Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official bike theft.

• 15-08-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw two gardaí "stealing" a bike locked to a street sign. Despite there great efforts, that lock was not breaking. They were using a car jack to break what looked like a heavy cable lock, which is the wrong way to go about it. The car jack trick only works on the D-shaped shackle locks. Then I looked closer and realised that it had been a shackle lock, except it was a wobbly O-shape now.

My suggestion of lifting it over the pole was ignored.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Victor wrote: »
    I just saw two gardaí "stealing" a bike locked to a street sign. Despite there great efforts, that lock was not breaking. They were using a car jack to break what looked like a heavy cable lock, which is the wrong way to go about it. The car jack trick only works on the D-shaped shackle locks. Then I looked closer and realised that it had been a shackle lock, except it was a wobbly O-shape now.

My suggestion of lifting it over the pole was ignored.

Did you ask them why they were "stealing" the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure it was down to the two embarrassed looking young women standing next to them, what with them only having one (other) bike between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I'd have put it down to poverty-but then again I'm probably slightly biased;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

brayblue24 wrote: »

Are our Boys in Blue suffering from the recession too then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

brayblue24 wrote: »

I'd have put it down to the youth of the women:)

Bet you if it was two hairy arsed middle-aged Freds they wouldn't get the same response!

Anyway, why didn't they just go get one of the local scallies - they'd probably have had it off in a shot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What make of D-lock was it? Reassuring that it stayed in one piece when so extended.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

xz wrote: »
    Are our Boys in Blue suffering from the recession too then??

Suffering more then most in the public sector I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What make of D-lock was it? Reassuring that it stayed in one piece when so extended.

Littering appears to have been added to bike theft. Pic taken a few days later.

174492.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not one of the famous top-of-the-range locks anyway.

Advertisement