Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill paid, but they say they undercharged.

Options
  • 15-08-2011 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,

We had to pay a visit to the vets recently with our dog who was quite sick. We were quoted for an overnight stay and paid a deposit. During the night the dog became sicker and she required an operation, the vets told us it would be between 2 to 400 euro. our dog unfortunately didn't make it. the next day we went to the vets to pick her up and fix up our bill. The vet told us that under the circumstances she was only charging us for the original quote - we asked was she sure and she said yes. So we fixed up our bill paying the original quoted amount in full. In work today my husband received a phonecall from the vets office to say they were sorry but there was a balance on the account and we were undercharged. He hasn't paid the amount they're looking for as he didn't have his visa card with him but I just wanted to check out if in fact they're entitled legally to charge us the additional money after they said they we're not going to.
    I just want to know where the law stands on this kind of issue.

Thanks

Velo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Did you get a receipt when you paid? Did it say settled in full?

I think it sounds very unusual for them to now come after you for more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

let them repossess the dog...

In other opinions I wouldn't pay them anymore. You asked for a final bill, received it and paid it. After that any mistakes is there own and they should suffer the losses and learn from it to double check the final bill before issuing it.

It would be a different story if you hadn't paid the bill to begin with but you did seek to clarify the final billing cost and you were given one. I'd tell them that and ask they don't contact you further regarding the matter as it's a sensitive issue seeing as the dog passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Velomihottie

Yes we have a final receipt showing that we paid in full, and we were not issued any other bills. I thought it was a bit much that they're calling us especially considering how upset we are given that our lovely dog is gone.

From a legal standpoint are we required to pay the extra amount though? Considering that when they told us initially that the operation would cost us and we agreed?

I'd like to make a donation to the DSPCA with the money at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Yawns wrote: »
    let them repossess the dog...

In other opinions I wouldn't pay them anymore. You asked for a final bill, received it and paid it. After that any mistakes is there own and they should suffer the losses and learn from it to double check the final bill before issuing it.

It would be a different story if you hadn't paid the bill to begin with but you did seek to clarify the final billing cost and you were given one. I'd tell them that and ask they don't contact you further regarding the matter as it's a sensitive issue seeing as the dog passed away.

Obviously you neither have pets nor ever visited a vet. Vets are amazing people, I hold them in higher esteem than doctors. In this case there may be a simple error as its not unknown for vets to forgo a fee if an animal has passed away.

Weather on not the vet is a nice person i'm sure they are isn't the issue. I'm not doubting this, or questioning the care our dog received. But we were told we had paid fully, and have a receipt saying that. Do they have a legal right to ask us to pay more now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But we were told we had paid fully, and have a receipt saying that. Do they have a legal right to ask us to pay more now?

As long as the receipt says paid in full, then you're in the clear, I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Hi all,

We had to pay a visit to the vets recently with our dog who was quite sick. We were quoted for an overnight stay and paid a deposit. During the night the dog became sicker and she required an operation, the vets told us it would be between 2 to 400 euro. our dog unfortunately didn't make it. the next day we went to the vets to pick her up and fix up our bill.
    Was someone with the Dog all night? Or did they go in the next day and the dog was dead do you think? They've some neck on them to come looking for money after the dog dying I think.
    maxer68 wrote: »
    Obviously you neither have pets nor ever visited a vet. Vets are amazing people, I hold them in higher esteem than doctors. In this case there may be a simple error as its not unknown for vets to forgo a fee if an animal has passed away.
    Are you a Vet????

I've yet to meet one I'd bring an pet/animal back to for a second visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ha, don't make me laugh... I had cause to bring my dog to a vet about 8 months ago, I had no money, until I got paid a few days later. I explained this to the vet before I brought the dog down and was told it was fine that he wouldn't refuse a sick dog.

I brought him down and he needed to be kept in overnight for treatment, again I told the vet that I had no money until the day I got paid (It was a Monday and I didn't get paid until the Thursday), again I was assured that that was fine and I could settle the bill when I had the money. Run to the next day, doggy all better, thanks to the vet, but suddenly I wasn't allowed to take my dog back until the bill was settled in full, and an extra two days board for good measure, I now understand the importance of insurance, although I was naive before and even couldn't have paid the excess of the insurance, had I had it at the time, until the day I got paid. A vet practice is a business, plain and simple.

OP, I hope you get it sorted, but I wouldn't be paying them another penny especially if it was agreed that what you paid at the time was the full bill. Sorry for your loss.

