Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the german market returning this year?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

that was really cool last year, and I enjoyed it a lot. is it coming back this year does anyone know? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.galwaynews.ie/20738-galway-firm-wins-deal-run-christmas-market
    Galway firm wins deal to run Christmas Market
    July 29, 2011 - 7:30am
    Organisers promise better event and €10m cash boost to local economy
    BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM

This year’s Continental Christmas Market in Eyre Square will be taken over by the locally-based operator behind the 2009 Volvo Ocean Race stopover, the Galway City Tribune has learned.
    The company successfully canvassed the Galway Business Association to take over the market from Marketplace (Europe), an English-based firm that ran the four-week event last year.
    The organisers are confident that the shorter three week 2011 event will generate a cash boost of at least €10m for the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Yeah, but this time it's three weeks instead of four and being run by locals (people who were involved with the Volvo stopover in 09). City Council gave it the go-ahead recently.

Also, they have said there will be less emphasis on food stalls this year.

Here's the link to a story which was in the City Tribune recently:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/20738-galway-firm-wins-deal-run-christmas-market

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Less emphasis on food stalls?

Does this mean no ostrich burgers?

Damn.

Damn them to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

All the different burgers, food and the beer hall was what I loved last time :(

please tell me there's gonna be the beer hall :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I'd say there'll still be a lot of food, few of the places were selling the same stuff last year and there's no point in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

That fecker down in the saturday market with the doughnuts is my downfall. I'd sell my right arm for a dozen of them cinnamoney ones.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Having seen a 'proper' German style market before. I was disappointed by it. It simply wasn't German or continental enough. In fact if I remember correctly that was in part due to agitation from local businesses who wanted Irish stalls in place. I actually don't see the point of setting up stalls from Galway based companies and shops which we can all visit anytime we want all year round.

The whole point of it was that it be German or European in style, in other words things to see, eat or buy that simply isn't typically available in Ireland. I remember visiting one in Manchester and it was full of amazing trinkets, Christmas decorations and even typical German wooden toys. I saw none of that or at least very little when I was there in Galway.

If it's simply just another Irish market then there's no point, just walk down Shop street and buy the same stuff in a warm shop out of the elements.

I live in hope that the new organisers try and keep the continental aspect to the forefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I lived on the continent for years but found the CHristmas market to be awesome. Great buzz about the place.

And those ostrich burgers. Nomnonom.

Also, the kangaroo burgers, wild boar burgers and venison burgers.
    Delicious. All of them delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The prices of some of the food stalls were shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Obvious username is obvious...:D

'c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lasgaviotas

I went to Berlin for the sole purpose of visiting the real German Christmas Market..but came away a bit disappointed..I later tried Paris and even Chicago but Galway was magnificent..all we needed was snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It was bloody cold enough w/o snow too! I loved the idea of hot mulled wine while perusing the market. The Santa there was class too, kids loved it. I thought it was a shame there weren't better arts/crafts. There was this really cool german craft place selling these smoking figurines (traditional german thing, uses incense). Anyhow, would have picked up a couple for relatives but they were like €60/ea or something? These guys should have come here during the boom years. Who carries a few hundred quid with them in case they want to pick up some chince at a local market?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

as indeed was the rent the stalls were paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

xflyer wrote: »
    Christmas decorations and even typical German wooden toys. I saw none of that or at least very little when I was there in Galway.

I talked to some German man and some nun frome Belarus and bought beautiful Christmas decorations from them!

Advertisement