Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom early cease charge

Options
  • 15-08-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I recently moved from Eircom to Vodafone because my phone and broadband bills were just so expensive. My last phone bill was 170 euro!crazy!Just today i got a bill from Eircom saying i owe them another 185 euro,they called this a "Broadband early release charge"??!! What is this??I haven't rang them about this yet. I hate ringing them because i find their customer service is so bad and the reps can be so rude :mad: I never signed a contract with them so what is this all about. Theres no way i can afford to pay this bill!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

sparky32 wrote: »
    I recently moved from Eircom to Vodafone because my phone and broadband bills were just so expensive. My last phone bill was 170 euro!crazy!Just today i got a bill from Eircom saying i owe them another 185 euro,they called this a "Broadband early release charge"??!! What is this??I haven't rang them about this yet. I hate ringing them because i find their customer service is so bad and the reps can be so rude :mad: I never signed a contract with them so what is this all about. Theres no way i can afford to pay this bill!

Hi sparky32,

Can You private message me with your eircom account and I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bird2012

My parents recently switched from Eircom to UTV Internet & Phone because they could not afford the bill from eircom. just the other day they received a final bill from Eircom for Broadband early cease charge & Line rental early cease charge totalling €323.63 (excluding VAT & call charges. Obviously very shocked, my mother contacted eircom questioning this bill to be told that a recent "FREE UPGRADE" to 8MB NGB 8 months ago constitutes an extension of a contract. Surely an upgrade of this kind (welcomed as it was I'm sure) should not change the current connection agreement? Do companies not contact customers who have initiated a "switch" in the hope of retaining their business by working together to maybe change the package so something that they would be able to afford?? Or at least to advise people who have been customers for 30 years of what the consequences & penalties of switching out would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Bird2012 wrote: »
    My parents recently switched from Eircom to UTV Internet & Phone because they could not afford the bill from eircom. just the other day they received a final bill from Eircom for Broadband early cease charge & Line rental early cease charge totalling €323.63 (excluding VAT & call charges. Obviously very shocked, my mother contacted eircom questioning this bill to be told that a recent "FREE UPGRADE" to 8MB NGB 8 months ago constitutes an extension of a contract. Surely an upgrade of this kind (welcomed as it was I'm sure) should not change the current connection agreement? Do companies not contact customers who have initiated a "switch" in the hope of retaining their business by working together to maybe change the package so something that they would be able to afford?? Or at least to advise people who have been customers for 30 years of what the consequences & penalties of switching out would be?

Hi Bird2012,

Can you please private message your eircom Account number, so I can investigate what you have stated in your query, above.

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

Hi All

I moved to Vodafone one month ago, phone and BB why? Eircom is price mad! And impossible to contact them and when you do a "supervisor" will call back ............... yea in a month!

Anyway got my final bill today a nice 335.089 ! Because of early cease charges on phone line and BB and I like to know where in writing is my so-called contract ? Because I do believe a contract should be in writing, if not im going to fight this. I have been with them for years, and was always in CR with them, and this is the way they treat customers? i do think Joe Duffy is worth a call on Monday ! Any of you come across this before?

THIS IS A JOKE. AND A RIP OFF IT NEEDS TO BE LOOKED INTO BY COMREG .... NOW WITH THE CUSTOMER IN MIND FOR A CHANGE !

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

webmanie wrote: »
    Hi All

I moved to Vodafone one month ago, phone and BB why? Eircom is price mad! And impossible to contact them and when you do a "supervisor" will call back ............... yea in a month!

Anyway got my final bill today a nice 335.089 ! Because of early cease charges on phone line and BB and I like to know where in writing is my so-called contract ? [HTML]Because I do believe a contract should be in writing[/HTML], if not im going to fight this. I have been with them for years, and was always in CR with them, and this is the way they treat customers? i do think Joe Duffy is worth a call on Monday ! Any of you come across this before?

THIS IS A JOKE. AND A RIP OFF IT NEEDS TO BE LOOKED INTO BY COMREG .... NOW WITH THE CUSTOMER IN MIND FOR A CHANGE !

A contract can be in writting OR oral!! and personally I think Joe Duffy has more interesting things to talk about on his show than your Eircom Bill. If you've a problem, get on to comreg

• Advertisement

webmanie wrote: »
    Hi All

Anyway got my final bill today a nice 335.089 ! Because of early cease charges on phone line and BB and I like to know where in writing is my so-called contract ? Because I do believe a contract should be in writing, if not im going to fight this. I have been with them for years, and was always in CR with them, and this is the way they treat customers? i do think Joe Duffy is worth a call on Monday ! Any of you come across this before?

Hi webmanie,

Can you PM me with your name & eircom account number and I will look into the final bill you received.

