Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*$*$* CAO offers - how they work *$*$*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

What course is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Arts - NUIG. I think it has about a thousand places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

I wouldn't be too confident. It went down by 15 points and I think it is the lowest arts course ever made available in this country at 340 points.

That is not to say that some may drop out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

How do you actually reject an offer? Sorry if its in the thread but I'm in a rush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    How do you actually reject an offer? Sorry if its in the thread but I'm in a rush!

If you don't accept the offer within the time limit then it'll automatically be rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Not accepting a first round offer has absolutely no effect on 2nd round offers right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Not accepting a first round offer has absolutely no effect on 2nd round offers right?

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Second year of doing the CAO and its still driving me mental!

Got a level 7 offer but waiting(hoping) on a level 8 offer- if i accept the level 7 offer(in case i dont get the second round offer) , will it affect me possibly being offered the second round level 8 offer?

also, vacant places. can i wait until after the round 2 offers are out to apply for them, or must i do it before that?

Second year of doing the CAO and its still driving me mental!

Got a level 7 offer but waiting(hoping) on a level 8 offer- if i accept the level 7 offer(in case i dont get the second round offer) , will it affect me possibly being offered the second round level 8 offer?

also, vacant places. can i wait until after the round 2 offers are out to apply for them, or must i do it before that?

Nope. Accepting your Level 7 will have no effect on round 2 offers.

I don't know about vacant places though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If I accept a first round offer can I refuse it later before I start in the college free of charge, even if I don't get any later offers?

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    If I accept a first round offer can I refuse it later before I start in the college free of charge, even if I don't get any later offers?

>.>

There will be no fee for declining it!

I promise! :D

Hi. Sorry if its been asked already, but is it still possible to apply for vacant place courses after round 2 offers have been made, or must they be done prior to that?

Nope. Accepting your Level 7 will have no effect on round 2 offers.

I don't know about vacant places though! :)

Thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi. Sorry if its been asked already, but is it still possible to apply for vacant place courses after round 2 offers have been made, or must they be done prior to that?
    As far as I know, you can apply for a vacant place at any time during the process (except when the facility is closed to allow for processing of Round 1 / Round 2 offers, as it is to-day).

Vacant places info.

A bit dense, I know, but useful nevertheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

jumpguy wrote: »

You can even start the course, and as long as you drop out by the first of October, you won't have to pay fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I got 435 points, and got my 3rd choice Arts and Humanities in Pats, but i would prefer to do my 4th choice which is English and Religion Teaching in Mater Dei. Would there be anyway at all i could get this offer? like if i rang the college and asked if they had any free places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

xclw wrote: »
    I got 435 points, and got my 3rd choice Arts and Humanities in Pats, but i would prefer to do my 4th choice which is English and Religion Teaching in Mater Dei. Would there be anyway at all i could get this offer? like if i rang the college and asked if they had any free places?

No, because you indicated on your CAO form that you wanted the course in Pats more than you wanted Mater Dei. So they gave you your highest preference. Any places that are freed up for the second round will be offered to anyone else who had it on their CAO but were offered something lower down their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

This year I have lost out on a course through random selection. I have received an offer for the same course in another college. I'm not too sure about going to this college. My question is, can I defer this course and repeat the leaving cert hoping I get my first choice second time 'round, but using the course I got this year as safety in case I fail to get my preferred choice next year?
    Basically I want to repeat the leaving to try and get my preferred choice but in case I don't get it second time 'round I want a safety?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If you defer a course you have to reapply through the CAO to accept it again next year. This involves placing just one option on your form at #1 - the deferred course.

To do what you want to do you would have to place more than one course on your application, which automatically re-enters you into competition for all the courses again.

So as far as I'm aware, the answer to your question is no.

It's all in the CAO handbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

When do offers for vacant places come out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 virtus1

Some early information on today's second round offers for anyone interested: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0901/1224303293778.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Hey I was looking at a sheet today and it mentioned Mid and Final points for courses; the Final points were much lower than the Mid values. Is the Mid value the Second round? And is the Final value the Third Round? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 virtus1

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Hey I was looking at a sheet today and it mentioned Mid and Final points for courses; the Final points were much lower than the Mid values. Is the Mid value the Second round? And is the Final value the Third Round? Thanks!
    The final values are the second round. The mid value is the average number of points scored by applicants who were offered a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

if i've accepted a course, how do i unaccept it? just ring the college yeah?

xclw wrote: »
    if i've accepted a course, how do i unaccept it? just ring the college yeah?

Yeah, and do it asap so someone else can be offered your place quickly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

How do i go about changing my course?....or is it too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Shanee. wrote: »
    How do i go about changing my course?....or is it too late

What are you in/what do you want to change it to?

All you can do is go to the admissions office of the college and see what they can do for you. Things are for the most part out of the CAO's hands now so just arrange a meeting with someone in the university. I wouldn't have very high hopes but its worth a try, it would really depend on what courses you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Im in Comp and Electronic Engineerin in GMIT (Level 7) and want to change to my Level 8 choice which was Arts in NUIG....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Shanee. wrote: »
    Im in Comp and Electronic Engineerin in GMIT (Level 7) and want to change to my Level 8 choice which was Arts in NUIG....

I'm really not sure tbh, but I definitely wouldn't depend too much on this happening as you're dealing with different colleges. Still, I'm sure your admissions office have seen it all before and will be able to give you some advice. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Do any of ye know when the rechecks come out??
    Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement