Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High quality assemble and disassemble set

• 16-08-2011 4:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering can anyone recommend a good quality set of tools that would have pretty much every common head and bit for taking apart and putting back together various bits of furniture, door frames, etc. The set I use at the moment isn't the best and I'd like a compact but comprehensive set I can keep in the van to have on hand when needed.

Lidl have this: http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_12576.htm

but I wouldn't be sure of the quality, I don't want the bits going to pieces on a stubborn screw etc.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

bump? :)

What kind of set should I be looking for even? The one I linked to above is "S2 Steel".. is this any good or will it fall apart with a stubborn screw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They're quality isn't too bad. I've broken a few of their flatheads, but that would be on a siezed screw on a wheel hub or I'd be guntering it around under a car or that. I've broken more expensive ones doing the same thing too.

If its flat pack you'll be assembling then you may want to invest in a cordless drill too. It can get pretty frustrating after your 20th screw when doing it by hand.

Thanks for the input :) It won't necessarily be a flat pack, it will just be various pieces of furniture, maybe door frames etc that will need to be taken apart/put back together when helping some customers move house, which is my line of business. So just looking for a set that I can call on if something doesn't fit out the door to my van.

So you reckon S2 Steel would be good enough for that type of use and would last? Would ideally like a full set that can fold up nicely and go behind the seat in the cab of the van. So would be looking for all screw head types, allan keys, hex screws and all that kind of thing. The volume wouldn't really require a cordless thankfully :) I doubt the lidl one is still in stock, do you have any other suggestions on a good place to get a high quality set?

Halfords and the like do good quality sets, but not necessarily the cheapest. Lidl do have cordless drills in from time to time, but that aside, in my experience If a screw breaks the head of a screwdriver then would do it to any screwdriver, cheap or not.

Just steer well clear of the cheap-o rolson brands and you won't go far wrong.

BTW, are you referring to actually removing the whole door frame???

Not the whole door frame, sorry wrote frame by mistake :o but on very rare occasions a door will need to be taken off it's frame for something to fit through.

Would rather stay away from Halfords as I know they tend to be very expensive. I was using a cheapo all in one type tool, actually bought in Lidl to take a stubborn screw out and it peared down the screw bit in no time! Used a better set and it came out fine so I'm just looking for something that I can rely on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try this set, its pretty reasonable for the money IMO.

Thanks a lot for that. That set certainly looks comprehensive, has more than I'd need, a bit pricey at €139 (plus delivery?) if I'm needing a set for each van, but looks like it would definitely meet my needs. Could also be handy to have such a tool kit in the event of any roadside trouble with the van. How would chrome vanadium steel compare with S2 steel in terms of longevity and quality I wonder?

Screws in door hinges are generally about 10 years old and have about 50 layers of paint on them. 9 times out of 10 they're a bitch to get out anyway. More times I've had to get a nail bar in behind the hinge and force it out because of one stubborn screw. Although I don't think that's a road you want to head down really.

Not with a customers door I don't think :D

Are there any brands generally considered top quality? What about Stanley and the likes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

cormie wrote: »
    Not with a customers door I don't think :D

Are there any brands generally considered top quality? What about Stanley and the likes?

I have a Makita set -- one of these:

http://www.makita-direct.co.uk/acatalog/Makita_8391DWPE3_18v_Combi_Drill.html

It was horrendously expensive, but it has a wide range of wood, masonry and metal drill bits, screwdriver heads, Torx drivers, and hex drivers. Also contains a magnetic spirit level and other goodies. The hammer action has never yet failed to loosen any seized screws on door frames etc., and the batteries hold their charges forever. A couple of days work on one charge is normal. I have found that it replaced a whole range of tools that I would normally have to sort through to find the right one.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, that's a bit pricey alright and I'd prefer not to have to depend on a battery because knowing me, it would lose its charge by the time I actually need to use it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, that's a bit pricey alright and I'd prefer not to have to depend on a battery because knowing me, it would lose its charge by the time I actually need to use it :o

Yup. Fair point. All I can say (not being a Makita agent) is that the set comes with two batteries. I keep one on charge when I am using the other, and in the past I took both with me on jobs -- one fully charged and the other in use. Having said that, I have always had reservations about cordless tools. I am old enough to lean towards power from a socking great power station:p

Yeah Makita are the business, used them a lot serving time as a chippy but don't think they'd be suitable for this application :)

In terms of hand tools, I'm having trouble remembering the high quality brands, I know there's dewalt, stanley etc but I can't recall how good they actually are..

