Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum due shortly

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Batteries & technology is improving. I am told 2 way devices with 5 years + life are on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

how long will these batteries last in a wireless G3 DT

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Around the same . Don't know untill we try them out I suppose. I'm simply repeating the claims. From my own experience I find battery life is always underated. I have lots of Visonic wireless going into their 4th year & no issues.

you're not comparing like with like here.
    G3 is a different beast altogether. Polling times are different, then there's the small issue of anti-masking and it's a DT

I know its not like with like. That's why I said lets wait and see. But from what I hear battery will be well improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I got a phone call from one of my suppliers today, they wanted to know how many Quantums I wanted to pre order for September as they told me there's going to be a big rush and they'll run out of stock within days of release. I told them I didn't want any. "What?" he said. "Sure everyone is ordering loads to stock up". I hung up, I didn't want to go there with that conversation.

Do some people think HKC have reinvented the wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

More like a sales pitch from your supplier :D
    The Quantum will be a good seller for HKC.

Yes, I agree Altor. I actually like HKC stuff and use a fair bit of it but the way some fellas are going on about the Quantum you'd swear it was the second coming of Christ. :)

The pricing I'm hearing still leaves very little between Quantum and the Securewave. I'm not really getting what the benefit is.

The pricing of the Quantum is cheaper in pack form than the Securewave. Both pack 1 and 2 are cheaper. With the Quantum you also get a built in DSL filter plus the voice and text card. For the Securewave you would need to buy these as extras which is another saving you make using the Quantum.

• Advertisement

But no SABB with the Quantum. I haven't got the figures and quantities to hand that we came up with but I think there was only about €30 between them like when adding up like with like.
    Ill look into it again during the week and post up something more precise.

I would say it more than that if you buy kit 2 which includes the external bell. There is also a battery included. In your calculations are you taking account of the built in dialer since your comparing it to the Securewave ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Jnealon wrote: »
    stormvogel wrote: »
    Bring it on phonewatch!
    Never going to happen.
    But the "new" Aritech panel will allow you to take over pw jobs and use existing sensors
    Are PW the only company to use the simon xt panels? which are new to the irish market but have been around for the past 4 years in the US. What is the new Aritech panel like? Did GE not take over Aritech???????

altor wrote: »
    An even easier option with P.W is just take over the system they have installed. I am not a fan of the XT though, seems very cheaply put together.
    The new Ge simon xt v2 is not used by PW (yet) but it is very nice looking. By far the best of the 3 yet
    simon 3, simon xt & simon xt v2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I got a phone call from one of my suppliers today, they wanted to know how many Quantums I wanted to pre order for September as they told me there's going to be a big rush and they'll run out of stock within days of release. I told them I didn't want any. "What?" he said. "Sure everyone is ordering loads to stock up". I hung up, I didn't want to go there with that conversation.

Do some people think HKC have reinvented the wheel?

My supplier is expecting their first load some time today/tomorrow, it seems that HKC have 400 for distribution right now.

Then they are expecting 1,500 mid to late September. In fairness they did not contact me, I rang them enquiring about that HKC Dummy with the flashing l.e.d.s, then I asked when were they due in? So i have told them to put a few aside for me.

I think this will change things in our business lads, the average time to fit a system will drop, will companies require as many engineers in the future?
    On top of that I wonder has the rat race began, I mean not so long ago we would all have been calculating how long it would take to wire and fit a job, now its just fit, I have a feeling prices are going to go down and that it will be dog eat dog.

I heard today its been put back a week.

kub wrote: »
    My supplier is expecting their first load some time today/tomorrow, it seems that HKC have 400 for distribution right now.

Then they are expecting 1,500 mid to late September. In fairness they did not contact me, I rang them enquiring about that HKC Dummy with the flashing l.e.d.s, then I asked when were they due in? So i have told them to put a few aside for me.

I think this will change things in our business lads, the average time to fit a system will drop, will companies require as many engineers in the future?
    On top of that I wonder has the rat race began, I mean not so long ago we would all have been calculating how long it would take to wire and fit a job, now its just fit, I have a feeling prices are going to go down and that it will be dog eat dog.

It's already dog eat dog and has been for a while. We're getting to the stage where the skill has been taken out it and more and more DIY'rs are going to try install their own system. That is not good for the industry.

There's a race to the bottom going on as I know for a fact of two companies that are installing for near cost, those companies will not last. Those customers who are getting cheap alarms might not get an answer to their calls in six months time if they have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Yes Fred I do agree with you, I think we are indeed in a situation where house systems will indeed become diy. Infairness the skills which we have all learnt over the years will now not be necessary any longer.

I recently rang HKC with a technical query, something none of us have to do too often because infairness their systems are fairly idiot proof. I had a little query about the Securewave, it proved to be one of those occasions when the phone was easier to reach than my brain.

So one of the guys there spoke to me like as if it was my first time fitting a system, this 20 years down the road. I hung up and wondered just how long will it be before we see the Quantium in electrical shops/ Woodies/ B&Q etc.

I think we will become like those painter and decorater guys, infairness an excellent trade. But the classic DIY one.

From HKC:

Please note that we have a new release date for Quantum which will be next week. As you know we were hoping to release this week but in order to meet demand and be fair to all distributors we have had to order additional stock. This is expected to be delivered to us early next week.

Regards

Nick

It's already dog eat dog and has been for a while. We're getting to the stage where the skill has been taken out it and more and more DIY'rs are going to try install their own system. That is not good for the industry.

There's a race to the bottom going on as I know for a fact of two companies that are installing for near cost, those companies will not last. Those customers who are getting cheap alarms might not get an answer to their calls in six months time if they have a problem.

I agree Fred, it is not good for the industry and cant be good for these company's.

• Advertisement

Am I missing something here.
    Wireless has been around for a long time and the days of spending 2.5 days doing a standard 3 bed semi are long gone.
    Whats going to change when this kit comes out, nothing

Jnealon wrote: »
    Am I missing something here.
    Wireless has been around for a long time and the days of spending 2.5 days doing a standard 3 bed semi are long gone.
    Whats going to change when this kit comes out, nothing

Up until recently there was stiil a bit of skill and know-how involved in installing wireless alarms but the kits that are being sold these days are practically 'plug & play'. They're getting easier and easier to install and programme. They're almost aimed at the DIY market and when the DIY'er wants to know how to install it they come in here and we (the installers) tell them how to do it. Are we putting ourselves out of business?

Are PW the only company to use the simon xt panels? which are new to the irish market but have been around for the past 4 years in the US. What is the new Aritech panel like? Did GE not take over Aritech???????

UTC it is now. Here is there new panel, NX-10-EUR. Not out yet.

The new Ge simon xt v2 is not used by PW (yet) but it is very nice looking. By far the best of the 3 yet
    simon 3, simon xt & simon xt v2

I agree, it does look a lot better out of the 3. Its the plastic used in the sensors I would be worried about. Can be very brittle around the tampers also.

i cant see the new quantum taking over. all new houses are usually pre wired. and a wired system is still cheaper then wirefree (installed) , parts for a wired system are cheaper aswell. most diy'ers cant figure out system faults and diy systems cant be monitored by stations......:pac: to be honest my own alarm is a self install but ive had some experience (work exp) plus practise:D

i cant see the new quantum taking over. all new houses are usually pre wired. and a wired system is still cheaper then wirefree (installed) , parts for a wired system are cheaper aswell. most diy'ers cant figure out system faults and diy systems cant be monitored by stations......:pac: to be honest my own alarm is a self install but ive had some experience (work exp) plus practise:D

That is because its not going to effect them. They use a totally different system.

And a bit of help off here :D

hmmm i do recall getting a bit of help....cough cough (alot of it) from a certain person on this site ;) but i would not like to see the quantum take over.
    i like the fact that traditional panels and keypads are seperate from each other... the dialler has a better chance of dialling out. would there be much of a difference install wise between the quantum and securewave??????

hmmm i do recall getting a bit of help....cough cough (alot of it) from a certain person on this site ;)

We wont mention any names so :p
    but i would not like to see the quantum take over.
    i like the fact that traditional panels and keypads are seperate from each other... the dialler has a better chance of dialling out. would there be much of a difference install wise between the quantum and securewave??????

There would as everything is built into the Quantum.

I do agree with you on a few aspects of the keypad being separate so when the wire free keypad comes out it will be as easy to use both systems.

ohh didnt know that a wire free keypad was being launched:cool: that changes everything! :D any idea what it will look like.. hkc dont have anything about the quantum 70 on their site yet....... yes yes no names!! ;)

• Advertisement

ohh didnt know that a wire free keypad was being launched:cool: that changes everything! :D any idea what it will look like.. hkc dont have anything about the quantum 70 on their site yet....... yes yes no names!! ;)

It is the same as all there keypads. Here you go ;)

Advertisement