Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to change large sums of currency?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey.

I am moving to Sweden to do a Masters next week and am having a right headache over the currency exchange situation. Never mind the fact the Euro could collapse at any moment, how can I best exchange around 10000 euro into Swedish Krones?

I am with Ulster Bank and have their Visa Debit Cards. I checked out their fees for non-Eurozone withdrawals and they are:

2% of transaction amount. (min €3, max €12) (Charge)
    and
    1.5% of transaction amount (Exchange Rate Transaction Fee)

I have been told the best way for me to exchange that sum would be in cash in a bank over there, but carrying that much cash makes me squemish.

Any advice?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Open an account over there and transfer the funds over.

Talk to someone in your branch to get all the relevant forms.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

+1 to what Unclebill98 said. If you arrive over there in a bank with €10k in cash and aren't an account holder, they probably won't change it for you.

Advertisement