Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation

Options
  • 16-08-2011 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've put down a booking deposit on an apartment in in Barrow mills. It's a 3 bedroom apartment, with one single bedroom left.
    Really nice apartment, this will be my 4th year in Carlow, and this is by far the nicest/cheapest place I've found yet.

It'll be €530 between all 3 of us, not including ESB/internet. That'll be less than €55 a week each, all inclusive.
    power shower, electric heating, we'll be geting internet (12-25mb), washing machine and dryer.

Here's some rough phone pictures:
    http://oi54.tinypic.com/2zyvkfo.jpg
    http://oi52.tinypic.com/14j5d7c.jpg

I'm a 3rd year bioscience student, and the other housemate is a 2nd year games development student.
    Anybody interested send me a pm, or comment below. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stward23

Hello,

I would be interested. I am a 26 year old mature student (non-smoker), starting 1st year in Law at Carlow IT. Is the apartment far from the college?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

€55 each a WEEK for ESB etc?

So around €660 a month between 3 people? You planning on running a cinema 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

Room may be gone, I'll close this thread once i get confirmation.
    @mak
    I have no idea what you're talking about, re-read before posting silly replies. The rent is less than 55e each a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NotAzrael

@Mak, clearly he means that everything, including rent and internet it'll be less than 55 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Miss.Marple

In reply to your question i know these apts. they are lovely..3mins walk if that to the college!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stward23

Thanks,

if you know anyone who has a room to rent can you pm me?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Miss.Marple

Im afraid i dont..be worth looking up the local papers The Nationalist & Carlow People though..they come out on a Tuesday..Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

If anyone is looking for accommodation info this is from the IT's website:

www.myhome.ie/lettings/search/colleges
    www.let.ie
    www.daft.ie/lettings/ and go to colleges section
    www.collegecribs.ie
    www.findahome.ie and go to colleges section
    www.carlowproperty.ie/letting/property.aspx - Carlow Property Management
    http://www.raymaherpropertyservice.com/search-results.aspx?cat=12 - Ray Maher Property Services

TBH I wouldn't go with the 2nd letting agency, this is purely from personal experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

For all students just be aware of the people you are dealing with - there are regulatory matters at play when you rent a room or a house and you should ensure that these are being followed especially if any disputes occur.
    1. All landlords need to be registered with the PRTB if they are renting a house - those that aren't are breaking the law, evading tax and are probably just basically unscrupulous hence you can probably wave goodbye to any deposit paid.
    2. You must be provided with a rent book clearing showing details of the property, payment made etc
    3. You should ask to see the BER certificate for all houses - the lower the rating the more you will end up paying in fuel charges trying to keep the place warm

These are just general examples and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any inclination from Carlow IT to protect students from rogue landlords.

Finally, it is a buyers market at present so negotiate hard on the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

For all students just be aware of the people you are dealing with - there are regulatory matters at play when you rent a room or a house and you should ensure that these are being followed especially if any disputes occur.
    1. All landlords need to be registered with the PRTB if they are renting a house - those that aren't are breaking the law, evading tax and are probably just basically unscrupulous hence you can probably wave goodbye to any deposit paid.
    2. You must be provided with a rent book clearing showing details of the property, payment made etc
    3. You should ask to see the BER certificate for all houses - the lower the rating the more you will end up paying in fuel charges trying to keep the place warm
    These are just general examples and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any inclination from Carlow IT to protect students from rogue landlords.

Finally, it is a buyers market at present so negotiate hard on the rent.

The IT is unable to help students with landlord problems, we can only advise students on the best course of action. The Student Union however CAN act on a students behalf.

Make sure you get a contract from the lanlord and that you see the property before paying a depost. You would be amazed at the number of students who don't know the terms AND haven't looked at the property in advance!! It's basic stuff which is overlooked year after year :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement