Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill paid, but they say they undercharged.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

maxer68 wrote: »
    when they thought they had already settled in full.
    Not according to the accounts dept/boss. The vet was obviously doing something they had no right to do.
    maxer68 wrote: »
    What a lot of people are not understanding is that some vets (obviously not all) will waive some charges when an animal dies - or when brought in by someone who has found an injured animal. It is not an unusual occurance and as such the OP would not have seen anything incorrect or strange in the offer of not charging for some services and saw it a a gesture in a fairly sad moment. Its not like buying a TV or a trolley of groceries.

The OP needs to talk to the vet and explain what they thought had happened and possibly come to a mutually favourable agreement. (eg 50%)

At least that is more reasonable than advising somebody not to pay in anger!
    The OP and hubby agreed to pay the larger amount initially. It is not as if the figure came out of the blue, the 'vet' made a mistake. Mistakes are made all the time. It's not a legal issue, it is a simple moral issue here, eg. Where services to the value of x received or not and are you going to walk away from the bill for those services? Legally, you may very well be within your rights but morally, you are wrong, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Velomihottie

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Not according to the accounts dept/boss. The vet was obviously doing something they had no right to do.

At least that is more reasonable than advising somebody not to pay in anger!
    The OP and hubby agreed to pay the larger amount initially. It is not as if the figure came out of the blue, the 'vet' made a mistake. Mistakes are made all the time. It's not a legal issue, it is a simple moral issue here, eg. Where services to the value of x received or not and are you going to walk away from the bill for those services? Legally, you may very well be within your rights but morally, you are wrong, I'm afraid.

I totally agree with you that one should pay for services done, alas we were told that our payment covered those services. However I don't want to cause the girl who told us we had paid to get in trouble and potentially lose their job. I'll approach them and offer 50% . I don't think that's unreasonable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Any company I ever worked for always looked after the customer. If the customer was under charged for what ever reason the company took the hit and a lesson was learned. Be that a word of advice from head to a formal group meeting and out lining company policies etc.

You do not go chasing the customer looking for more money. Only time is if you agree an amount and the customer doesn't pay that amount in full. If you undercharge, then issue a final bill, they pay it, you realise mistake after payment of full and final bill then the company takes the hit. You do not go asking for more money.

Happyman I call bs on ur answer that you'd go back to anywhere and pay the full amount because you think you'd ripped them off or got some dodgy. Your in the wrong and you know it but won't admit it. Anywhere that has a policy of chasing customers for money after the company made a mistake will not receive custom from those in future.

Do they really want to drive these customers away. It's not like the OP has skipped out on the bill. They paid in full what they were asked to pay. Be it the nurse or vet who made the mistake, they represent the company and the company should suffer this loss in the hope of gaining future custom. If they want more money I would suggest the OP name and shame them. How much money is worth them to have bad publicity. As I said it's not like the OP refused to pay for the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yawns wrote: »
    Any company I ever worked for always looked after the customer. If the customer was under charged for what ever reason the company took the hit and a lesson was learned. Be that a word of advice from head to a formal group meeting and out lining company policies etc.

You do not go chasing the customer looking for more money. Only time is if you agree an amount and the customer doesn't pay that amount in full. If you undercharge, then issue a final bill, they pay it, you realise mistake after payment of full and final bill then the company takes the hit. You do not go asking for more money.

Happyman I call bs on ur answer that you'd go back to anywhere and pay the full amount because you think you'd ripped them off or got some dodgy. Your in the wrong and you know it but won't admit it. Anywhere that has a policy of chasing customers for money after the company made a mistake will not receive custom from those in future.

Do they really want to drive these customers away. It's not like the OP has skipped out on the bill. They paid in full what they were asked to pay. Be it the nurse or vet who made the mistake, they represent the company and the company should suffer this loss in the hope of gaining future custom. If they want more money I would suggest the OP name and shame them. How much money is worth them to have bad publicity. As I said it's not like the OP refused to pay for the service.

To my reading the fact is; 'The Company didn't make a mistake, one of their vets did something they obviously aren't supposed to. The Company are out of pocket for services rendered.
    Customer has a moral decision to make.

I totally agree with you that one should pay for services done, alas we were told that our payment covered those services. However I don't want to cause the girl who told us we had paid to get in trouble and potentially lose their job. I'll approach them and offer 50% . I don't think that's unreasonable.

Fairplay!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To my reading the fact is; 'The Company didn't make a mistake, one of their vets did something they obviously aren't supposed to. The Company are out of pocket for services rendered.

From my reading. Customer asked for final bill, got it, queried it and got confirmation. Boss person comes in and sees a mistake and then chases customer.

It's the companies fault and they will have to change their policies in further to avoid this, but the OP owes then nothing morally or legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

The vet specifically said she was only charging for the original quote and when the OP asked 'are you sure' the vet said yes. Obviously its in the vets power to charge what she likes or she wouldnt have said that in the first place. So that was the price the vet gave to the OP and which was paid and now whoever is calling up the OP looking for payment is the one that is out of order.

If you buy something in a store and a member of staff purposely gives you a discount that is in their power to do, why on earth would you then pay more if someone else from the store started coming after you looking for more money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

At least I'm not alone in thinking the OP shouldn't have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In work today my husband received a phonecall from the vets office to say they were sorry but there was a balance on the account and we were undercharged.
    I'm thinking that the vet charged you the correct amount, but didn't note it on the computer that it was paid in full. Someone ran a report, saw that some bits weren't marked as having been paid, and rang you about it.

I'd say the best idea would be to ring the vet, and query the charge; the vet probably didn't know anyone had rang you.
    January wrote: »
    but suddenly I wasn't allowed to take my dog back until the bill was settled in full, and an extra two days board for good measure, I now understand the importance of insurance, although I was naive before and even couldn't have paid the excess of the insurance, had I had it at the time, until the day I got paid. A vet practice is a business, plain and simple.
    A business would have told you to come back when you have the money. Although the way they did it was a bit sneaky, I think you shouldn't hold anything against the vet who was went out on a limb for you.

Advertisement