Found this set: http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/37474/CTK88EU-Toolkit-Wall-Mounted-88-Piece, it's the right price and seems to have everything I need, but I'm concerned about the quality, was hoping to get a set by a brand I knew, Stanley, DeWalt, Craftsman etc but I've never heard of Crescent and don't want to end up with a set that's not up to par.

Has anyone experience of this company and it's quality?

Still looking for this unfortunately, came across this stanley set which looks decent enough but I don't think the allen keys are big enough: http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/product/160995

I posted before about Rothewald and recently got a set of their T-Handle drivers.
    I have to say that I am very impressed by the quality, thick satin finish chrome and very strongly made.
    These are professional tools IMO.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy more from this brand.
    They have a 108pc 1/4 and 1/2" set for €60 +$ 10 P+P
    Not bad I think

Thanks again for the suggestion. I'd probably go for the other set you posted even though it's more than double the price, it seems to have a lot more?

I guess as with anything you don't know, I'm a bit apprehensive about going with a brand I've never heard of, whereas I've heard of Stanley and from a bit of research, seems they are one of the best hand tool makers in terms of quality.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I'd probably go for the other set you posted even though it's more than double the price, it seems to have a lot more?

I guess as with anything you don't know, I'm a bit apprehensive about going with a brand I've never heard of, whereas I've heard of Stanley and from a bit of research, seems they are one of the best hand tool makers in terms of quality.
    I don't know how to convince you but I have lots of handtools.
    Some cheap and some not cheap:D. These would rate with any of the good stuff I have.
    They are not Snap-on or Stahlwille quality but are not very far behind at all.
    I can't see you having any issues with a set of this quality.
    I would rate them as being better than C.K. tools and about the same as Teng.
    That first set I linked too has just about everything you need for most mechanical stuff apart from a torque wrench.
    They have a 2 year money back guarantee.

Thanks again for that, it's not so much a mechanical application, more for just doors, furniture etc as opposed to bikes/vehicles which I think that site is aimed at. I wonder is the same set available locally at all, with the Irish VAT on it!

Thanks again for that, it's not so much a mechanical application, more for just doors, furniture etc as opposed to bikes/vehicles which I think that site is aimed at. I wonder is the same set available locally at all, with the Irish VAT on it!
    I doubt it, you could look around but I have only seen that brand on that website. You'd rather buy local? That would push the price up a tad I would imagine, 17.5% in DE as opposed to 21% here!
    I am sure that set will handle any Ikea stuff you could think of. I get frustrated with the ****ty 4mm hex stuff they give out with the furniture, having a proper 4mm driver on a 1/4" socket is much nicer to work with.
    Its easier to have too many tools than too few in my experience.

• Advertisement

I'm VAT registered and this would be a business purchase so it might work out better to buy in Ireland, but no doubt the deals won't be as good :(

Just a quick, I need a socket set but I'm not sure if there are different types of socket sets or are they all generally the same? Would the two Rothewald sets linked to be comprehensive enough in terms of a typical socket set?

Have just been doing a bit more googling since my last post, so an hour and a half research and have found out the best brands seem to be:

Snap-On
    Proxxon
    Stahlwille

and then you have cheaper but still highly recommended brands like:

Britool
    Teng Tools

There are highly recommended brands like Craftsman etc, but they have to come from the states so shipping would be pricey!

I couldn't find any info at all really on Rohewald, translated a few German forums but still not much experience of them.

I may still settle for the first Rothewald set linked to but purely based on the amount of recommendations of the likes of Britool and Teng Tools, would love to find a similar, affordable set from either brand.

Didn't come across anything similar to the Rothewald set so will probably just go with that :) I'm sure it'll be fine for the use I'll give it anyway! It's rare enough I'd need anything but just want something that won't disintegrate when I come across a stubborn screw and want to know I have a comprehensive enough kit to handle most anything I'll encounter :)

I am sure you'll be fine with that set. You could probably take your van apart and reassemble it with that set!
    I am thinking of one actually, I had a 20% off voucher but it was only for friday and sat!

That set has now been reduced to €99.95! Don't worry, I haggled a cheaper price even still but thought I'd post here to say. It was only reduced a day or two after I bought it, which is weird considering it was the €139 price for months before.

Advertisement