Maybe I'm lucky and have a vet that is more decent than others. Therefore I can recommend the cottage vet in newbridge and grey abbey in kildare town both of whom put animals before money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Weather on not the vet is a nice person i'm sure they are isn't the issue. I'm not doubting this, or questioning the care our dog received. But we were told we had paid fully, and have a receipt saying that. Do they have a legal right to ask us to pay more now?

They have a legal right to ask and you can legally refuse to pay. You have a receipt saying paid in full and you repeatedly asked was that the total amount. I'd ignore them.

It'll cost them more if they go legal to get any money off you and solicitors letters only show that they paid someone else to write a letter.

The only issue is that if you get another pet you may not be able to use them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is not a forum to discuss vets. That can be undetaken in the Animals & Pet Issues forum.

Stick to the topic - which is about paying a bill.

Joanne

I fail to see your need to being this up. The vet could be a saint or an asshole, either way the OP asked for a final bill, received a final bill & paid an agreed final bill only to be contacted a few days later with an amendment to the final bill which was paid in full.

I have had pets before and come across good and bad vets. You get good and bad professionals in every profession tho. Vets are just another business and I wouldn't go holding them in higher esteem than doctors or firefighters and so forth. Vets work hard to get qualified along with other professions and they get paid well too. Sorry Dudara for dragging it off a bit after your warning but just wanted to clear that up a bit. My main point about the final bill still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'd like to make a donation to the DSPCA with the money at this point.

:confused::confused: Why would you feel the need to do that?
    The vet made a mistake and didn't charge you enough and you obviously agree. But you want to give the money to anybody but the vet? Your guilty conscience is saying you should give the money to a charity.
    Is it that you feel you have the power to punish the vet for his/her accounting mistake? Do you think it's a pretend business?

It's a business ffs, it needs to make a profit!

Hold on Happyman, if we're getting the true and accurate facts from the OP, then the Vet had ample opportunity to supply a correct and final bill figure. The was an original quote and then a higher quote. The dog passed away so the vet went with the original quote. Fair play and they didn't have to. But when the final bill is paid in full and receipts issued, it's a bit silly to go asking for more money.

The OP feels that if he has to pay any extra money at this stage then he'd rather give it to charity. He should even feel this as he doesn't owe any more money out. He double checked that the final bill quote was correct and given assurances.

If you went into a TV shop today and saw a TV on sale til Monday 15th, you liked it and went to buy it, find out that they didn't put it back to normal price so you got it at sale price outside of the sale. If someone rang you on Wednesday telling you owed them the difference would you go down to them to pay it?

Hold on Happyman, if we're getting the true and accurate facts from the OP, then the Vet had ample opportunity to supply a correct and final bill figure. The was an original quote and then a higher quote. The dog passed away so the vet went with the original quote. Fair play and they didn't have to. But when the final bill is paid in full and receipts issued, it's a bit silly to go asking for more money.

The OP feels that if he has to pay any extra money at this stage then he'd rather give it to charity. He should even feel this as he doesn't owe any more money out. He double checked that the final bill quote was correct and given assurances.

If you went into a TV shop today and saw a TV on sale til Monday 15th, you liked it and went to buy it, find out that they didn't put it back to normal price so you got it at sale price outside of the sale. If someone rang you on Wednesday telling you owed them the difference would you go down to them to pay it?

If it was a genuine mistake, yes I would, otherwise I would feel I had gotten something dodgy. Happened to me several times in business.
    Mistakes happen, the OP feels guilty, pay your bill, purge the guilt.

So if someone rang you and said, "Hi we undercharged you by about €400, will you please come down to pay us even tho we can't legally do anything about it such as bring you to court or even send you a nasty letter as it was out fault. The tv scanned for 400 instead of 800, you paid what we asked now come and pay us the rest please."

Sure I believe you would run down in your pjs to pay that straight away.

However in reality you would be very annoyed at the cheek of them ringing you after the sale because of their own mistake. You paid what was requested as the full and final amount OP. You need not pay another cent.

So if someone rang you and said, "Hi we undercharged you by about €400, will you please come down to pay us even tho we can't legally do anything about it such as bring you to court or even send you a nasty letter as it was out fault. The tv scanned for 400 instead of 800, you paid what we asked now come and pay us the rest please."

Sure I believe you would run down in your pjs to pay that straight away.

However in reality you would be very annoyed at the cheek of them ringing you after the sale because of their own mistake. You paid what was requested as the full and final amount OP. You need not pay another cent.

The OP is making a payment to charity because they feel guilty...why not pay it to the vet? It isn't his/her job to 'punish' the vet.

p.s. I don't spend my time looking for people to make mistakes I can benefit by. As I say, if the shop adequately explained they had made an honest mistake I'd pony up. It called having a conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The OP is making a payment to charity because they feel guilty...why not pay it to the vet? It isn't his/her job to 'punish' the vet.
    Unless the OP clarifies that, you have no reason to claim that they feel "guilty". It could be more of a "fnck you" to the vet for having the gall to demand more money after the bill has been settled.

