Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

It is nice to see mbna finally buggering off as I always had the sneaking suspicion that it would not last. After buying a pc and paying for lessons in computer skills I applied for a job with them, filled in the application form, answered a phone interview then got the call to come up to carrick-on-shannon for a face to face interview. The interview at the place itself lasted approx five minutes where I was interviewed by someone who was snidey, sarcastic and just plain nasty. Five minutes of questions put to me in a condescending manner finished off with the comment "thats a lot of big words your using" when I finished answering her queries. The interview was on a Monday 3rd of February, the rejection letter came on Wednesday the 5th of February and it was dated Tuesday the 4th of February. The Interviewer obviously did not consider my application for too long. I had to wait six months to apply again. When I did reapply I did not even get an interview, just a rejection letter. Again another six month wait and after I applied again I rang them up and HR told me that if I was not successful the first few times then its obvious that i was not a suitable candidate for the job. I am not the only one who had to put up with ignorant so and so's during the recruitment process for mbna. I thought I gave a bad interview, but not so, from what I was told from other people who applied. It was only later I found out that the interviewers can be quite rude and have a attitude that "only the very best can work here" even though at the time people were leaving the company by the droves because they could not stand the pressure they were under to hit sales targets. One would think that mbna would be glad that people were applying for jobs with the company given the word of mouth that was going round about them. Now I pass by mbna on my way into carrick and all I can say as I drive by is "welcome to the dole queue you muppets".

Strange post.

You went for a job interview, didn't get it and kept reapplying to be rejected again and again. The recruiter I assume was telling you not to keep wasting your time applying.

You thought you gave a bad interview - well, obviously something was wrong as you didn't get the job - however, other people who applied told you that you didn't even though they would have no knowledge of what your interview was like.

People leave call centres all the time - it's the nature of the industry and in these recessionary times I would assume MBNA can be more selective of who they want to employ.

You take pleasure in the staff now facing unemployment yet you must be unemployed (or have been unemployed) or unhappy in your current role yourself if you are unsuccessfully applying for a job in MBNA three times over an 18 month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

That's a pity. Hopefully they are sold rather than wound down. Well at least until I have enough SonyCard points saved to cover the LED TV.. oh and to save the jobs of course.

I've used an MBNA credit card since I started my current job. I travel most of the year putting everything through on the card and claim expenses at the end of the month. Obviously it's good that the Celtic Tiger credit card limits are over - but it's not many credit card companies that you can ring, explain your work situation and get a limit that covers flights and living in a hotel for a month. The website is great for filling out expense sheets too.

I always found the Customer Service staff really helpful. Being an idiot I've lost a few cards and they've always got a new one out to me ASAP. BoI just tell me to call into my branch if I need a card sent abroad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

That's a pity. Hopefully they are sold rather than wound down. Well at least until I have enough SonyCard points saved to cover the LED TV.. oh and to save the jobs of course.

I've used an MBNA credit card since I started my current job. I travel most of the year putting everything through on the card and claim expenses at the end of the month. Obviously it's good that the Celtic Tiger credit card limits are over - but it's not many credit card companies that you can ring, explain your work situation and get a limit that covers flights and living in a hotel for a month. The website is great for filling out expense sheets too.

I always found the Customer Service staff really helpful. Being an idiot I've lost a few cards and they've always got a new one out to me ASAP. BoI just tell me to call into my branch if I need a card sent abroad..

It's actually amazing how each individual customers experience with MBNA differs, my own being pretty horrendous. Still, I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. Experienced it myself last month so know what they're going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

CSC wrote: »
    Strange post.

You went for a job interview, didn't get it and kept reapplying to be rejected again and again. The recruiter I assume was telling you not to keep wasting your time applying.

You thought you gave a bad interview - well, obviously something was wrong as you didn't get the job - however, other people who applied told you that you didn't even though they would have no knowledge of what your interview was like.

People leave call centres all the time - it's the nature of the industry and in these recessionary times I would assume MBNA can be more selective of who they want to employ.

You take pleasure in the staff now facing unemployment yet you must be unemployed (or have been unemployed) or unhappy in your current role yourself if you are unsuccessfully applying for a job in MBNA three times over an 18 month period.

i neglected to mention the interview took place in feb 2003 and i only found out later on about their high turnover of staff. other people that i spoke to through the years have given me similar stories about their experiences when being interviewed by mbna.

as far as being rejected by mbna the rejection letter said that i had to wait for a period of 6 months before reapplying. people do reapply for the same jobs, sometimes they even get said job. persistence pays off once in a while.

as far as the interview is concerned a five minute interview that was not conducted in a professional manner by a so and so with an attitude problem means that i did not get a fair crack of the whip. i wonder did the interviewer ever received any training in interviewing people or how to conduct in interview properly. somehow i dont think so. i never came across anyone else in an interview situation that acted like that, before or after mbna.

my final point about all of this is that after all that time waiting (6 months) to reapply then just get a reject letter and after another long wait being told to bugger off over the phone is hardly fair. its not like i gave a bad interview i did my homework and paid for computer lessons as well so i had the required skills. people i knew were getting in left right and centre and i was unfortunate to have been interviewed by someone who clearly couldnt be bothered to do her job properly and kinda let the role of interviewer go to her head. of course there were other people who i knew or spoke to that had the same nonsense to put up with like i did.

if my application was taken seriously and carefully considered and i still did not get in well fair enough then thats their call to make. but it didnt happen like that at all. of course now that i have heard about what goes on there in mbna and the kind of pressure to make sales that people are put under i would be in two minds to reapply.

but hey that place will be shutting up shop soon so boo hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

i neglected to mention the interview took place in feb 2003

So you don't hold a grudge then? Pathetic.

You weren't good enough for the job. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hey winter soldier i am sure your interview went just as well as your entry to this thread. Grudges like that for 8 years. Cant believe they rejected you :rolleyes:

Anyone who is saying these guys deserve it are tools. This is 800 peoples lives and their families living. A lot of these workers could be sole income for their families given the times we are in and this will have a serious impact on the Carrick area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bring it back on topic folks. winter soldier, your career to date and/or back history has not a lot to do with the issues pertinent to this forum. So unless you have something constructive to add, please don't post further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've had an MBNA card for 15 odd years. No problems worth mentioning. That said I use it mainly for online purchases and I pay my full bill at the end of each month.

Should I now be looking for a credit card from my own bank?

I though I had read that, because of my style of usage, some banks may refuse to give me a credit card account, as it wouldn't be lucrative enough for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

As far as I know most people pay back the full amount on the due date. The companies make their money from the charges to retailers. (and the people who are late making repayments)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I've had an MBNA card for years now - I applied for, and was approved for a BOI credit card about 3 months ago (I wanted to have all my banking under 1 institution for convenience). When I actually received the card, the credit limit they had given me was laughable. It would have hardly allowed me to book a flight and hotel for me and my wife. There was no budging on it when I rang them, so I cancelled the card and stayed with MBNA.

Presumably, if MBNA don't find a buyer a lot of people are going to find themselves in the position where they need a higher limit than they will be offered by other institutions

• Advertisement

Should I now be looking for a credit card from my own bank?

As it stands, it's business as usual, so unless you feel the need to do so, I wouldn't bother until things are clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I've had an MBNA card for years now - I applied for, and was approved for a BOI credit card about 3 months ago (I wanted to have all my banking under 1 institution for convenience). When I actually received the card, the credit limit they had given me was laughable. It would have hardly allowed me to book a flight and hotel for me and my wife. There was no budging on it when I rang them, so I cancelled the card and stayed with MBNA.

Presumably, if MBNA don't find a buyer a lot of people are going to find themselves in the position where they need a higher limit than they will be offered by other institutions

So front load it to make larger transactions. A couple of days before you want to use it, add cash into it. Then you will build up a bigger limit in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

So front load it to make larger transactions. A couple of days before you want to use it, add cash into it. Then you will build up a bigger limit in no time.

Ok, fair point, I hadn't considered that.

Buy why should I have to? The paltry limit I was offered suggested that I was a potentially irresponsible member of the public who could only be trusted with a few hundred euro. My credit history says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

I used to work in MBNA aswell, I don't know if they've up on 1000 staff anymore. There has been redundancies in recent months that I don't think hit the news.

Also have one of their Sony CC's and about a month ago got a letter informing me they were no longer going to be doing the cards in connection with Sony and I would be sent a normal MBNA one, so this could have been part of that reason. Ideally would like to see someone come in and buy them out so my card will keep going...and obviously some jobs will be kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Anyone know whats happening with this crowd. What will happen to any cards/accounts issued by them. Don't feel its appropriate to ring and ask their customer service people, when they could well be out of a job over this.

Business as usual for the time being..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I_am_an_angel

I would advise caution here. Any monies you place on top of your credit limit are not fraud protected so if you lose your card and someone spends on it the bank will only cover the amount which was spent within the credit limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I_am_an_angel

This may not be the worst thing that ever happened. The company has been in existence since 1996 and like everything it has come to the end of the road. Ireland's reputation has been severely damaged by the IMF bailouts and I suspect MBNA is only one of a long list of US companies which will pull out of Ireland over the next few years. Watch this space

i cant log into my mbna account on line to check my credit card statement, it asked me to register with the bank that took the business over but after filling in all my details it says not available at this time when i press the submit button, tried several times and nothing.
    Anyone else have this problem. only contacty is a premium rate phone number.
    Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

i cant log into my mbna account on line to check my credit card statement, it asked me to register with the bank that took the business over but after filling in all my details it says not available at this time when i press the submit button, tried several times and nothing.
    Anyone else have this problem. only contacty is a premium rate phone number.
    Y
    See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056851684

• Advertisement

Thread closed as there is current thread on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement