Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$* CAO offers - how they work *$*$*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

So I can accept my second choice and still be offered my other one in the second round if I were to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

UrbanSea wrote: »
    So I can accept my second choice and still be offered my other one in the second round if I were to be?

Yeah! :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paul92

I'm 5 points off Psychology through Science in Maynooth (gutted)...

Does anyone know the likelihood of a course like that to come down by 5 points in round 2 or should I not be hopeful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

paul92 wrote: »

Does anyone know the likelihood of a course like that to come down by 5 points in round 2 or should I not be hopeful?

If I was in your position I'd be cautiously optimistic enough for that one, but it's far from definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

LukeDavfc wrote: »
    Hi, Mr Ignorant here, sorry!

I got 405 points, my third choice was Commerce-international at UCD, 400 points minimum last year. I've got all the requirements for that. My first and second choices were Science at Trinity and UCD respectively. I think I'm a few points off the minimum points requirement for last year on both of these but I'd much rather do a science course at TCD/UCD than the commerce course.

What I was wondering is what happens if I get offered the commerce course on Monday and I accept it, but then I get offered a science course later? Can I cancel the acceptance and take the science course instead as it is higher on the list?

What are the chances of me being able to do science at TCD/UCD with 405 points?

Thank you so much and I hope all other leaving certs are happy!

going by this years points chances of tcd or ucd very slim as they went up around 20 points each with trinity now 475 and ucd 455 so honestly u can repeat r do the course you've been offered

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paul92

._. wrote: »
    paul92 wrote: »

If I was in your position I'd be cautiously optimistic enough for that one, but it's far from definite.

I appreciate your honesty mate, I won't get my hopes up though don't worry.

As a separate question would it be worth contacting NUI Maynooth with the same question or would they be able to answer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bmcq

i repeated the leaving this year and got an offer but it was based on my points from last year and my number from this year is no where to be seen on my cao form. Am i doomed? Will i just have to re-apply next year? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Hey guys,

I have a LLB Law course in Maynooth at about 8 on my preferences. Right above that was Philosophy/Russian in Trinity. I didn't think I was going to get Philo/Russian but I did and I got offered it this morning. With my points I got both of them. Is it possible in any way to actually get Law in Maynooth now? Like can I wait for the second round of offers and would it be possible to get offered the course or what? This CAO is fricking confusing! Can I refuse Philo/Rus and accept Law (if there are vacant places) or what?

Plus, is a degree in Philosophy useful? lol? I took it because i believed it would be a great degree to have but now I'm not so sure...help please!

Plus if I reject Philo/Rus will it be without a doubt offered to me in the second round?

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have a LLB Law course in Maynooth at about 8 on my preferences. Right above that was Philosophy/Russian in Trinity. I didn't think I was going to get Philo/Russian but I did and I got offered it this morning. With my points I got both of them. Is it possible in any way to actually get Law in Maynooth now? Like can I wait for the second round of offers and would it be possible to get offered the course or what? This CAO is fricking confusing! Can I refuse Philo/Rus and accept Law (if there are vacant places) or what?

Plus, is a degree in Philosophy useful? lol? I took it because i believed it would be a great degree to have but now I'm not so sure...help please!

Plus if I reject Philo/Rus will it be without a doubt offered to me in the second round?

If you read through this thread you'll see this question and it's answer many times.

And if you reject Phil/Rus you'll only get a HIGHER preference offer in round 2 IF you have the points. If you reject and don't get a round 2 offer you're fúcked.

You will NEVER go down in preference. EVER.

• Advertisement

So there's no way to reject Philo at all? For feck's sake. Feck feck feck...

So there's no way to reject Philo at all? For feck's sake. Feck feck feck...

Well by all means reject it but you're not guaranteed another offer.

Would I be able to get into Maynooth Law if there was a vacant place? You can accept vacant places in any course you are eligible for, which is any course which you got the points for. So if Law had vacant places, would I be able to apply for that course via CAO.ie despite it being lower in preference? The CAO handbook says I'm eligible for Law too...thanks for the help, btw Ciara!

Eggy how do you know vacant courses?

Edit:Misread her comment. Tomorrow at 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

If I defer my first choice today, is there anyway I can change my mind and accept it in a few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

hey if i do a level 7 this year and change to level 8 next year do i have to pay fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Would I be able to get into Maynooth Law if there was a vacant place? You can accept vacant places in any course you are eligible for, which is any course which you got the points for. So if Law had vacant places, would I be able to apply for that course via CAO.ie despite it being lower in preference? The CAO handbook says I'm eligible for Law too...thanks for the help, btw Ciara!
    Yes, if Maynooth had vacant places on this course listed!

That's the rub ... I'd say the chances are between slim and none, and slim's probably on holidays!!
    Sarah? wrote: »
    If I defer my first choice today, is there anyway I can change my mind and accept it in a few days?
    Not that I know of.

Do it the other way round, accept now and defer later if you're absolutely sure that's what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

I know this might be the wrong section but lads I really need a hand with this one:

So I have been offered a place in NUIG, I hope to take a year out in a PLC course in order to ease myself in 3rd level education as I am quite young. I hope to defer my place for the coming year.

Will, (does anyone know) this effect my chances of getting a grant this year in the PLC aswel as next year in University. I would imagine not but if anyone has any insight it will help. Trying to get through to the local VEC at times is a nigthmare.

Do it the other way round, accept now and defer later if you're absolutely sure that's what you want to do.

That can't be right, anything I've seen on deferring places starts off with "do not accept the offer, contact the college immediately..."

[See point one of "Deferral Procedure" on page five of the CAO handbook (I know, I actually bothered to read some of it instead of just posting questions on Boards...)] :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ihavenoname

Hey sorry it might be an obvious question but if i defer my course i got offered today and then actually get my first choice when the second offers come out can i take that one instead? and cancel the deferred course? :confused:

• Advertisement

Hey sorry it might be an obvious question but if i defer my course i got offered today and then actually get my first choice when the second offers come out can i take that one instead? and cancel the deferred course? :confused:

You can accept any offer you get higher than you're deferral, or defer it if you don't want to accept it.

Read it in the paper today. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ihavenoname

Thanks so much! :D

Sarah? wrote: »
    That can't be right, anything I've seen on deferring places starts off with "do not accept the offer, contact the college immediately..."

[See point one of "Deferral Procedure" on page five of the CAO handbook (I know, I actually bothered to read some of it instead of just posting questions on Boards...)] :D
    You have a point.

You may have to make your final decision more quickly, though I'm sure I've heard of people deciding to defer later after accepting their offer. They may have tightened things down though, I honestly don't know.

I'm pretty sure though that if you defer now you normally won't be able to reverse that, as your place will go back into the pot.

...You may have to make your final decision more quickly, though I'm sure I've heard of people deciding to defer later after accepting their offer. They may have tightened things down though, I honestly don't know...

Thanks anyway. :)

What are the odds on places in Arts not being filled up? Demand is down this year but I suppose it's still a long shot. Apparently you can get a lower place on your CAO if there are places available, even if you got your first choice.

Yes, if Maynooth had vacant places on this course listed!

Does it say on the CAO website or what?

Does it say on the CAO website or what?
    Aye, under Vacant Places.

Here.

But Vacant Places ain't open until tomorrow morning, or so it says.

Yes, that's right.

And even then it will be updated regularly over the next few weeks.

And as I said, I wouldn't expect law in Maynooth to appear on it at any stage (but that's my best guess, obviously).

Ah, shur...:)

• Advertisement

What about GY101 having any vacancies? Hardly. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement