Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Wireless Router is Ancient

Options
  • 16-08-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Folks, I have an old Netopia router that I got from Eircom when I signed up for BB in 2005. Surely it's time for an upgrade? How? Would it improve connectivity re: signal holding if I get a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

uvox wrote: »
    Folks, I have an old Netopia router that I got from Eircom when I signed up for BB in 2005. Surely it's time for an upgrade? How? Would it improve connectivity re: signal holding if I get a new one?

Hi uvox,

If you want to replace the modem with eircom you have a couple of options.

- You can get a replacement Zyxel modem free of charge with a 12 month warranty if you agree to a new 12 month contract on your eircom account.

- Or you can purchase a modem for €49.99 Inc Vat from eircom with a 12 month warranty if you don't want to avail of a new 12 month contract.

Or of course can buy your owen modem as well.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Hi Mark,
    I may need a new modem in the near future as well, do you have any of the Netopia ones left? I've heard bad thing about the Zykiel (sp)
    If I buy my own such as a Belkin router, will BB support help me with any setup queries I might have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

MajorMax wrote: »
    Hi Mark,
    I may need a new modem in the near future as well, do you have any of the Netopia ones left? I've heard bad thing about the Zykiel (sp)
    If I buy my own such as a Belkin router, will BB support help me with any setup queries I might have?

Hi MajorMax,

I am afraid that eircom no longer supply the Netopia router and the Xyzel is the ony replacement available through eircom.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The Zyxel is a terrible modem it has made some peoples connections worse i'm using a netopia from 2009 the silver ones and they are great its beyond me why eircom supply this zyxel piece of crap its so unreliable whereas the netopia's are very reliable routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks Mark, I guess I have to call eircom to replace. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

if its not giving you trouble, dont change it. as for the zyxel improving connectivity, id look at the other threads on that modem. id rather have a five year old netopia that works.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

MajorMax wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

hi majormax
    you can get 3rd party router settings on the eircom broadband support page under 3rd party modem settings. or follow this link. also might help to check on boards.ie for issues/problems configuring 3rd party modems.
    http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?Restart&Kb=BB&Company={1326AEE5-D1C7-47EA-B46D-F52C67C45DC5}&t=searchResults&query=belkin%20modem%20settings

hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Just to follow up - I stuck with the old router. The problem was closer to hand:

Why is Apple ignoring a WiFi issue that plagues thousands of MacBook Pro owners?

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/09/02/why-is-apple-ignoring-a-wifi-issue-that-plagues-thousands-of-macbook-pro-owners/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Do you REALLY want an answer ? :D:D:D

Jokes apart - when has Apple actually ever taken on board issues that customers raise? To give you an example - USB 2.0 connectivity (specifically for printing and scanning) has been broken in OSX since 10.3.5!!!! It has been raised countless times both in blogs as well as on official communications with customer support. It's still broken with OSX Lion (some 5-6yrs later).
    Recently Apple have been delivering patches that contain broken CUPS versions. Then they scramble to put out a patch for it....only to break it with the next release.:mad:
    Are you really surprised that Wifi is still broken? :rolleyes:
    Why is Apple ignoring a WiFi issue that plagues thousands of MacBook Pro owners?

Advertisement