Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intro to Web Design course

• 15-08-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am hoping to run an evening course in Web Page Design (Intro) which will incorprate Dreamweaver and Fireworks CS5.

There is no formal assessment or exam on this course so I was thinking of perhaps giving them a project to do like a simple website that they can create throughout the duration of the course. (one day a week for 5 weeks)

If anybody is running this or a similar course I would love to hear what angle you take on it, what you feel should and should not be included etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Don't forget to explain how to get a website hosted. I completed a web course recently which forgot to cover this, which in my eyes was a pretty big thing to leave out.

Are you planning on giving a theme for the websites they create or letting them come up with it themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I will probably leave that up to themselves. As I said it will be very basic.

I was thinking about the hosting aspect. I will need to use a free hosting provider that will allow their ftp settings to be used in Dreamweaver!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

py2006 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am hoping to run an evening course in Web Page Design (Intro) which will incorprate Dreamweaver and Fireworks CS5.

There is no formal assessment or exam on this course so I was thinking of perhaps giving them a project to do like a simple website that they can create throughout the duration of the course. (one day a week for 5 weeks)

If anybody is running this or a similar course I would love to hear what angle you take on it, what you feel should and should not be included etc.

Thanks in advance

I don't know who the course is aimed at but If it's a night course for people who are just giving website design a go I'd be wary of using Dreamweaver and fireworks because of the expense. I use it myself but my school paid for it (about €300 educational price - 0ver €1000 full price ). There are plenty of free or cheap website packages out there that would give the most basic skills needed to understand basic web design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

jonseyblub wrote: »
    I don't know who the course is aimed at but If it's a night course for people who are just giving website design a go I'd be wary of using Dreamweaver and fireworks because of the expense. I use it myself but my school paid for it (about €300 educational price - 0ver €1000 full price ). There are plenty of free or cheap website packages out there that would give the most basic skills needed to understand basic web design.

Well the course was advertised as including Dreamweaver etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inov8ionz

I presume they will only have access to Dreamweaver on the pc on the day of the course? I have noticed that most people are asking about the following:

1. What web hosting is?
    2. What SEO is?
    3. Just presuming that once they have a website that it will be on the top of the search engines, and why they aren’t!
    4. How to buy a .ie domain name
    5. Why .ie domain names are harder to buy then generic top level domains

The biggest problem i found, is that there is so much to teach and trying to fit it all in is very difficult, even with a full time course in college it is hard to get it all in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement