Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angus Cows

• 15-08-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

I have a limousin bull and I calf the cows in the Spring and sell weanlings in the autumn. I currently have a lot of hereford cows bred from a freisian cow and I feel the calves are only average. I am wondering what could I expect from an angus cow, is a limousin crossed with an angus a good cross.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Put a BB on your HEX cows. Keep the heifers and bull them to a Lim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Well Tom,

Out of curiosity what weights are your weanlings averaging at Sale.?

Suppose you could try easy calving BB on 1 or 2 and see how you go.
    Do you use Ai at all or is it all Lim stock bull.?

Have no experience with angus Limousin cross so I'm no help to you

Tomjim wrote: »
    I am wondering what could I expect from an angus cow, is a limousin crossed with an angus a good cross.

We have a couple of real smashing black Lim heifers at home off AAx cows, indeed one of them is by highlander and is a second calver now, she has bred two lovely Lim calves to Jaguar and Soucci.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I have a limousin bull and he is staying no question about that.

While I currently only feed about 75 kgs meal per calf Hfr calves weigh around 300 to 320 kgs while bulls will weigh 300 to 360 kgs. Cows all have loads of milk

I also work fulltime so need an easy calver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tomjim wrote: »
    . I am wondering what could I expect from an angus cow, .

A lovely quiet breed well suited to the damp climate and heavy land you get in many places.

• Advertisement

The heifers you're currently producing, 50% Lim/25%Her/25%Fr, would be lovely heifers to breed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I haven't really got an answer to my question below

I am wondering what could I expect from an angus cow, is a limousin crossed with an angus a good cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

wit Angus u can expect ease of calfing. and crossed wit a lim Bull u would have lovely replacements. i have all angus and the cows are 1 Quite 2 Hardy 3 Easy feed 4 And never have trouble calfing. and wit the quality assured u can get the best prices in the factory.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Angus4life wrote: »
    wit Angus u can expect ease of calfing. and crossed wit a lim Bull u would have lovely replacements. i have all angus and the cows are 1 Quite 2 Hardy 3 Easy feed 4 And never have trouble calfing. and wit the quality assured u can get the best prices in the factory.!

Hi Agus4life

Do you have to have a set number of cattle fit for the factory at any one time to guarantee the premium? I know you have to be a joined up member and that there are certain criteria to be met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi Agus4life

Do you have to have a set number of cattle fit for the factory at any one time to guarantee the premium? I know you have to be a joined up member and that there are certain criteria to be met
    we have often gone with 1 beast for the angus scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

We have 4 or 5 AAxFR cows at the moment, I've had them calve to both the LM and the CH, both have the same problem in that the colour of the weanling is black if its a LM or a mousy white if its a CH.

Its not an issue probably this year with the price of cattle but most lads here will tell you over the last few years the exporters or buyers will pay more for a better colour calf (Red LM or white CH).

Still if AI isn't an option so you could use BB then you're as well off sticking with the LM on either the HE or AA.

Personally I don't think you'll get much of an improvement going from HEx to AA but others might disagree and I find the HE quieter to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi Agus4life

Hi Muckit
    wel on average i would be killing 2 heifers a week and 3 under 24 month old bulls.
    But aswel i sometimes only go wit one at a time.!

Advertisement