Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord na mona 2012 apprenticeship!!

Options
  • 15-08-2011 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I see bord na mona are takeing on 1 apprentice electrician :rolleyes: just wondering what work is it they do in their workshops??would it be a gud apprenticeship?i heard its wireing locos? what else?is their much to wireing a loco?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

RJ59 wrote: »
    I see bord na mona are takeing on 1 apprentice electrician :rolleyes: just wondering what work is it they do in their workshops??would it be a gud apprenticeship?i heard its wireing locos? what else?is their much to wireing a loco?:D

they do very little rj59. The real work is done out the bog not n the workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I applied for the fitter apprenticeship lets hope I'll see ya there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Buckshee

RJ59 wrote: »

I'm currently a fitter with BNM having served my apprenticeship with them aswell, I'm based in the fuels division in one of the briquette factories. I have found where I am to be a brilliant place for apprentices to learn , learning domestic and industrial wiring in the electrical side , overhauling large 3 phase motors and in our case working on steam turbines which is not a common thing for any apprentice or qualified electrician to see , also PLC programming and designing programmes for new plant, this is on top of the run of the mill electrical work.
    Now don't be daunted by that list of work as the majority of BNM crafts people are great instructors and every step is well explained. , apprentices that have come through us since I've started get a very hands on training under a watchful eye and theirs not too many boring days.
    A few posters here have gave accounts of what they thought the BNM apprenticeship is but I can tell u for a fact :
    Any hour you do over the 39 hrs , you get overtime.
    You get a very hands on apprenticeship, not walking around all
    day with hands in pockets
    The days of having a relation in BNM to get in is dead and gone
    thank god, the selection process is very thorough.

Now i hope that helps and dispels a few non- truths.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 newgirlintown

I applied for all 3 apprenticeships - would absolutely love any of them. Have degree in maintenance engineering but want practical experience and expertise. Is this the right way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Got the rejection email for the Electrician one :( but nothing about the fitter one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

did they give you a reason for not getting it?

Thank you for sending us your application for the position of Electrician x 1.

Unfortunately on this occasion you have been unsuccessful.

As you can understand we have received a large number of applications for this vacancy and therefore we are unable to provide individual feedback at this time.

Thank you once again for your interest in Bord na Mona. We wish you every success in your future career.

Kind regards,

The Bord na Mona Recruitment Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

sounds like it was a lottery to me

I only applied for the fitter apprenticeship no word yet, I hope I have a good chance for it because I worked for a company that do a lot of steel work for them and the managing director is down as my referee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

evosteo wrote: »
    sounds like it was a lottery to me

Thats exactly what i was about to reply to your last post. Its a lottery but where the company can pick the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 moseus

anybody hear anything about the fitter apprentiships yet??

Didn't hear a thing yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 perseus123

Got the rejection email also. Pretty sure these apprenticeships were sorted ever before they were advertised. Ah well... :(

I just got asked to do a test for the fitter :D anyone else?

I got a rejection email for the Electrician one but haven't heard anything about the Fitter one.

Have an interview the 14th of this month nervous already haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maccs

Got an interview for 14th November.
    Feeling very nervous as I'd do anything to get in.
    Anyone know what to expect in interview and what they're looking for?
    Any advice would be appreciated

I'm on the same date maccs I don't have a clue what to expect at all,the nerves are kicking in alright, did you go for the fitter apprenticeship? I would to know how many are in for the interview

I got in with them :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kearney13 wrote: »

How you find it? What sort of work do you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Curley71

kearney13 wrote: »

Best of luck with the new apprenticeship kearney13! The long wait was worth it in the end ;)

I worked as a labourer for an engineering company that did a lot of work for bord na mona and I think it's that that got me in. Interviews were grand they got straight to the point ti see what I know about them and skills I have in engineering. The wait from them was the worst I was almost stalking the postman to bring me the news. I'm very happy and hope to stay with them for a long while.

Best part about this is I did know anyone in bord na mona and got in on my own merits :D well I've a medical to do yet but I shouldn't have any problems there

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Advertisement