Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade of St. John's Square

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

The architects plan drawing shows an arrow pointing away from the square on this lane. There are no arrows on the 3D render, there are triangles that indicate the slope of speed bumps. The tip of the triangle is at the top of the slope and the base of the triangle is at the bottom of the slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jofspring wrote: »
    So basically if you ignore that blue car and follow those arrows under it then all traffic would lead into the square and up gerald griffin street no?

Only if you ignore the fact that they are there to highlight a ramp rather than being directional arrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phog wrote: »
    Only if you ignore the fact that they are there to highlight a ramp rather than being directional arrows.

I was making a joke about it going the wrong way. Did not think people would take it as being such a serious matter when a fictional car is the butt of a joke.

The bit the blue car is on will be a one way street and the made up car is going the right direction, but I just made the crack as the directional arrows were pointing the wrong way. The are directional arrows imho because on the other proposed one way stretch they match the direction of the traffic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

They are triangles. Just like the ones here Triangles point one way, arrow the other way.

Could you stand on that X in front of my desk please? :D

2366413609_0d4bc698d2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I heard that the fountain section is now completed.

Anybody got photos of it?

6153891800_41bd46290f_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I like the look of that. Supposed to be a few bike-stands going in on the bottom left and up on the top right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

How much parking is there? I've been unfortunate enough to have to drive though that area a few times in the last few weeks and the number of double and triple parked cars, is shocking, I think most of them are going to the chemist, but isn't there a doctor, I'm not sure what else is in the square, where are these people going to park. I can see lots and lots of traffic jams.

It does look pretty though, on paper.

why do we need a giant chess board there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Only a guess but I'd wager the parking spaces above will be reserved for residents/employees of the businesses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

How much parking is there? I've been unfortunate enough to have to drive though that area a few times in the last few weeks and the number of double and triple parked cars, is shocking, I think most of them are going to the chemist, but isn't there a doctor, I'm not sure what else is in the square, where are these people going to park. I can see lots and lots of traffic jams.

yea my Dad uses the Doctor there, no choice but double parking :eek: when he goes in to collect his perception. Looks like 12 parking spaces on the left with the right side of the square block from cars, cant see the business in the area been happy about that!

• Advertisement

I use the doctor and the chemist there, for the doctor I park in Summer St carpark, for the chemist I usually leave someone in the car on one of streets and run in to collect my prescription.

TBH, I'm delighted with the development even with the reduction of the car park spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

there are business's on oconnel street

where do you park if there are no parking spaces there?????

as someone from the neighbourhood i can tell you that residents dont like the fact that the place is often cluttered with people illegally parking. its not a fu##ing carpark.

i for one am delighted that they are improving the look of the area. if you wanna park do what the rest of us do and park in one of the hundred car parks in the city. there is no shortage of car spaces in this town even if you believe what people say. there are no less than 7 car parks i can think of off hand that are no less than a 10 minute walk from the square.

its not new york we are living in. learn to walk a couple blocks.

for people that are disabled im sure car spaces will be made available as per usual

they where never car park spaces btw. people parked illegally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Summer St. car park is just a stones throw from the square, and from the city center. I think a lot of people forget/don't realise it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

So much negativity!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Summer St. car park is just a stones throw from the square, and from the city center. I think a lot of people forget/don't realise it's there.

i dont think thats it. people just like to park for free in the square
    TONY DAY wrote: »
    So much negativity!!

no matter what is done to make our city look nicer and more exciting we always seem to get people on here whinging about something. cant believe the amount that our city has changed in a vibrant positive way and the amount its being critisised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Icky Thump wrote: »

no matter what is done to make our city look nicer and more exciting we always seem to get people on here whinging about something. cant believe the amount that our city has changed in a vibrant positive way and the amount its being critisised

Meh, some people will always be critical, the thing is to be able to sift the valid critics from the cranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

I suppose this granite paving the OP referred to is more of the same stuff that's like a bloody ice rink when it rains, and even worse when there's frost. My first experience of this was on O'Callaghan Strand, and now it's all over the city, AND it's imported from Italy. Could we not make SOME effort to learn from previous mistakes and also buy Irish?

Man, I'd love to meet the city engineer one day...

>sigh<

g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

godfrey wrote: »
    I suppose this granite paving the OP referred to is more of the same stuff that's like a bloody ice rink when it rains, and even worse when there's frost. My first experience of this was on O'Callaghan Strand, and now it's all over the city, AND it's imported from Italy. Could we not make SOME effort to learn from previous mistakes and also buy Irish?

Man, I'd love to meet the city engineer one day...

>sigh<

g

No it looks to be the same stuff as used on William Street, not the ridiculous stuff from Thomas St.

Limerick’s historic John’s Square reopens after €1m redevelopment (Limerick Leader)

Just looking at the photo of the finished square on the Limerick Leader and it seems that they have made a nice job of it?

Limerick’s historic John’s Square reopens after €1m redevelopment (Limerick Leader)

Just looking at the photo of the finished square on the Limerick Leader and it seems that they have made a nice job of it?

Read that it reopened on Friday, but have not been near that side of town since. Might take a wander down later to have a look at the finished square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

how long before some tool in a delivery truck backs up on the path and crushes the kerbs or paving or knocks down a pole.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Looks pretty good. Not sure where the €1 million went though ...

I walked and drove through it recently and thought it looked great. Id' have a few small issues with it but overall, it's a welcome development, especially the the footpath along by Cross's funeral home.

The parking bays (back to St. John's hospital) seem to slope backwards, unless there are proper drains then I'd hate to be trying to get access to the back doors of the car on a wet day.

When exiting from the parking bays near the Mr Binman onto the roadway, it's easy enough to stick your nose out without realising that you have gone too far, no road markings, though the stone is coloured differently, hard to see on a wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Saw it a few weeks ago and the paving looked well. The butchers at the corner could do with a bit of a facelift and then the entire square would be pretty impressive.

pigtown wrote: »
    Saw it a few weeks ago and the paving looked well. The butchers at the corner could do with a bit of a facelift and then the entire square would be pretty impressive.

With the business he lost during the "closure" of the square the least the corpo could do for him is give his place a lick of paint.

The renovated square looks really well at night and it is especially more appealing to the eye when it is empty of parked cars.

But what’s the story with the 5 temporary traffic signs (red/white concrete bases) as the square is now some months finished?

Image Liv Kenley

8132072251_60bf0de69d_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

The black bollards need a yellow stripe, they aren't very visible at night or in fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

The city council have bought and refurbished 6 apartments in the square. They will house artists, musicians, etc. in order to create a cultural quarter of the city. I seem to remember talk of Limerick Printmakers moving to the square as-well. Hopefully the apartments will move the process on a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

pigtown wrote: »
    The city council have bought and refurbished 6 apartments in the square. They will house artists, musicians, etc. in order to create a cultural quarter of the city. I seem to remember talk of Limerick Printmakers moving to the square as-well. Hopefully the apartments will move the process on a bit.

Well they'll need to get rid of the blatant group of alcho's who drink on the bench across from the butchers each day then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Well they'll need to get rid of the blatant group of alcho's who drink on the bench across from the butchers each day then.

I thought they were the "artists, musicians, etc."?

Advertisement