Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Math Points 2011/2012

• 15-08-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,
    I did HL Maths this year in the old course. Say I get 90 points this year. If I had to repeat next year, would I be able to use those points again considering that I wouldn't be able to do the new course? For example, if I get 90 points, would I automatically have 115 points next year without having to do the exam, or whatever?
    Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GAAngster

Just to add, my career guidance teacher said you can as she contacted the CAO but I'm trying to sort out an argument here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm almost certain that you cannot carry points over. It will count as a minimum requirement so you wouldn't have to sit the exam again if you didn't want to, but you couldn't use the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

No. Can't take points this year and next year and combine them. You can use it as an entry requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GAAngster

That's strange though because my career guidance teacher got an e-mail from them saying that it was allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

I'm 99percent certain. You want to combine results from two years which is not allowed. I hope some else confirms this, I could be wrong:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You can only calculate your points from a single sitting of the LC. What you're describing involves two sittings, so no, you can't use it for points next year.

As has been said, you can use it as a minimum requirement (save if you're doing Medicine AFAIK).

EDIT: Just thought of another scenario..

If you don't repeat the leaving and want to use this year's sitting of the LC (and this year's points) to apply for a course, you would get the bonus points added on then. E.g. if you got 450 this year with HL Maths, and use this sitting to apply for another course next year, you should have 475 points. Does that make sense? o_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

dambarude wrote: »

If you don't repeat the leaving and want to use this year's sitting of the LC (and this year's points) to apply for a course, you would get the bonus points added on then. E.g. if you got 450 this year with HL Maths, and use this sitting to apply for another course next year, you should have 475 points. Does that make sense? o_O
    Yes.

Jumpguy emailed the CAO about this a couple of weeks back, and was told that those who did HL maths this year (or previous years) would get the bonus points next year if they were re-applying through the CAO for some reason.

They would have to, really, to keep things fair.

Ofc, there is also the likelihood that the points for some courses (and esp. the high points ones) will go up next year because of the bonus points.

However, going back to the original question, you can't combine results from two sittings of the LC to for points. You *can* use results from, say, this year to satisfy minimum requirements for a course if using next year's points, though (except for medicine).

I suspect there was some confusion in that email / the response / your understanding of it, and the response had more to do with the point raised by Damba than the question you have asked in this thread.

Advertisement