Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive balance on Ulster Bank Mastercard abroad

Options
  • 15-08-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm moving to the states for the year this week and looking at the best way to move money over. I have a friend who is with BOI and he made payments from his current account to bring his credit card balance positive and withdrew with minimal charges (no cash advance fee) when he was away.

Today I went into my local UB branch and the girl told me that I would be charged the same whether my balance is positive or negative, but I'm not sure if she really knew whether this was the case! I've done a search online but can't find any info on this so if anyone knows if it's the same with UB mastercard as it is with BOI and if it is the case thatll cost me loads to get it out there it'd be great if someone could suggest the best way to bring my money out - the girl in Ulster suggested a mixture of cash and a bank draft.

Would be great if anyone could help me out please!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

A credit card is not a current account and there for it's not allowed to be used in the way your suggesting.

Can you load it up and use it that way, sort of. You receive no protection if your card is stolen and the credit balance used fraudulently. Your only covered for the balance you go overdrawn.

There is nothing to stop UB putting a hold on your card till you but the card back to a nil balance either, this has happened and it's difficult enough to rectify when your in Ireland leet alone abroad.

A bank draft is only useful till you have a USA account. Best to use your visa debit and take out money in larger sums and not $20 here and there. Use citizen bank as they are also a rbs bank. Transactions will show slightly quicker on your account.

Get your USA account sorted and wire funds over. Make sure to get a fx transfer form from your local branch before going. Also make sure your signature is up to date on UB records to help with this transfer, cause you'll be doing it via the post etc.

Lastly, tell UB to note on the system your heading to the USA to help the fraud team know in case they freeze your visa debit.

Advertisement