Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asgard

• 15-08-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of the ol Asgard the other day and how the series killed them off.I feel it was a weak ending just blowing them all to hell in a mass suicide:mad:,why couldnt they have just made a story where they evolve like the Ancients did(although I believe there may have been a ep where an Asgard said that was beyond them:confused:)or failing that what about the old Asgard traveller surely they could have cloned it!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was established fairly early on that the Asgard were incapable of ascending and that they were coming to the limits of their cloning technology such that the cloned bodies were degrading faster.

I imagine the mass suicide was supposed to be part of a larger story arc, but they had to cram it into the last episode in order for that episode to make sense.

It was very rushed. "OK, your upgrade is done". "That's great, but why". "Because we're blowing up our planet, kthxbye". *BOOM*. "WTF".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Yeh but surely cloning an old asgard body would just revert them back,and also the assension(sp)the ancients assended the poxy natives of abidos why not the whopper Asgards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Well they were a far more advanced race then us so maybe we just aren't intellegent enough to understand why they did what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

The bodies where breaking down genetically and this decay was getting worse from each generation of clones

busyliving wrote: »
    The bodies where breaking down genetically and this decay was getting worse from each generation of clones

Yeh I get that but what happened to the story line about the ancient Asgard they found.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeh I get that but what happened to the story line about the ancient Asgard they found.

Was that the Asgard in stasis, in the underground lab thing? Not much ever came of it as far as I remember...they obviously didn't figure out what they needed to though.

I guess they kind of had to kill off the Asgard...I mean the replicator threat was over & that meant the Asgard would be free to assist humans with any issues they might have in the future...& what baddies could stand against humans & Asgard together? It turns out one did though...syfy b@stards :mad:

EnterNow wrote: »
    Was that the Asgard in stasis, in the underground lab thing? Not much ever came of it as far as I remember...they obviously didn't figure out what they needed to though.

I guess they kind of had to kill off the Asgard...I mean the replicator threat was over & that meant the Asgard would be free to assist humans with any issues they might have in the future...& what baddies could stand against humans & Asgard together? It turns out one did though...syfy b@stards :mad:

Yeh thats the episode,the Asgard had a policy of not helping humanity advance.....well except mass suicide but that was to keep their legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I don't know why they didn't bother cloning the ancient Asgard. Always seemed a bit crap to me how they all died off and then later on we discover other Asgard. I can't remember if it was explained or not but why didn't the good Asgard that all died not go see the bad Asgard and try reconcile the differences in order to steal their genetic goodness?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Probably didn't clone th older Asgard as they wouldn't have had the brain capacity of the newer smaller ones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

people, it's just bad writing. accept it without feeling like you have to explain it:)

• Advertisement

people, it's just bad writing. accept it without feeling like you have to explain it:)

never!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Yeh but surely cloning an old asgard body would just revert them back,and also the assension(sp)the ancients assended the poxy natives of abidos why not the whopper Asgards :(

The ancients as a collective group didn't actually do this though, did they? I was under the impression that it was Oma Desala acting alone that did this. And since Anubis attacked Dakara, she's locked in a struggle with him, so likely can't help people ascend any more. As was already pointed out, ascension was stated to be infeasible for the Asgard after years of cloning, and while the ancients might have been able to overcome this, it would have violated their non interference rule, and as above, the one who tended to ignore this would have been otherwise indisposed.

cython wrote: »
    The ancients as a collective group didn't actually do this though, did they? I was under the impression that it was Oma Desala acting alone that did this. And since Anubis attacked Dakara, she's locked in a struggle with him, so likely can't help people ascend any more. As was already pointed out, ascension was stated to be infeasible for the Asgard after years of cloning, and while the ancients might have been able to overcome this, it would have violated their non interference rule, and as above, the one who tended to ignore this would have been otherwise indisposed.

Those Ancients and their morals so much for helping friends out:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I miss Thor, buddy. What a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I miss Thor, buddy. What a legend!

Don't worry, I'm right here!!

Anyway, The reason the blew themselves up was because there last attempt to fix there clone issue left them with a rapidly progressing disease, In turn they decided a mass suicide was batter than dying slowly.

I was pissed they all got killed off, But i always tried to remember, That it was Stargate, Thor could have come back from another universe, Time or around the corner, Who knew!!

Guess it won't happen now!!

Began watching SG-1 from the very beginning again, just finished season 1...anyway point is, why did the Asgard not make robots and put themselves into them like Harland and his people did? Surely the Asgard were advanced enough to do that.

TheKells wrote: »
    Began watching SG-1 from the very beginning again, just finished season 1...anyway point is, why did the Asgard not make robots and put themselves into them like Harland and his people did? Surely the Asgard were advanced enough to do that.

A lot of technology is in one way beneath them,they can no longer "think" like that is how they put it to Carter,thats why they needed human help with the replicators because they didnt know how to make guns like ours.

A lot of technology is in one way beneath them,they can no longer "think" like that is how they put it to Carter,thats why they needed human help with the replicators because they didnt know how to make guns like ours.

Well they had the idea right in front of them with human form replicators. Harlands people are a bit rare too, if they had that sort of tech why did they not just get in ships and go elsewhere.

Well they had the idea right in front of them with human form replicators. Harlands people are a bit rare too, if they had that sort of tech why did they not just get in ships and go elsewhere.

The replicators have their own minds so to speak they arent ancient minds cloned into this body hence why they tend to be evil.

Harlans race I believe died out due to a environmental disaster and probably where not advanced enough to build long distance ships,remember humanity developed space travel from crashed gould ships and small help from the Asgard.They put themselves in the android bodies but commited suicide due to not having a proper life.

The replicators have their own minds so to speak they arent ancient minds cloned into this body hence why they tend to be evil.

Harlans race I believe died out due to a environmental disaster and probably where not advanced enough to build long distance ships,remember humanity developed space travel from crashed gould ships and small help from the Asgard.They put themselves in the android bodies but commited suicide due to not having a proper life.

I know that about the replicators, but I mean they saw it was possible to make an articifial body so it shouldn't have been that big a leap for them.

Harlands race wasn't human though, at least not from Earth, and I'd suspect that putting a mind into a body like that would be more difficult than space travel.

• Advertisement

I know that about the replicators, but I mean they saw it was possible to make an articifial body so it shouldn't have been that big a leap for them.

Harlands race wasn't human though, at least not from Earth, and I'd suspect that putting a mind into a body like that would be more difficult than space travel.

Again as before it was beneath their level of thing and more than likely too easy for tv :D

Ill counter your 2nd sentence with the 6th day,its only set a few years from now therefore sci-fi laws declare cloning/androidery easier than space travel:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I can't remember if it was explained or not but why didn't the good Asgard that all died not go see the bad Asgard and try reconcile the differences in order to steal their genetic goodness?

When Daniel Jackson finally spoke face to face with the "bad" Asgard it was explained to him that they too suffered the same genetic degradation as the Milky Way Asgard.

SGA - Season 5 - Episode 11 - The Lost Tribe.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

I have to say it all did feel a bit rushed, to be honest the whole oraii thing was slow at the start as well then suddenly things happened. They could have done the whole thing a lot better for a ending to such a supremely awesome race.

Gearheart wrote: »
    I have to say it all did feel a bit rushed, to be honest the whole oraii thing was slow at the start as well then suddenly things happened. They could have done the whole thing a lot better for a ending to such a supremely awesome race.

It didnt feel too rushed to me as the whole Merlins weapon thing took a few episodes and a film to finish:D

Advertisement