Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green card's eta

Options
  • 15-08-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi,
    if anybody knows when person's supposed to receive his greencard after he received his us immigrant visa stamped passport and sealed envelope from us embassy on 8th of june this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You need to immigrate first, you won't get the greencard while still in Ireland. Once you have activated your visa by moving to the USA, the greencard usually takes 3-6 weeks but can take up to three months to arrive. No worries though- they will stamp your passport with a "temporary greencard" stamp, valid for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Mine took six weeks, while my friend's (who arrived the same day as me) took fourteen months. This was back in the mid-nineties so things may be more streamlined now.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Gandhi wrote: »
    Mine took six weeks, while my friend's (who arrived the same day as me) took fourteen months. This was back in the mid-nineties so things may be more streamlined now.

Was with USCIS in Detroit this week, official time period is 2 weeks to 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

And you need to emigrate to the US within 6 months - so if its June that would be december.
    Well you dont have to go fully. You just need to go to the US to activate. But can you come straight back? Not really.
    You need to go get your social security number and card - ticking the box to have it automatically issued rarely works. You will need to give time for your activation thing to be processed and in the system so go to the Social Security office 2 to 3 weeks after first arriving in US.
    Then can be 3 to 4 weeks to receive your SSN card and number. Then you need to wait some more for your greencard to arrive.
    You will need a permanent address though from the very start. You could leave and go back to ireland after you apply for the SSN - depending on the type of address you used and your confidence of someone receiving the SSN and greencard and sending it to you.

But you will have to have moved over to the states completely within 6 months of the first activation trip.
    .... then there is Re-entry permits etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

If you go on holiday and come back you can apply for your SSN at the embassey in Dublin and it will be sent to your Irish address.The Green card will need to be sent to a U.S addresss though.I waited 10 months to go back once i had my green card.No problem at the airport i just told them i had to sort things out in Ireland.Although at immigration he did tell me if in future you are going to stay that length of time outside the U.S you are better filling out a form just in case.Its really up to the immigration offical on the day if they are going to make things difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

The insert the embassy put in your passport is, in effect, a valid green card. Until you receive you physical card after arrival in the US, the page in your passport entitles you to do everything the green card would such as applying for a social security number, a drivers license and most importantly getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

.... only for six months though. It expires after six months.
    And drivers licenses are typically tied to visa expiration dates if shorter than standard length so that will be restricted.

Advertisement