They doublechecked with the vet that the bill was correct and it was confirmed. Conscience clear.

OP, no you are under no obligation to pay more. If they undercharged you, that's their problem. A bill is a bill, once paid it cannot be amended.

I don't feel in least bit guilty, I'm annoyed that they said our bill was paid and now are calling us looking for more money while we're grieving. What I think has happened is the vet and nurse on duty decided to waive any further charges and now the boss has come in and admonished them for doing so, and told then to bill us again. I'm goin to dig my heels in about this, and any donation I make will be because its bad natured to come back and chase a grieving family for more money after telling us we had paid fully

I don't feel in least bit guilty, I'm annoyed that they said our bill was paid and now are calling us looking for more money while we're grieving. What I think has happened is the vet and nurse on duty decided to waive any further charges and now the boss has come in and admonished them for doing so, and told then to bill us again. I'm goin to dig my heels in about this, and any donation I make will be because its bad natured to come back and chase a grieving family for more money after telling us we had paid fully

The vet and the nurse made a mistake, maybe the boss has to make the books balance?

I feel the need to make a donation to ISME's Benevolent Fund. ;)

• Advertisement

The vet and the nurse made a mistake, maybe the boss has to make the books balance?

I feel the need to make a donation to ISME's Benevolent Fund. ;)

Then its the bosses job to put procedures in place that ensure this kind of embarrassing turn around doesn't happen.

Then its the bosses job to put procedures in place that ensure this kind of embarrassing turn around doesn't happen.

Whatever helps you sleep nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The OP queried the bill, received an answer and then settled. That is the end of the matter.

What is the additiona balance related to? It is the same visit?

dudara wrote: »
    The OP queried the bill, received an answer and then settled. That is the end of the matter.

Yes, related to the same visit. Happyman you don't seem to live up to your name and seem bitter. There's no need for it

dudara wrote: »

The OP queried the bill with the vet that made the mistake. The boss/accounts office say it wasn't the right amount.
    and seem bitter.

Not bitter, no, just in business. Funny how the business is never allowed to make an honest mistake and the customer is always right. :rolleyes:

Don't pay the bill if you are angry, but rest assured you have gotten something for nothing.

The OP queried the bill with the vet that made the mistake. The boss/accounts office say it wasn't the right amount.

Not bitter, no, just in business. Funny how the business is never allowed to make an honest mistake and the customer is always right. :rolleyes:

Don't pay the bill if you are angry, but rest assured you have gotten something for nothing.

I queried the bill when it was issued and paid the amount I was told. I've got something for nothing? I've paid the bill I was given and I've got a dead dog. If you are in business the mistakes you make, or your business makes are paid for by you. I'm sorry if your business isn't doing well but there is no need to be so odious and take it out on me.

I queried the bill when it was issued and paid the amount I was told. I've got something for nothing? I've paid the bill I was given and I've got a dead dog. If you are in business the mistakes you make, or your business makes are paid for by you. I'm sorry if your business isn't doing well but there is no need to be so odious and take it out on me.

You came on here looking for advice on how not to pay a bill. I gave my opinion.
    My business is doing fine, I have a base of customers whom I look after and who have no problem paying for the service.
    Both I and my customers are only human and mistakes will happen.

Well I'm glad your business is going well. I think you're confused though, I've paid the bill I was given. I was told that my obligations had been discharged. I was then asked to pay more. I didn't come here to find out how to not pay a bill, I came to see if it was legal to tell someone their bill was paid and to then turn around and say ohh whoops remember that time you paid your bill, well you need to pay more because we were wrong despite you querying the bill when you got it first. You can read my posts again if you wish. I'll let you get back o satisfying your customers now.

You came on here looking for advice on how not to pay a bill. I gave my opinion.

No the OP came on to see if they can be made pay when they thought they had already settled in full.

What a lot of people are not understanding is that some vets (obviously not all) will waive some charges when an animal dies - or when brought in by someone who has found an injured animal. It is not an unusual occurance and as such the OP would not have seen anything incorrect or strange in the offer of not charging for some services and saw it a a gesture in a fairly sad moment. Its not like buying a TV or a trolley of groceries.

The OP needs to talk to the vet and explain what they thought had happened and possibly come to a mutually favourable agreement. (eg 50%)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

No you dont need too pay anymore too vet, business often under price work and they take a hit but that is their worry not yours...

Advertisement