Did you call eircom at any stage to advise you were moving providers?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stevieharte21

Hi,
    I've got eircom phone and broadband at my home. I am getting less than .75 mb/s at the best of times and I am just wondering is there a minimum speed to allow me to cancel my contract? The best speed I have ever recorded was 1.21 mb/s.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Hi,
    I've got eircom phone and broadband at my home. I am getting less than .75 mb/s at the best of times and I am just wondering is there a minimum speed to allow me to cancel my contract? The best speed I have ever recorded was 1.21 mb/s.
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Stephen

Hi Stevieharte21

If you could PM me your account/telephone number I will run some tests and check this out for you?

Regards
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chrisreade

I recently moved from eircom to UPC as their package was much cheaper and you get The TV as well. I received my final bill and to my disgust there was a charge of €201.74 for phone and broadband early release. I have been with eircom since I moved to this apartment in 2006. I rang Eircom for an explanation and was told that I had changed plans last September and as such had started a new contract. Now for a start it was Eircom that rang me last September and as I come to think about it they seem to ring about once a year and tweak your phone plan ever so slightly. They never said to me to my knowledge that if I changed provider that I would be liable for this charge, in fact I' never heard of it. I seems to be a way of keeping people under false pretences so please be warned if Eircom ring seemingly bearing gifts there is in fact a more sinister reason for the call. I can't afford this charge, the reason I moved provider was due to cost, I intend to contact the regulator and would welcome feedback from anyone else who has been hit with this totally unfair charge

chrisreade wrote: »
    I recently moved from eircom to UPC as their package was much cheaper and you get The TV as well. I received my final bill and to my disgust there was a charge of €201.74 for phone and broadband early release. I have been with eircom since I moved to this apartment in 2006. I rang Eircom for an explanation and was told that I had changed plans last September and as such had started a new contract. Now for a start it was Eircom that rang me last September and as I come to think about it they seem to ring about once a year and tweak your phone plan ever so slightly. They never said to me to my knowledge that if I changed provider that I would be liable for this charge, in fact I' never heard of it. I seems to be a way of keeping people under false pretences so please be warned if Eircom ring seemingly bearing gifts there is in fact a more sinister reason for the call. I can't afford this charge, the reason I moved provider was due to cost, I intend to contact the regulator and would welcome feedback from anyone else who has been hit with this totally unfair charge

Hi chrisreade

Can you PM me with the account number and name on the account and I will check that for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi chrisreade

I have been looking through the account history and back in July 2012. Our sales team called advising of a UK call add on and bundle promotion that would be a saving of roughly €10 each month with better call benefits as well.

In return existing customers enter into a new 12 month contract (which the remarks outline advised on call)

I checked with the cancellations team and they advised they did not get a call regarding moving providers until the transfer took place.

I appreciate the cancellation charges came as a shock, however that is why we have free phone number and online channels to check with us if a customer is looking to move. Did you try to check the situation with eircom before putting an order to move providers?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your prompt reply. You say that back in July that I was entering a new contract and " the remarks outline advised on call" was at any time in the conversation it stated that there would be an early cease charge which would be payable if I changed providers. I would be extremely stupid to change providers with only two months left on the contract.

I wasn't aware that I needed to advise Eircom if I wanted to change providers, in any case I have been getting calls from Eircom asking for an explanation.

Can you please explain how the figure €201.74 was arrived at. Other posters seem to have all different figures. I think I need to look at my business contract with Eircom, see when the contract is up and look at my options.

Hi chrisreade

I have been looking through the account history and back in July 2012. Our sales team called advising of a UK call add on and bundle promotion that would be a saving of roughly €10 each month with better call benefits as well.

In return existing customers enter into a new 12 month contract (which the remarks outline advised on call)

I checked with the cancellations team and they advised they did not get a call regarding moving providers until the transfer took place.

I appreciate the cancellation charges came as a shock, however that is why we have free phone number and online channels to check with us if a customer is looking to move. Did you try to check the situation with eircom before putting an order to move providers?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm still awaiting a reply to my prvious post, could you please get back to me.

Hi Mark,

I'm still awaiting a reply to my prvious post, could you please get back to me.

Hi chrisreade

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

When a new bundle / promotion is applied. There is a 12 month contract for both telephone line and broadband services.

Depending on when the service is cancelled within the 12 months the contract would be the remaining time left of the 12 months.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cloverfield

Hi,

I have a query about early cease charges from Eircom which I think are completely wrong. I've tried PM'ing 3 Eircom reps with no reply yet. Can someone help please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

I have a query about early cease charges from Eircom which I think are completely wrong. I've tried PM'ing 3 Eircom reps with no reply yet. Can someone help please ?
    Sorry to the delays cloverfield

I see you had PM'd me asking if you could ask a question - please feel free to PM me your query and I'll get back to you

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement