despite the celtic tiger culture which suggested otherwise)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Sledgehammer... nut...

Ok Galway is a fairly important tourist centre, but its still not very big. Decent non motorway road wouldv'e been more appropriate considering the utter wilderness of the route west of Athlone.

Again - bad, hamfisted allocation of resources (which actually ARE finite, despite the celtic tiger culture which suggested otherwise)

If you are going to do an offline build, you might aswell do it as motorway. 2+2 wouldn't be that much cheaper and motorway is both safer and more efficient in terms of travel times.

If you are going to do an offline build, you might aswell do it as motorway. 2+2 wouldn't be that much cheaper and motorway is both safer and more efficient in terms of travel times.

Skipping more important projects to facilitate less important projects is stupid.

Anyone can chuck cheap money at a project, doesn't mean its the right project.

Just... build the most important sh*t first, then build the less important stuff. Jesus, this is schoolboy stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Just... build the most important sh*t first, then build the less important stuff. Jesus, this is schoolboy stuff.
    Exactly, the Galway Bypass is one of the 5 most important road projects in the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I guess what's most important depends on where you live

AngryLips wrote: »
    I guess what's most important depends on where you live
    No, I live in Galway but I have always said widening Newlands was a more important project than the Galway Bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Skipping more important projects to facilitate less important projects is stupid.

Anyone can chuck cheap money at a project, doesn't mean its the right project.

The definition of important stuff isn't schoolboy. Motorways across the country are more important than local initiatives like the LUAS, which should be paid for by Dublin tax.

The definition of important stuff isn't schoolboy. Motorways across the country are more important than local initiatives like the LUAS, which should be paid for by Dublin tax.

Yes I'm afraid it is schoolboy when you break it down.

The important stuff is the stuff which benefits most people. If you build in order of importance, based on serving people, not geographic areas, then you can't really go wrong.

"Motorway across the country" is just tar across fields.. unless there's something to back it up, its meaningless.

Yes I'm afraid it is schoolboy when you break it down.

The important stuff is the stuff which benefits most people. If you build in order of importance, based on serving people, not geographic areas, then you can't really go wrong.

"Motorway across the country" is just tar across fields.. unless there's something to back it up, its meaningless.

Let me re-iterate what I said before.

Private capital follows public capital, and labour ( i.e people) follow capital. If at the beginning of the Irish State we decided to move the theatres, major universities, governments, Supreme courts, and public subsidised private boondongles ( like the IFSC and Docks) to Wexford, then the argument would run that we would continue to infrastructure in Wexford and it's 1 millions inhabitants rather than the 50K population backwater that were Dublin.

The point of infrastructure isn't to play the insane positive feedback trap of subsidising the already subsidised, and capitalising the already capitalised, but to level the population playing field. To give people who have paid into the national pool some return on their investment. We are talkiong about national government here, which in most countries would be building routes of national importance ( motorways and inter-city trains) not local projects like the LUAS , local public transport in a capital should be the problem for it's own inhabitants. New York funds it's subways.

Private capital follows public capital, and labour ( i.e people) follow capital. If at the beginning of the Irish State we decided to move the theatres, major universities, governments, Supreme courts, and public subsidised private boondongles ( like the IFSC and Docks) to Wexford, then the argument would run that we would continue to infrastructure in Wexford and it's 1 millions inhabitants rather than the 50K population backwater that were Dublin.

We don't have the power to move populations on those scales, that's why decentralisation failed! Besides, public capital is controlled by govt. Are you saying govt are infallible? Like the pope? :)
    The point of infrastructure isn't to play the insane positive feedback trap of subsidising the already subsidised, and capitalising the already capitalised, but to level the population playing field.

Dublin is the size it is not by mere accident, but because of its location. Its the single best place for a major Irish city. We should encourage it to flourish, not hinder it in order to grow some provincial backwater.

"Levelling the population field" - what does this meeeeean? Sounds FFesque.
    To give people who have paid into the national pool some return on their investment. We are talkiong about national government here, which in most countries would be building routes of national importance ( motorways and inter-city trains) not local projects like the LUAS , local public transport in a capital should be the problem for it's own inhabitants. New York funds it's subways.

Ireland is a unitary state (unfortunately). If Dublin COULD raise and spend its own taxes there'd be a metro system by now and less pointless motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

With the economic boom well and truly over I thought it might be a nice exercise to take a look back for a change instead of looking forward and reflect on some of the achievements of the good times for transport and infrastructure in this country. So I'll start the ball rolling by listing some of what we have to show from that period:
    - Luas
    - Dublin Port Tunnel
    - Dublin Airport T2
    - M50
    - National motorway network
    - New Cork Airport
    - WRC (Limerick-Galway)
    - One of the youngest railway rolling stock in Europe.
    - Limerick Tunnel
    - Restoration of the Shannon-Erne waterway

Please add to this if anyone notices anything I've missed. Personally, and despite all the controversy, I think T2 has to be my favourite development. Along with all the ancillary works, Dublin Airport finally feels like the gateway to the nation it's meant to be and is both a great first impression and a fantastic reflection of a modern city.

