Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idea for a server map.

• 16-08-2011 3:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Just a random thought, I was going to have a bash at this myself but would be fun with others to do.
    *Note I also don't have a server to host this :P

But I was thinking of making a Replica of the "Wheel of Time" map? Starting in Emond's field and branching out from there. It would be an imense project that could last for ages. There would need to be a full concensus on the server of everyone doing this when they're on.

Is anyone else interested in something like this?

(Incase you don't know the wheel of Time)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time#Premise

map-640-8.bmp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

That looks like it could take a while :P

You could try use a Map editor ( linky )to give an outline of the land and then use World Edit to generate forests and mountains. There's some commands in there for smoothing terrain too iirc.

It is the map and not some wheel right? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Having ever got round to reading the wheel of time, it would have to be something like the LOTR middle earth map for me.

Though something like it would be a good idea

Think of all the places though, Minas Tirith, Helms Deep, Isengard, Fangorn Forest, Mordor, Lonely Mountain and Moria :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I'd love to do the middle earth one too, but it is already being done/is a server afaik.

It is like the lotr map in terms of medievil style and what not.

Crow92 wrote: »
    I'd love to do the middle earth one too, but it is already being done/is a server afaik.

It is like the lotr map in terms of medievil style and what not.

Hmmmm

I'd still love to do it. In particular Minas Tirith would be awesome. Though you would need a lot of white wool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

A big project like this would be awesome, but I don't know either this or LotR.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Another suggestion - A Song of Ice and Fire's map would also be fun and a lot of interesting challenges between The Wall, Winterfell, The Eyrie, The Red Keep in Kings Landing and the Slaver Cities if Old Ghis. Given the TV show, it's pretty popular, so it might be easier to get help on if there're already people working on Middle Earth.

like that idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

My vote goes for Fable's Albion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Shiminay wrote: »
    Another suggestion - A Song of Ice and Fire's map would also be fun and a lot of interesting challenges between The Wall, Winterfell, The Eyrie, The Red Keep in Kings Landing and the Slaver Cities if Old Ghis. Given the TV show, it's pretty popular, so it might be easier to get help on if there're already people working on Middle Earth.
    I would help with that. I loved the tv show and i'm going to buy the book series soon. So i'd be up for that one. I think that would take much longer than the one Crow is suggesting though.

I'd be up for any of the above tbh, they all have the same idea.

Lotr has the easiest way of making it with such distinctive places people know to see.

Song of fire and ice, haven't heard of it before, only googled to find it's the game of thrones series, gonna download that now to look at. Is it easy to get pictures and get a general idea of the places?

The westlands in the wheel of time would be the most subjective of map designs. there are to my knowledge no actual pictures made for this series only discriptions so it'd need to be interpreted.

I'd be up for anything if anyone has a server to do it? We'd obviously need to plan this a lot first though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Botulism wrote: »
    My vote goes for Fable's Albion.

If I had 10000 thumbs, I'd thumb it all the way baby! Would love to try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shiminay wrote: »
    Building a 700 foot, 300-mile long wall out of ice blocks. Could take a while :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

seamus wrote: »
    Building a 700 foot, 300-mile long wall out of ice blocks. Could take a while :)

So for a 1 to 1 model that would be 210 blocks high and 480,000 blocks long :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

*cough*skycap*cough* :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Solitaire wrote: »
    *cough*skycap*cough* :p

Yeah, gotta wait for 1.8 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Yeah sounds like a great idea! Could take a couple of months but it would be a great project to do as a team :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 noobacus

im pretty new to this but think its a great idea and i think i could manage to help out with the wall at least :D

Anyone have any ideas for maps besides the three? will pop up a poll thread if there are no others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

A replication of some towns from the Pokemon series? :P
    Perhaps Kanto? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Springfield (Simpsons)
    New New York (Futurama)

Probably wouldn't be as big as the others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

seamus wrote: »

Don't forget, we need to include Castle Black, Deep Lake, Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, Greyguard, Icemark, Long Barrow, Nightfort, Oakenshield, Queensgate, Shadow Tower, Stonedoor, Westwatch-by-the-Bridge and Woodswatch-by-the-Pool...

13 Castles along the Wall itself, no small task... :)

Advertisement