Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2005 Laptop Refurb - need advice on establishing new internet connection

Options
  • 15-08-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Boards,

This is my very first post. Can I be cheeky to use it to ask for advice?

I have refurbished a 2005 Dell (Un)Inspiron 1501 w/Windows XP for very light word processing use and browsing etc. I upgraded the RAM myself from a paltry 512MB to 2GB.

Problem! - No internet connection at all.

I have a vodafone wireless network in my house which I run my 'good' PC, my iPhone and my Apple TV off of. No problems. Only, my 2005 Dell neither recognises the wireless network or even picks up that I've put the yello ethernet cable in in the back. Even when I try to establish a new internet connection, as instructed by the computer, nothing.

Help!

Regards,

FrankTank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Your router is probably transmitting 54 g only, it may need 54 b, change your router to transmit b&g.

Ring vodafone if you need help, every router is different ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've just reloaded XP onto a 1501 myself a couple of days ago. Does DeviceManager show the ethernet and the wifi adapters ?

Mine shows
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

If you havent already, check the device manager.

If there are any highlighted items in there you need to install drivers. If networkin adaptors (or similar) is one of those, then there is your problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

FrankTank wrote: »
    Hi Boards,

This is my very first post. Can I be cheeky to use it to ask for advice?

I have refurbished a 2005 Dell (Un)Inspiron 1501 w/Windows XP for very light word processing use and browsing etc. I upgraded the RAM myself from a paltry 512MB to 2GB.

Problem! - No internet connection at all.

I have a vodafone wireless network in my house which I run my 'good' PC, my iPhone and my Apple TV off of. No problems. Only, my 2005 Dell neither recognises the wireless network or even picks up that I've put the yello ethernet cable in in the back. Even when I try to establish a new internet connection, as instructed by the computer, nothing.

Help!

Regards,

FrankTank.
    what service pack have you? When i restored a compaq laptop with sp2 it would not connect to net and i recall there being an issue with sp2 and connection but cannot find it now. sp3 resolved it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I put xp pro sp3 on mine, here is the driver page at dell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I put xp pro sp3 on mine, here is the driver page at dell
    can you go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all
    note space between g and the /all
    and post here the text

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FrankTank

Hello all - so sorry about the ridiculously long delay in replying. I sorted the problem - thank you all.

Advertisement