While I'm Irish and Proud, I'd not go quite that far - yes, we now have a motorway system worth talking about, yes, our rail services (commute by train) have improved greatly, yes, the DPT is great, yes, T2 is nice, yes, we have some great new venues - but, and a very big but - with the obscene amounts of money made by big business, developers and speculators etc, we could have done so much more if the government of the time made the wealthy contribute a reasonable sum of money - that's one of the big reasons why I did not vote FF in the last election and I don't intend voting FF again - they should be on their knees begging us to tell them what direction they should take now - but of course, that has not happened as far as I can see.

At this stage, we should now be seeing the M17/M18 and M11 being built with the Metro North to commence construction next year. The M20, M4 to Longford and Dart Underground should be following closely thereafter. Also, a lot of very badly needed bypasses should be under construction around the country. While Ireland has done comparatively well in Europe, the truth is that the Western World is a joke (especially when it comes to laziness and NIMBYism) and that Ireland should not be using neighbouring countries as a measure of infrastructural performance. We need to set how our own needs are being met as the standard by which we measure this country.

Regards!

We don't have the power to move populations on those scales, that's why decentralisation failed! Besides, public capital is controlled by govt. Are you saying govt are infallible? Like the pope? :)
    The point of infrastructure isn't to play the insane positive feedback trap of subsidising the already subsidised, and capitalising the already capitalised, but to level the population playing field.

Dublin is the size it is not by mere accident, but because of its location. Its the single best place for a major Irish city. We should encourage it to flourish, not hinder it in order to grow some provincial backwater.

"Levelling the population field" - what does this meeeeean? Sounds FFesque.
    To give people who have paid into the national pool some return on their investment. We are talkiong about national government here, which in most countries would be building routes of national importance ( motorways and inter-city trains) not local projects like the LUAS , local public transport in a capital should be the problem for it's own inhabitants. New York funds it's subways.

Ireland is a unitary state (unfortunately). If Dublin COULD raise and spend its own taxes there'd be a metro system by now and less pointless motorway.

Accusations of FF sympathies without foundation are ad hominems. I have no sympathy for FF, specifically its corrupt Dublin branch. And you miss the point when you talk about mass movement of populations, I am merely pointing out that Dublin would be a backwater were it not for government subsidy.

To complain about provincial backwaters is to spectacularly miss the point since Dublin would be one without subsidy.

In fact the only point you raised which could vaguely be said to be new was the claim for Dublins natural position. In fact there is no proof of that. The port is, even now, due to silting barely fit for purpose, and it could be moved. Dublin is half way up the East of the country, there is no law which makes that position the ideal spot for a capital on an island off Europe. Wexford's position is closer to the relative position of the UK capital

It is as close to the UK and closer to France.

If Dubliners want to withdraw from a unitary state, do by all means. In fact, please do. Your port ( the only, albeit subsidized , natural economic benefit of the city) would be no use as the port of a city state. Exports and imports to Ireland would go elsewhere. Government would move losing the city about 50% of it's economy and population to start with, the port would collapse and the productive citizenry - mostly immigrants and migrants from the country leave - leaving the 3 generation Dubliners, the howyas and the Roysh to run the place.
    Good luck with that one.

Dublin can, however, pay for it's metro using it's own taxes or raising it's own bonds within Ireland. Like many cities. Let's do that.

Accusations of FF sympathies without foundation are ad hominems. I have no sympathy for FF, specifically its corrupt Dublin branch. And you miss the point when you talk about mass movement of populations, I am merely pointing out that Dublin would be a backwater were it not for government subsidy.

To complain about provincial backwaters is to spectacularly miss the point since Dublin would be one without subsidy.

No it wouldn't, because any such govt would immediately be removed from power. Dublin was big before this state existed, and its choice as capital was a foregone conclusion. Your argument is as laughable as Sinn Fein's idea to make Athlone capital of Ireland.

Dublin's size is not an actual problem, thinking it is a problem is a complete waste of time. The focus should be to serve the people, wherever they may be. London and Paris are similarly dominant... so what?
    In fact the only point you raised which could vaguely be said to be new was the claim for Dublins natural position. In fact there is no proof of that.

Proof of its natural benefits? Um, ok..
    Its at the mid point of the most populated coast
    Its almost equidistant from every other major Irish city
    Its warmer & drier than most of the island
    Its close to the large British and European markets
    Its located on a coastal plain unlike most of our rugged coastline
    You want more?
    The port is, even now, due to silting barely fit for purpose, and it could be moved.

Or dredged.
    Dublin is half way up the East of the country, there is no law which makes that position the ideal spot for a capital on an island off Europe. Wexford's position is closer to the relative position of the UK capital

It is as close to the UK and closer to France.

Its not about law, its about common sense, its the best spot in the country, thats why so many people live there.

