Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can you buy a grid tie inverter?

• 15-08-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That can be used safely and legally in Ireland? And how much are they? Any online sites where you can buy one?

I'm not talking a big system here, max a few hundred watts. I'll buy and install one or a few PV panels myself

Not out to save money here, more for educational purposes to show the kids :)

Do you need to register with the ESB to qualify for the feed in payments? If so, how to go about that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Unfortunately, in Ireland the ESB has a unique standard to which inverters must conform. The UK uses G83, and a new standard in Europe is EN50438. But Ireland has unique variances to EN50438 which are tighter in relation to permitted voltages and frequencies.

That means expensive testing for anyone wanting to sell inverters in Ireland. So far, only three companies I know of have done this, so that reduces the field a bit.

If you have a conforming inverter, then details of how to get paid for your exports are here.

I don't know the position in relation to using other non-conforming inverters if you should decide that this is just for fun and you don't want to be paid for your exports.

Here is the rub though... while ESB makes microgenerators conform to unique standards and certify their inverters, in practice, the grid works to a different, much lower standard. This often means that our inverters shut down because the grid itself is working outside a range in which our inverters are permitted to work:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That means expensive testing for anyone wanting to sell inverters in Ireland. So far, only three companies I know of have done this, so that reduces the field a bit.

Rough idea of the price of one? Say for 300W? Please PM me if you feel you can't post here.
    If you have a conforming inverter, then details of how to get paid for your exports are here.

Oh I don't like this bit:
    ESB wrote:
    When the micro-generator has been installed and we have received the necessary ETCI electrical certification we will install import/export metering.

So that means that I have to use pay an approved sparky to fill in an official form and then the ESB have to physically install some equipment at my home? At a cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

The smallest one I know of that has been brought through certification is 1.2kw. There aren't any smaller ones that I know of meeting the Irish standard. Ballpark price for that is about €1K including VAT.

And yes, you will need a registered sparky to fill in the form.

ESB will install the buy&sell meter for free, but that arrangement is only confirmed to December this year. They may or may not renew it after that I suppose...

Its an expensive game to demonstrate the system. If you decided to use up the inverters capacity, you would be installing about 1.3 to 1.4kw of panels, costing you some €2,750 to €3K. So a €4K investment might give you about €200 to €220 income.

The alternative Heath-Robinson option for a few panels might be batteries powering a few lighting circuits in the house with a modified sine wave inverter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks quentin. I think I'll pass for now. I'll check again in about a years time what the story is :)

In the mean time, I have a 5W PV panel on my shed, an old car battery and a cheap inverter. They work. They'll have to do for now for educational purposes :D

Advertisement