Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Songs

• 15-08-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Tipp forum copied your famous people thread so we'll return a thread back

Any famous Clare songs?
    I like this one, remember learning it in primary school :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Working on the bogs in lisdoonvarna:

Coming back to miltown: (Dad used sing this on the tractor when i was a kid)

170931.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just edited the posts to embed the videos, if you want to open them in a new window, double click. To embed videos use the youtube tags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

"Take a view oer the water fine sights you'll see there
    You'll see the high rocky slopes on the West coast of Clare
    The towns of Kilrush and Kilkee can be seen

From the high rocky slopes at The Cliffs of Dooneen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

MrsD007 wrote: »
    "Take a view oer the water fine sights you'll see there
    You'll see the high rocky slopes on the West coast of Clare
    The towns of Kilrush and Kilkee can be seen

From the high rocky slopes at The Cliffs of Dooneen".

where in clare are the cliffs of dooneen? or does anyone know:confused:

My father in law tells me that the Cliffs of Dooneen are actually in Kerry but loads of people refer to the song as a Clare song because of the references to Kilrush and Kilkee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

My father in law tells me that the Cliffs of Dooneen are actually in Kerry but loads of people refer to the song as a Clare song because of the references to Kilrush and Kilkee :)
    as i thought:o so its a kerry song:P

The Kilfenora Ceili Band

If I could choose (The Hills of Clare)

Sung by Sean Dunphy in the 1967 Eurovision and came in second.

They envy me, my hills of Clare
    The white gulls calling in the soft sea air
    So much to lose
    And yet I'd leave the hills of Clare
    And live in a desert if I had you there
    What would I lose if I could choose?

If I could choose a place to walk with you
    I'd choose the longest road
    And it would lead us to a house that no one knew
    Bellows by the fire, and the turf smoke rising higher
    Than the lark that wings and always sings of you

If I could choose a time to talk with you
    I'd choose the longest day
    And over all the hills of Clare, I'd shout the news
    I would tell them how a day could last forever
    And I'd never leave your side if I could choose

If I could choose a time to talk with you
    I'd choose the longest day
    And over all the hills of Clare, I'd shout the news
    I would tell them how a day could last forever
    And I'd never leave your side if I could choose

I think we can claim this song too :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

This guy has really analysed it:

There's a "Dooneen" Point on the Kerry shore, 3 miles north of Ballybunion. Kilkee is 8 miles directly north across the Shannon estuary, and Kilrush is 8 miles to the north east.

I haven't been there, so I don't know if both towns would be visible. However, from the 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey map, I'd say so. Kilrush is across open water and the angle is quite tight but the north west area of the town looks to be visible. Kilkee is across 3 miles of water and 5 more of flat Clare countryside.

I'd say that Dooneen means "little fort" and there is indeed the ruin of a "promontory fort" marked as being there. From that specific point, Kilrush wouldn't be visible (Beal Point, two miles north east would block the view). However, if the songwriter (who was he, or she?) walked about a quarter of a mile north east, Kilrush would probably begin to come into view. I hope that's clear!

If there are any cliffs there, they must be modest ones, as they are not marked on the OS map. There are no roads leading to Dooneen, so if the writer did indeed stand there, he, or she, must have walked across about half a mile of open countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Been googling this a bit during lunchtime. Here's another post from a discussion about the song:

The Cliffs of Donneen are in North Kerry on the Banks of the Shannon Estuary This is an explanation about the arguments on the song and location. I wrote this on another site
    Well the words of the song were composed here on the Loop Head Peninsula. It was about the Cliffs of Moveen a local scenic spot just south west of Kilkee. There were many verses to song some now lost, maybe composed in late 1800's or early 1900's and good trad singers from the area were able to give the full version. Huge emigration from West Clare to England in the '40's '50's and 60's they brought the words with them. It was sung around London in those decades and cute Kerry h...r switched the word Moveen to Dooneen. Christy Moore must have come across the plagiarized version and had it on one of his early albums with Plaxnty in the '70s. As they say the rest is history. Cliffs of Dooneen are across in Kerry from Carrigaholt approx at the Mouth of the Shannon. The topography is right if The Cliffs of Moveen version is sung. You can see the Towns of Kilrush and Kilkee from Moveen not from Dooneen. You can't see Kilkee from Dooneen. One thing both places have in common is they rest on shale sandstone rock which is unique to the area, in that there are only two other places in the world where that particular rock is exposed above sea level. Geologists come from all over the world to study the rock in this area because of its accessibility especially those involved in the oil industry.
    But if people want to believe that Cliffs of Dooneen are in Clare why not! There is enough of counties around us trying to claim bits of Co Clare. Up The Banner
    Michael O'Connell a native of Corca Baiscinn.

Borrowed from: http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=77631

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Not exactly Clare Songs but Clare Tunes :D:D

From the Blonde's in Miltown Willie Week 2009
    Featuring Tony O'Loughlin on Accordian, Pat Curtin on Flute, Jesse Mc Namara on Banjo, Orla Coughlan on Fiddle and loads more that I don't know :rolleyes:

I can't seem to embed it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Thanks Clareman!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Co. Kerry, near Ballybunnion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Beidh Aonach amárach (i gCo an Chlair)
    There's a song about McHughes in Liscannor too, but can't find it.

"The Road to Doolin" is another Clare song, it used to be sung by the Fureys but I can't locate a clip of it anywhere.

been racking my brain. here's one; not overly a fan of this version though.

More modern: Dido supposedly used to go on holidays to clare as a child.: ennis is referenced around the 59 second mark

then there is the song about john philip holland.

Kollegeknight - You're 100% correct, Dido used to holiday in Clare and Limerick, she is also related to the former PD leader, Dessie O'Malley (niece - I think). Dido's family are originally from Limerick.

• Advertisement

Spancil Hill - reggae version by D'unbelievables & Co.

Spancil Hill - Christy Moore & Shane McGowan

Advertisement