Wexford is no closer to London than Dublin is, in practical terms. But it IS farther from the northern half of Ireland. Being closer to France isn't enough.
    If Dubliners want to withdraw from a unitary state, do by all means. In fact, please do. Your port ( the only, albeit subsidized , natural economic benefit of the city) would be no use as the port of a city state. Exports and imports to Ireland would go elsewhere. Government would move losing the city about 50% of it's economy and population to start with, the port would collapse and the productive citizenry - mostly immigrants and migrants from the country leave - leaving the 3 generation Dubliners, the howyas and the Roysh to run the place.
    Good luck with that one.

Dublin can, however, pay for it's metro using it's own taxes or raising it's own bonds within Ireland. Like many cities. Let's do that.

Its your port too, if you're an Irishman. Dublin is the capital of your country, its not an alien plantation foisted on an innocent virgin nation, its an integral part of it.

If you don't want to celebrate that, then don't expect me to care about your thoughts on what Ireland should or shouldn't be. ;)

At this stage, we should now be seeing the M17/M18 and M11 being built with the Metro North to commence construction next year. The M20, M4 to Longford and Dart Underground should be following closely thereafter.

In fairness, these are failures of the economic boom and not achievements so entirely off-topic
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Vikings weren't stupid when they picked their spot by the banks of the Liffey at what is now Wood Quay. Just a pity they interbred with the locals, otherwise we might actually have a friggin metro (like all Scandinavian capitals, none of which are significantly bigger than Dublin).

They are failures of the bubble ...but had the bubble lasted 3 years longer we might have completed the national motorway network. :) There should be an M4 motorway to west of Mullingar ( maybe to Longford) , Tuam-Cork and Dublin - Enniscorthy. Other than Limerick - Cork these have all been started.

We are around 150 miles shy of a COMPLETE motorway/HQDC network which is but small fry compared to what we have built. Then we can predictably and reliably move between key population/employment centres as should be the case in an advanced economy.

As to the rest of the Network I have frequently posted that we do not need continous 2+2 on long rural runs...but we need 2+2 interspersed with S2 to allow predictable and safe overtaking opportunities.

Could the motorway network not have been built to serve major towns and cities while at the same time building less road? Dublin-Waterford-Cork? Dublin-Galway-Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Could the motorway network not have been built to serve major towns and cities while at the same time building less road? Dublin-Waterford-Cork? Dublin-Galway-Limerick?

It could have been, but it wouldn't have been built by this stage if that was the case. The plans for the motorway network evolved over the years. Originally it was planned for most major towns to be by-passed, and link roads upgraded between by-passes. Then the decision (correct imo) was taken in the early 2000s to build entire corridors. At this point some by-passes had already been built, and others were ready to be built, so the motorway network was designed to make the best use of what was already there.

Looking at the country as a whole and designing the most efficient network from scratch works very well in theory. In reality there's the matter of public acceptance, mirroring existing corridors is more palatable than ploughing a motorway through a formerly out of the way location, while former national primary towns find themselves 30km from the new road. The early complaints from local businesses over lost traffic were partly mitigated by not building motorway services and instead signposting the nearest existing services. These things have left us with a few problems to address now, but it's better than having years of reports and public consultation and ending up with nothing. Look at the DART and Luas for an example, lines planned in the 70's are still being debated.

At some point you just have to draw a line under a plan and say "this is what we're doing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The point of infrastructure isn't to play the insane positive feedback trap of subsidising the already subsidised, and capitalising the already capitalised, but to level the population playing field. To give people who have paid into the national pool some return on their investment. We are talkiong about national government here, which in most countries would be building routes of national importance ( motorways and inter-city trains) not local projects like the LUAS , local public transport in a capital should be the problem for it's own inhabitants. New York funds it's subways.

I'm not quite sure you understand the definition of "national importance". A decrepit old railway line, say, in the west of Ireland connecting a string of hamlets, might cover a larger geographic area, but when it comes to the number of people carried and the benefit to the overall economy, the Dublin-based projects such as Dart Underground and Metro North win not just comfortably, but utterly wipe the floor with those kinds of projects. As we all pay into this "national pool" as you say, the number of people who are served and more importantly who will use the infrastructure must be the primary basis upon which it is progressed. If we start playing games trying to hit every dot on the map, we end up with... well, the National Spacial Strategy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'd have routed the M8 up to south Tipp, situating the present junction 10 halfway between Cahir and Clonmel, proceeding NE towards Kilkenny, Carlow and Naas. You'd serve bigger towns and reduce your road-build kilometre count substantially. That said, perhaps that could not have been done because of topography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

N52 needs major upgrading. In fact motorway-ising it would be great. I came to this conclusion after finding my way on it at various times on different journeys in different parts of the country and thinking - my God this road is great in theory but its crap in practice due to windyness and slow moving vehicle-ness. It intersects most of the existing motorways from M1-M7 at some point or another and I feel would greatly improve connections between various places that currently require you to either take dodgy slow back roads or divert far out of your way on existing motorways.

Advertisement