Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snake Emergency Please Help

• 15-08-2011 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi,

My boyfriend has a baby California king snake and somehow it escaped under its enclosure and got stuck to the heat back that was secured under the enclosure with duct tape. My boyfriend had to peel him off as he was so stuck. You could smell his almost ready to shed skin and then when he finally got him off he curled up in a spiral and was stiff and didn't move. We were convinced he was dead. After we put him back he moved, we were so happy. He seems ok but in shock but were worried there might be some internal damage. We rang every vet possible but theyre either closed or dont deal with snakes. Were letting him bathe in shallow warm water. Can someone please advise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP I can move this thread to the vivarium section if you prefer, or I can leave it here for a bit and move it later if you want to see if anyone here can recommend a vet in Cork first?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

As long as there aren't any open wounds, he should be fine. Did he lose any scales, or are there any marks on him?
    Gillabbey veterinary clinic are about the best to contact around Cork when it comes to exotics. Best to get him checked out tomorrow just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Oh my Gog; I'm freaking out for you just reading that. Horrors. Did you try calling the reptile house in temple bar ; google it they're really sound and might have an email/ emergency number. And ditto Kinsealy pet shop in Kinsealy Dublin ; they live next door to he shop so you might get some joy; normally dead sound and they sell and do reptile pet sitting so might know . Feel dreadful for you: good luck : 0
    Reptile house zoo!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Thanks but we're in Cork. tried reptile haven on the phone but they're closed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok OP explain this--didi the snake get caught in the heat mat?

If your saying he got caught in the duct tape and not the heat mat as such then I doubt theres any real injury.

Those heat mats dont give off enough heat to really burn unless the snake was there for hours and had a chance to heat up to a fairly high temperature????

The cool water should help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement