Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holyhead or Pembroke

• 15-08-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm about equal distance from Dublin and rosslare always go through Holyhead was wondering if the drive to Dover was any better to go via Pembroke from rosslare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

The drive is a little shorter via Pembroke maybe an hour and a half. The boat Journey is longer, so it really depends on whether you like driving or sailing better.
    I reckon you should get the sailing times off the Irish Ferries website and then do a google maps or viamichelin search to see wheich works out better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

My home town is Folkestone, next door to Dover, and I find the Pembroke/Fishguard route much easier. Only about half an hour from the docks on a good road and then motorway all the way to Dover.
    I have used the Holyhead route quite a few times because I lived the other side of Liverpool for a few years but Anglesey is still a bit of a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hymer514

My home town is Folkestone, next door to Dover, and I find the Pembroke/Fishguard route much easier. Only about half an hour from the docks on a good road and then motorway all the way to Dover.
    I have used the Holyhead route quite a few times because I lived the other side of Liverpool for a few years but Anglesey is still a bit of a headache.
    Thanks for the info will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hymer514

Thanks for the info will give it a go

Go for it.

Local roads - A40 - M4 - M25 - M26 - M20 - A20 (approx 5 miles) - Dover.

Slightly boring yes, but quick and easy.

Have a good trip.

By the way, no charge on the Seven Bridge when leaving Wales. The canny Welsh only charge when you enter their country!!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

The canny Welsh only charge when you enter their country!!!.

Or is it that people will pay to get out of England??? :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Now running for cover :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

No longer true... dual carriage way or motorway all the way from the M6 to the dock gates now.

Malta1 wrote: »
    Or is it that people will pay to get out of England??? :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Now running for cover :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nice one. Boom Boom.:D

si_guru wrote: »
    No longer true... dual carriage way or motorway all the way from the M6 to the dock gates now.

This is good to know. It was a while ago that I last used that route. Knew it was being upgraded, Thanks for the correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

I use Rosslare Fishguard morning sailing and a leisurly drive 330 mls to Dover for the 2340hrs sailing to Calais. sometimes I overnight at the Sainsbury's store in Folkstone just off the motorway, can top up with fuel if required, then catch an early morning ferry. Have a good trip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement