Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do ye think??

Options
  • 15-08-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

A friend of mine has a business idea and wants to open a shop selling a certain product. he also has a friend in a similar situation (very different products). they are both toying with the idea of renting a shop between them... but it would be 2 separate businesses all the same... does anyone think this is do-able??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

A friend of mine has a business idea and wants to open a shop selling a certain product. he also has a friend in a similar situation (very different products). they are both toying with the idea of renting a shop between them... but it would be 2 separate businesses all the same... does anyone think this is do-able??

As long as they account for it properly it should be fine, make sure they have a decent till which allows them to code their own products seperately, only thing that may be difficult is if one business gets into trouble then other is likely to be liable for rent of the building etc if in arrears although that is something they will need to discuss.

One example of such is a take away restraunt attached to a petrol station, obviosuly 2 seperate businesses under one roof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭infamous

Alot of the pop up shops which have appeared recently have a number of business's within them these are usually somehow related ie crafts etc. I really think there needs to be some fit between the two products, like the petrol/chineese scenario mentioned by ssob would both have the convenience factor. Like selling food products and clothes wouldn work.

The big plus now is that landlords are prepared to offer leases on flexible terms and on short term basis so your friends could give this a go without been overly exposed. I have seen a unit in dublin advertised as a pop up shop available on flexible terms at €195 pw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

infamous wrote: »
    Like selling food products and clothes wouldn work.

Tell that to Tesco and Dunnes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭infamous

id imagine the op is talking about a small retail unit, good man yourself smcgiff great contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

infamous wrote: »
    id imagine the op is talking about a small retail unit, good man yourself smcgiff great contribution.

Thanks, don't mention it.

I actually agree with your general point, just not the example. The example I'd give of incompatible products would be, say, beauty/hygiene products (i.e. Bodyshop) and a car accessories shop (Halfords) - two different target markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I just hope it isn't a GP with an Undertaker out the back :rolleyes:

I think this is a great flexible way of doing Business now, different skillsets under one roof......as long as they are compatible and the personalities get along....great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ezspeeder

Yes it could work, but it does give rise to many potential difficulties. As already said what happens if one business fails? Think through what happens when things go wrong, as they often do - say you are not friends anymore? If one does not turn up for work one morning will the other cover? I know some of these may seem trivial, but trivial has a way of aggregating into significant. Def talk through all conceivable issues in advance and come to an understanding. Good luck.

Advertisement