Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$* CAO offers - how they work *$*$*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You don't know whether you have the points or not yet, and nobody here can say for now at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

dambarude wrote: »
    You don't know whether you have the points or not yet, and nobody here can say for now at least.

Oh damn..Time to worry my head off :L

Best of luck with it, you haven't much longer to wait. Try not to worry too much:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thank you very much. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

There's another thread on CAO offers over here. It's twice as long as this one so I just thought it was worth pointing it out. It's also aimed more specifically at what the offers are tomorrow, instead of the FAQ.

Best of luck tomorrow everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

If I accept my offer but then don't go there does that mean someone will miss out on the course? I'm just scared of chickening out of Scotland like but don't want to be selfish and ruin someone else's chances!

Depending on when you reject it, it could be offered in later rounds.

Once the third round is over it's usually left to the colleges themselves to fill any vacancies which arise (it's not done through the CAO). Somebody I knew had done a week of one course before getting a call from Trinity telling her a place had come in her higher preference course there. She upped sticks and left, as you would!

Oh, ok thanks. And how do I reject it?

Well if you leave it too late to reject with the CAO and it's well into September I'm guessing you'd have to ring the Admissions Office of the college.

Quick question, if I choose to defer my first choice and then am offered my third, can I accept it?

Or if I accept my third, can I then defer any course that I'm offered?

I'm guessing 'no' and 'no'. :(

• Advertisement

Sarah? wrote: »
    Quick question, if I choose to defer my first choice and then am offered my third, can I accept it?

Or if I accept my third, can I then defer any course that I'm offered?

I'm guessing 'no' and 'no'. :(

Won't happen. If you're offered your 1st you won't get an other offer. You only go up in preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Um hi, this may seem like a really silly question this late but we've been trying to get through to the number it says to call if you've lost your CAO number etc to log in to the website in the last few days but they've never answered. Should we be able to get in contact with them tomorrow if so what time? My boyfriend thinks that they send offers by post, I don't think that is right is it?:confused: We won't have a clue if he has been offered anything otherwise will we? Thanks in advance.

Nicole. wrote: »
    Um hi, this may seem like a really silly question this late but we've been trying to get through to the number it says to call if you've lost your CAO number etc to log in to the website in the last few days but they've never answered. Should we be able to get in contact with them tomorrow if so what time? My boyfriend thinks that they send offers by post, I don't think that is right is it?:confused: We won't have a clue if he has been offered anything otherwise will we? Thanks in advance.

You will get an offer in the post, as well as online.

Try ringing the CAO again tomorrow re the number, but if you're satisfied with the postal offer don't inundate them with calls. Tomorrow is a very busy day for them!

The offers come in the post as well (tomorrow I think) so don't fret! :)

His CAO number will be on the letter as well I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

dambarude wrote: »
    You will get an offer in the post, as well as online.

Try ringing the CAO again tomorrow re the number, but if you're satisfied with the postal offer don't inundate them with calls. Tomorrow is a very busy day for them!

Thank you very much, that won't come for a few days (through the post) will it? I just want to know so I'm not panicking tomorrow:) Yes, we'll try ringing them again maybe Tuesday when things have settled down a little.

Won't happen. If you're offered your 1st you won't get an other offer. You only go up in preference.

Thanks, so does that mean I can't just ignore my first offer (if I get it), hang around to see if the points go up even slightly (therefore being above my points score), and then get a lower preference offer?

And ah, when are the round two offers out? :confused:

Thank you very much, that won't come for a few days (through the post) will it? I just want to know so I'm not panicking tomorrow:) Yes, we'll try ringing them again maybe Tuesday when things have settled down a little.

The offer will come in the post tomorrow.

Not much use for the likes of me, where it comes at 3pm, but I'm sure you could pick it at the local post office very early if you wished.

Thanks, so does that mean I can't just ignore my first offer (if I get it), hang around to see if the points go up even slightly (therefore being above my points score), and then get a lower preference offer?

You'll NEVER get a lower preference offer!

Round 2 is Monday week afaik.

If you're offered your first preference, that's it. You won't be offered anything else at that level (you could be offered something at level 6/7 which operates separately).

Round two offers are out a week later, if my memory serves me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

NO!

Does anyone know where this misinformation started? I've been reading and hearing about it quite a lot this year.

• Advertisement

You'll NEVER get a lower preference offer!

Round 2 is Monday week afaik.

Ah, AFAIK = as far as I know! You learn something new every day :D :pac:
    NO!

Does anyone know where this misinformation started? I've been reading and hearing about it quite a lot this year.

Career Guidance classes. Too many people at my school think you can reject your first offer and take your second/third/fourth if you want. (I only thought it might be the case if I hadn't accepted choice one, and then it rose, leaving me with points below the requirement. Obviously not!) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Career Guidance classes. Too many people at my school think you can reject your first offer and take your second/third/fourth if you want. (I only thought it might be the case if I hadn't accepted choice one, and then it rose, leaving me with points below the requirement. Obviously not!) :rolleyes:

/facepalm

That's just depressing, it's their freaking job for crying out loud!

/facepalm

That's just depressing, it's their freaking job for crying out loud!

Yup, in my experience they actually know less about Career Guidance than teachers of other subjects, and less than a lot of parents too.

I'm just lucky I'm the youngest in the family so Mammy has a decent knowledge of the CAO craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

and then get a lower preference offer?
    You will NEVER get a lower preference offer!

See first post in this thread!
    NO!

I've no idea, but I wish people would actually read the damn handbook! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Just asking...

Say if I appeal a subject for more points but accept my 2nd choice while waiting,
    and my grade increases, what happens????:confused:

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Just asking...

Say if I appeal a subject for more points but accept my 2nd choice while waiting,
    and my grade increases, what happens????:confused:

If you then get enough points for your first choice the uni has to accept ya and give you a place (either this year or next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

If I reject my first offer, can I accept a second offer even if it's lower on my preferences ?

BOHtox wrote: »
    If I reject my first offer, can I accept a second offer even if it's lower on my preferences ?

Oh lord.

That's been asked many times in this thread.

You will NEVER get a lower preference offer. EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Question:

My first choice went up but got offered my second. If I want to hang on to see if I got it in second round,do I just ignore the offer I got? And when is second round?

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Question:

My first choice went up but got offered my second. If I want to hang on to see if I got it in second round,do I just ignore the offer I got? And when is second round?

Accept your first offer. If you get nothing the second time, and you decline your first then you have nothing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement