Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to reclaim my .ie domain ?

• 15-08-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have been trading in Ireland for 4 years with a web business operating from a .com address. I have a Ltd company operating under the same name.

It has come to my attention that a competitor based in the UK has recently jumped in and registered the same domain name except with the .ie suffix.

This registration by the UK competitor was made under a Ltd company, which upon investigation I have found to be false i.e. the Ltd company does not exist and it is my belief that the company in question submitted false information to justify their claim to the .ie domain.

Is their grounds to dispute the domain ownership with the IEDR and get it back ? Thanks alot for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Moved from Development.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not sure this is the right forum either tbh.

Is your company registered in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

webdevdude wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been trading in Ireland for 4 years with a web business operating from a .com address. I have a Ltd company operating under the same name.

It has come to my attention that a competitor based in the UK has recently jumped in and registered the same domain name except with the .ie suffix.

This registration by the UK competitor was made under a Ltd company, which upon investigation I have found to be false i.e. the Ltd company does not exist and it is my belief that the company in question submitted false information to justify their claim to the .ie domain.

Is their grounds to dispute the domain ownership with the IEDR and get it back ? Thanks alot for any help

First of all you're not reclaiming it as it was never yours in the first place.

If it's a generic/keyword domain, say irishcars.ie, you probably have no hope. If it's a recognised brand you might have a chance.

If it wasn't that important to you to own it before someone else purchased it, why would you expect preferential treatment from the IEDR now? They're not there to protect your brand, that's your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

If the domain was obtained using falsified documents then the IEDR would reclaim the domain from them. You eligibility then to obtain the domain would be subject to normal IEDR registration policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Advertisement
Advertisement