Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA

Options
  • 15-08-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

MBNA just announced that they intend exiting the UK and IRELAND credit card businesses. No comment yet on whether they will sell the businesses or just close them down. What chance that anyone will want to buy the Irish one?

Bad news for the employees in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Assuming they close the business down I'm assuming the chances are it would be similiar to the Halifax pull out in terms of their credit card customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Trampas

People might struggle to get another cc, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0815/mbna.html

sorry about the jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have a card with them. I use it but not much. I would like to have it though. I imagine the 3V ones were a death nail to them. Credit cards were a celtic tiger fad that died when used once(usually overdrawn)

I now use my laser more as it comes directly out of my account....

I wonder who underwrites tesco's

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

It's Royal Bank of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ilovelucy wrote: »

Last time I checked they didn't have any way to check transactions online. Bit poor in this day and age.

Will be sorry if bank of america pull out, have had a card with them for years and never really had a problem. Anytime you ring, very helpful. Will be hughe loss to carrick on shannon if 1000 jobs are to go,, didnt think they had so many based there. They often got bad press, and being ruthless but I cant complain about them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jagrey

I have a card with them. I use it but not much. I would like to have it though. I imagine the 3V ones were a death nail to them. Credit cards were a celtic tiger fad that died when used once(usually overdrawn)

I now use my laser more as it comes directly out of my account....

It's not competition-they're retrenching and selling their whole international credit operation. Desperate news for Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Ilovelucy wrote: »

Just a little out of date Ilovelucy. Tesco bought out RBS in 2009 and are now calling the business Tesco Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

jagrey wrote: »
    It's not competition-they're retrenching and selling their whole international credit operation. Desperate news for Leitrim.

You miss understood me but thanks i picked that up on the news as well. I just dont imagine they would sell a business that makes money for them but i equally could be wrong and the only way i imagine someone like these who lets be honest gave cards to everyone will only be suffering because

1. No one can afford to own one
    2. Everyone is heavily overdrawn

Both can be solved by using the prepaid 3v so there is no incentive to change this if you are in this situation.

Back to the news.... I cannot see any company especially in credit cards taking over this facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They would sell, profit making or not. BOA have their own troubles as a result of the financial crisis, and are selling non-core businesses left right and centre. MBNA is one of the bigger ones of them, but not the only one.

As it stands, we've no way of knowing if MBNA UK/Ireland's operating status in terms of profitability (though I suspect through it's relatively tight lending strategy it's not suffering as bad as some). The UK business will be probably sold to one of the big providers - such as Santander etc. The Irish operation will either go with (it runs on a common IT platform and services are shared). Whether any new owner keeps in the Irish market is another question, but it will be a while before we see any major changes I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Tesco Personal Finance:
    Davy wrote: »
    Last time I checked they didn't have any way to check transactions online. Bit poor in this day and age.

In the UK, Tesco has spun off its own Credit Card business and rebranded as Tesco Bank (http://www.tescobank.com) and it does provide online access. For some reason then haven't rolled it out in Ireland yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm sure Certus would be interested in buying the Irish portfolio..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Very sad to hear this news yesterday. I have fingers and toes crossed for all the Irish jobs, those thousand people have a worrying couple of months ahead of them.

I always found MBNA great, they are one of the few companies still offering the 0% on balance transfers, which i'm sure was a god send for a lot of people who found themselves in a situation where they were barely making a dent in their credit card interest.

I presume the MBNA cards will still be working for the next couple of months? I am off on holidays to the States next month and planned to pre load my MBNA card with cash to pay for accomodation etc. I presume i'll be ok doing this and my money won't get frozen or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

homer911 wrote: »
    I'm sure Certus would be interested in buying the Irish portfolio..

As a services company and not a bank, I don't think Certus would buy anything. They might well step in to work down the book on behalf of Bank of America in the event that MBNA fail to sell as a going concern and decide to close their accounts down.

Tesco is an interesting suitor; it will all come down to the shape the book is in imho.

There will be a big impact on the number of credit cards on issue here in Ireland. Irish people tend only to have one card due to the Irish stamp duty on them, and I don't see other banks being too ready to offer replacement facilities to MBNA customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I have an MBNA credit card. Should I consider getting rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

I have an MBNA credit card. Should I consider getting rid of it?

I think getting rid of credit cards is a great idea, if you can.
    Suppose they will be contacting us shortly, tell us what will happen. Probably be like the halifax closing, with any outstanding balance converted to a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

ncmc wrote: »
    Very sad to hear this news yesterday. I have fingers and toes crossed for all the Irish jobs, those thousand people have a worrying couple of months ahead of them.

I always found MBNA great, they are one of the few companies still offering the 0% on balance transfers, which i'm sure was a god send for a lot of people who found themselves in a situation where they were barely making a dent in their credit card interest.

I presume the MBNA cards will still be working for the next couple of months? I am off on holidays to the States next month and planned to pre load my MBNA card with cash to pay for accomodation etc. I presume i'll be ok doing this and my money won't get frozen or anything?

I hope you are aware that if you front load a credit card it then becomes a debit card and MBNA WILL NOT cover this money if your card is stolen i.e. if you put a grand on it and u lose it then that cash is gone as they do not operate a debit facility.

Just to let you know as i used to work for MBNA in HR and we had to do 4 hours 'participation' in TACS every month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

patravers wrote: »
    I hope you are aware that if you front load a credit card it then becomes a debit card and MBNA WILL NOT cover this money if your card is stolen i.e. if you put a grand on it and u lose it then that cash is gone as they do not operate a debit facility.

Just to let you know as i used to work for MBNA in HR and we had to do 4 hours 'participation' in TACS every month

Thank you for that. I won't be front loading by that much as there is a balance on my card, so I should end up about 600 in the black, but even still, that would be a huge loss to me if my card was stolen.

I was looking at the pre pay visa cards, I've heard people talk about Moneybookers, but have always been nervous about using a company I don't know much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

ncmc wrote: »
    patravers wrote: »

What if it was lost with no transactions having taken place?...is your money still gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

your money is only gone if the card is used by someone else.. they will only allow liability for any credit on the card after your excess is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I'll miss the 0% transfers alright. I can sense the cartels rubbing their hands in the credit card abd banking sector. We'll soon be back to pre tiger days, little or no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Couple of things come to mind.

Some are saying that there is a possibility That the Biz will be sold as a going concern after all MBNA was sold to Bank Of America couple of years ago with no major loss of jobs (approx 20%). When MBNA announced the sale to BOA they already had a buyer. Biz sence would dictate that before making such an anoucement they would have looked for possible buyers.

If they do decide to sell rather than wind up the company it needs to be kept in mind that the majorety of the staff work on the UK portfolio, So if one of the UK banks buys in it will make more sence for them just to buy the portfolio and transfer the accounts into there own systems and own call centres which will be more cost efficitve. In the off chance that it is bought and some staff are kept on, it would make more sence to keep the chester office open as cheaper overheads, cheaper staff costs and more resources.

That leaves the Irish Biz, with the UK biz is stripped from Carrick the irish biz if sold wont be enough to keep carrick open, again if an irish bank buys the biz they can just move the portfolio to exsisting call centres else where.

When BOA bought mbna they let go about 20% of the staff, which in itself left the carrick complex with vacent space so boa moved in Merril Lynch When BOA pull out Merril Lynch will be going as well leaving to so any new owners wont need a building that size

Just my Thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

It is nice to see mbna finally buggering off as I always had the sneaking suspicion that it would not last. After buying a pc and paying for lessons in computer skills I applied for a job with them, filled in the application form, answered a phone interview then got the call to come up to carrick-on-shannon for a face to face interview. The interview at the place itself lasted approx five minutes where I was interviewed by someone who was snidey, sarcastic and just plain nasty. Five minutes of questions put to me in a condescending manner finished off with the comment "thats a lot of big words your using" when I finished answering her queries. The interview was on a Monday 3rd of February, the rejection letter came on Wednesday the 5th of February and it was dated Tuesday the 4th of February. The Interviewer obviously did not consider my application for too long. I had to wait six months to apply again. When I did reapply I did not even get an interview, just a rejection letter. Again another six month wait and after I applied again I rang them up and HR told me that if I was not successful the first few times then its obvious that i was not a suitable candidate for the job. I am not the only one who had to put up with ignorant so and so's during the recruitment process for mbna. I thought I gave a bad interview, but not so, from what I was told from other people who applied. It was only later I found out that the interviewers can be quite rude and have a attitude that "only the very best can work here" even though at the time people were leaving the company by the droves because they could not stand the pressure they were under to hit sales targets. One would think that mbna would be glad that people were applying for jobs with the company given the word of mouth that was going round about them. Now I pass by mbna on my way into carrick and all I can say as I drive by is "welcome to the dole queue you muppets".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What an ass. Maybe they required people that understand what paragraphs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

gpf101 wrote: »
    What an ass. Maybe they required people that understand what paragraphs are.

its one long paragraph you kunt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the word schadenfreude but this is one of the least savoury examples I can think of, winter soldier.

As regards the card business overall, undoubtedly BoA will seek to sell as a going concern if at allpossible. Prior to the financial crisis, a premium would ave been available. Despite the likely credit losses in the business both in the UK and Ireland, I suspect that it would always be capable of being sold for a premium. Question whether A mono line like Capital One might cow back o the Market.

This was always going to be a marginal business for BoA which has no nhatural funding base in GBP or EUR. While securitisation markets were open, funding was easy, now less profitable. The absence of cross selling opportunities will have driven the nail in the coffin.

It will be interesting to see whether one of the major UK banks picks this up - do not fool yourselves Ireland is only a small piece here. If they do,there might be some hope for CoS if it is a true low cat processing operation. Sone of the UK banks are getting more grief for Asian processing sites and might be able to keep this open.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

gpf101 and winter soldier do not resort to petty insults on the thread, if you have a problem with a post then use the report function and a moderator will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had a lot of issues with MBNA down through the years. A lot of underhanded stuff, statements not being sent, then getting hit by overdue charges, getting a statement on a Monday, and a phonecall about being overdue on a tuesday.

Really nasty messy stuff TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

its one long paragraph you kunt

Cheers for that. Being so happy at the prospect of those "muppets" working there joining the dole queue is really poor form. It also has nothing to do with the discussion on the future prospects for the business.

I am an MBNA customer but only for a few months. I find they're online service great and have had no problems with them. I would be sorry to see them wind it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 IMC2009

I cannot believe anyone would be pleased to see so many people in the locality loose their jobs. Its a disgraceful thing to say.
    Obviously a lot of people have had bad experiences with the company but that is no excuse for such a show of bad will towards the employees who will be left with very little employment prospects in the surrounding areas.
    Not only will it be a disaster for the employees (many of who will have to leave the area) it will also cause a huge loss of business for many of the local industries.
    I for one am praying a positive outcome is reached with, at the very least, a percentage of the jobs saved.
    In times like these with so many people struggling to survive on welfare surely no body can be so heartless as to "welcome" more on to the dole line.
    Horrified by that comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I can empathize with the people whose jobs are in doubt and the inevitable tough times ahead, however as far as MBNA is concerned all I can say is good riddance tbh.

Very hard to see why anyone would want to buy their CC business, surely it must be dead in the water at this stage? Prepaid and Debit cards seem to be the way forward and there are any number of offerings on the market now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement