Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Largest Cheetah Lived, and Killed, Among Ancient Humans

• 16-08-2011 1:47am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.livescience.com/15558-largest-cheetah-lived-killed-ancient-humans.html

largest-cheetah-illustration.jpg?1313415011
    The only remaining species of cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) represents the fastest creatures on land alive, long, sleek cats able to run up to 70 mph (113 kph). However, fossils suggest other species of cheetah, including burlier varieties, once stalked the planet..........

.........Based on its arm and paw bones, the stoutly built cheetah (Acinonyx pardinensis) weighed about 220 pounds (110 kilograms), or about double the weight of its modern cousin. (The oldest cheetah fossil known was a skull of Acinonyx kurteni found in China; the animal lived between 2.2 million and 2.5 million years ago.)............
    I always find articles/discoveries like this interesting, and I love the illustrations although they are often flawed. That the article stresses that they lived "among" ancient man is a bit unnecessary though, in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would have trouble imagining that running anywhere near as fast as the extant memebers of the cheetah family today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I posted about it in the paleontology forum.

It should be noted that its not a new species- just an old acquaintance found in a new place.

Advertisement