Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade of St. John's Square

• 16-08-2011 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Upgrade of St John's Square

KATHRYN HAYES

UPGRADE WORKS have been announced forLimerick’s historic St John’s Square.

They include granite paving, street lighting and traffic-calming measures.

Located in the centre of Limerick city, St John’s Square is at the centre of a group of historically significant buildings.

These include St John’s Cathedral, St John’s Hospital and the limestone town house buildings in the square accommodating many businesses.

The development was designed by Francis Bandana in 1751.

The upgrade contract approved by Limerick City Council is valued at just under €1 million.

The work will begin shortly and will take about five months.

Councillor Jim Long, mayor of Limerick, has welcomed the work.

“The works are necessary to protect the heritage of this historic square and to improve the streetscape for the many visitors to the square and the nearby St John’s Cathedral and St John’s Hospital,” he said.

The mayor has also welcomed the construction jobs that will be created and the opportunities for Limerick companies supplying materials.

“John’s Square is an important gateway to the centre of Limerick city and a public open space in front of the St John’s Cathedral providing important first impressions for both residents and visitors,” Mr Long said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Great to see another part of the city centre getting refurbished. Hope the plans can do it justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Any artist impressions of the proposed plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

This is good news, but I will wait to see plans before I get too excited. I hope it isn't in the generic style of the city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It is a nice part of the city. It's good that the wethouse was moved out of it recently enough so. No sense doing the place up for that lot to hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

• Advertisement

I think the plan is to move the statue that stands beside the Cathedral into the middle of the square. You can see in the plans that the is a "monument by others" included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I would rather see Patrick Sarsfield moved to pride of place on O'Connel Street when it is redone than into the square tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    I would rather see Patrick Sarsfield moved to pride of place on O'Connel Street when it is redone than into the square tbh.

Would be a much more fitting location for the statue.

And traffic will be changed to one way, from the caterdral place to gerald griffen street. My little rat run will be gone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Goofy wrote: »
    And traffic will be changed to one way, from the caterdral place to gerald griffen street. My little rat run will be gone :(

Where'd you hear that?

So going towards William Street will all be one way?

Balls, my GF lives around there. Presume you can still slip down the side of the offlicence there? Or no, that won't let you back out towards the hospital

• Advertisement

leakyboots wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that?

So going towards William Street will all be one way?

Balls, my GF lives around there. Presume you can still slip down the side of the offlicence there? Or no, that won't let you back out towards the hospital

Look at the link i posted. You can see the arrows in the tarmac sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

wouldn't have seen them only you pointed them out. How clever of them to hide the most important detail with a colour that's barely visible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

LB6 wrote: »
    wouldn't have seen them only you pointed them out. How clever of them to hide the most important detail with a colour that's barely visible!

I had to zoom to 70% to see that, sneaky Russians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

kilburn wrote: »

why not move it to Sarsield street???? we could just make it one lane of traffic coming over the bridge into town. in fact no lanes of traffic. it would be awesome

i like the plans but does anyone else think it will still be a carpark whenever there is a funeral. think ill invest in a clamp ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Icky Thump wrote: »
    why not move it to Sarsield street???? we could just make it one lane of traffic coming over the bridge into town. in fact no lanes of traffic. it would be awesome

i like the plans but does anyone else think it will still be a carpark whenever there is a funeral. think ill invest in a clamp ;)

The curb height will be around the same as the curbs on Thomas Street. Getting a car up there will be difficult enough.

source wrote: »
    The curb height will be around the same as the curbs on Thomas Street. Getting a car up there will be difficult enough.

And there are bollards along all along the roadside.

I think the plans look great. This square is one of the most beautiful pieces of architecture in the city but has been turned into a glorified carpark in recent times. Hopefully it will be pedestrian priority like outside Aubars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

That predestrian plan of Thomas is a complete waste of money,i have seen people walking along and then a car pops along,very dangerous with kids as the way the street is paved you would think its a car free zone
    Plus i often see cars using Little Catherine street and not just delivery cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Would be nice too if something like a boutique hotel opened in the Square or a couple of nice cafés.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If I remember correctly, when the Patrick Sarsfield monument was commissioned, it was planned to place it in the centre of St. John's Square. But there was a unionist majority in the corporation at the time, so it didn't go ahead. Then the folks in St. John's Catherdral offered to give it a space on their grounds. That's why it's so out of the way. Would be great to see it given more prominence. :)

• Advertisement

Icky Thump wrote: »

The blue car is driving against the one way system, must be a local. :p

Kess73 wrote: »

being pedantic that is the first thing I noticed. Not that people don't drive down the wrong way down towards Donkey Fords anyway. :rolleyes:

Beer Baron wrote: »
    being pedantic that is the first thing I noticed. Not that people don't drive down the wrong way down towards Donkey Fords anyway. :rolleyes:

Sorry lads but ye are both wrong. That stretch of road is two way at the moment and will be changed to one way in the direction the blue car is going when the development is complete.

Google street view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's two way ! It only becomes one way at IFAC House! So if you want you can go down that lane way and come out by Watergate!

yea as the lads have said it is 2 way. i do see the one way being changed when its finished anyway. i see it being one way in the direction the blue car is going. its the only thing that makes sense according to the road layout in the square

I didn't say it was one way. I said it was one way down towards Donkey Fords.

Goofy wrote: »
    Sorry lads but ye are both wrong. That stretch of road is two way at the moment and will be changed to one way in the direction the blue car is going when the development is complete.

Google street view

The arrows on the road are pointing the wrong way then. :D:p

In the plans with the car, not as it is in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I didn't say it was one way. I said it was one way down towards Donkey Fords.

Did you not kind of agree with Kess about it being oneway ;)
    The arrows on the road are pointing the wrong way then. :D:p

In the plans with the car, not as it is in real life.

Maybe they're not arrows, I think they are for the ramps.

Edit to add, if they are directional arrows then there's now way out of the square as they all lead inwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

phog wrote: »

Maybe they're not arrows, I think they are for the ramps.

Edit to add, if they are directional arrows then there's now way out of the square as they all lead inwards.

So basically if you ignore that blue car and follow those arrows under it then all traffic would lead into the square and up gerald griffin street no?

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »

I agreed that in the picture the car was moving the wrong way because on the Architects drawing the arrows suggest the flow of traffic on that lane would lead into the square. :p

Advertisement