Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Reset Cost

Options
  • 15-08-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Live in a rented house. Alarm was fully installed - 17 PIR's, 2 Keypads. All exterior doors and most windows have sensors.

The landlord doesn't know code, so we need to get a technician out to reset it. We had one out last saturday week (who quoted €100 to reset the alarm code) - he had to go and try to find some kind of code. He never came back, despite several phone calls promising he would.

We had an attempted break-in last week, after the Alarm dude was here and gone. We called the landlord, who gave us the number of the technician who installed it. We asked him to come out and he arranged a time today. He rang this evening and said he won't be out until tommorow morning.

The landlord then text us and said the alarm technician (presumably his mate) will be out tommorow and it will roughly cost €250 (which we have to pay, not him - a different story. Completely unfair, I know - but its something we have to live with)

This seems like a ridiculous price to get an alarm code reset, considering you can buy a control panel and keypad brand new for €70. Any idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Between €50-80 would be average.
    As they say Shop around!
    Can you tell me where I can buy a panel & keypad for €70:D
    I'm paying more than that for keypads:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

KoolKid wrote: »
    Between €50-80 would be average.
    As they say Shop around!
    Can you tell me where I can buy a panel & keypad for €70:D
    I'm paying more than that for keypads:rolleyes:

I thought this too.... thanks. I'll ring around plenty of local companies tommorow.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/8-zone-control-panel/99145 :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

bigneacy wrote: »

LOL.
    You get what you pay for.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

€100 seems fair enough to reset and reprogram a panel.
    €50 is too cheap for a non contract call out imo

LOL.
    They may be cheap and ungraded but they are extremely reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

LOL.

Might be crap, more secure than Visionic though.

Jnealon wrote: »
    €100 seems fair enough to reset and reprogram a panel.
    €50 is too cheap for a non contract call out imo

Jnealon, Koolkid, kub (and anyone else)

Have any reasonable, reliable suggestions for someone to do this for me ASAP (even tonight is not too soon!!! :()

I am in Dundalk. Its an Aritech system. (Previously a Garda Station linked one, which is now lapsed - some aspects wired, some aspects wireless)

kub wrote: »
    Might be crap, more secure than Visionic though.
    Kub , I have already asked you to refrain from making statements re Visonic that you can't back up.
    The system is EN50131 Grade 2. It is as reliable and secure as an other Grade 2 panel & you are not qualified to state otherwise. Without foundation , your claims could be considered defamatory . Do not persist in this line you are taking. Last warning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jnealon, Koolkid, kub (and anyone else)

Have any reasonable, reliable suggestions for someone to do this for me ASAP (even tonight is not too soon!!! :()

I am in Dundalk. Its an Aritech system. (Previously a Garda Station linked one, which is now lapsed - some aspects wired, some aspects wireless)

You should check out the PSA website for a list of installer close to you. Here is a link.

altor wrote: »
    You should check out the PSA website for a list of installer close to you. Here is a link.

We had the original alarm installer around today to have a look at it. My OH said he didn't seem to know what he was doing and seemed more interested in having a look round the house than fixing the alarm.

He said he didn't know how to fix it and left.

He was still there at the end of our driveway when she was leaving 15 minutes later and left when she was leaving. :confused:

• Advertisement

We had the original alarm installer around today to have a look at it. My OH said he didn't seem to know what he was doing and seemed more interested in having a look round the house than fixing the alarm.

He was still there at the end of our driveway when she was leaving 15 minutes later and left when she was leaving. :confused:

And he installed it :D

You are better off ringing a few local company's and scribble him out of the book ;)

And he installed it :D

You are better off ringing a few local company's and scribble him out of the book ;)

So, we've 3 alarm technicians around and all three concur that "it" (the board, i think) will need to be replaced at a cost of 200-250.

Any thoughts?

So, we've 3 alarm technicians around and all three concur that "it" (the board, i think) will need to be replaced at a cost of 200-250.

Any thoughts?

Just to reset the code ?

Any thoughts?
    Could well be the board as I have seen quite a few fail. This is usuallly down the voltage regulator on the board

Just to reset the code ?

Yep.
    Jnealon wrote: »
    Could well be the board as I have seen quite a few fail. This is usuallly down the voltage regulator on the board

The alarm still works. If you fiddle about with the keypad the alarm siren will go off for about 30-45 minutes. The keypads both display the "Alarm" warning and a red light flashing, as well as the green light and the time/date

The outside box flashes red, the PIR's illuminate when something is detected. Not being an alarm techie - these are all signs (to me) that the alarm is working. I could very well be wrong. Thought this would be simple - get alarm reset, get new code, easy peasy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Where would I get a new board for not a lot of money?

Would that one in my link be suitable or not? HELP!! :(

Yep.

The alarm still works. If you fiddle about with the keypad the alarm siren will go off for about 30-45 minutes. The keypads both display the "Alarm" warning and a red light flashing, as well as the green light and the time/date

The outside box flashes red, the PIR's illuminate when something is detected. Not being an alarm techie - these are all signs (to me) that the alarm is working. I could very well be wrong. Thought this would be simple - get alarm reset, get new code, easy peasy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Where would I get a new board for not a lot of money?

Would that one in my link be suitable or not? HELP!! :(

What system have you installed ?

I Have come across the odd system that just won't default.
    And then ther's the CS450 where the usual methods don't work.;)

Where theres a will there is a way with the CS450 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

All systems can be reset.

Some by the manufacture and some by ourselves :D

• Advertisement

What system have you installed ?

Its an Aritech. I'm not at home at the moment, but when I am later I will get exact model number and upload photo of the keypad and the board.

Its an Aritech. I'm not at home at the moment, but when I am later I will get exact model number and upload photo of the keypad and the board.

Did the installers try to default the system ? Very interested to see what system you have installed :D

Advertisement