Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know the origin of the term "Joe Maxi"?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 5:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

For a taxi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Jo Maxi was a well known RTÉ show in the eighties

Do you remember it?

It had different sections, the one I remember most was Babel, kind of a debate/information session and they'd get youth groups like a local Fóroige on it to discuss issues
    Everyone knew and since it involved the youth, so it became a common term

There was a petrol pump in the credits I think so got associated with motors and taxis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

mikemac wrote: »
    Jo Maxi was a well known RTÉ show in the eighties

Do you remember it?

It had different sections, the one I remember most was Babel, kind of a debate/information session and they'd get youth groups like a local Fóroige on it to discuss issues
    Everyone knew and since it involved the youth, so it became a common term

There was a petrol pump in the credits I think so got associated with motors and taxis

I remember it (was on it much to my eternal shame) but I was under the impression that it was named for the slang term and wasn't the origin of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

More to the point, what the hell does "Jo Maxi" mean if it's just a tv show names? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A quick look at urbandictionary and slang.ie shows RTÉ came up with the name, the Dubs copied it later on

I would suspect it came from Vanessa Paradis and the famous Joe le Taxi which came out two years before RTÉ so timing sounds about right and a producer changed it around
    Very famous song, got right up in the charts and stayed there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Isn't it Joe Baxi?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 PulpitNeil

cosmic wrote: »
    Isn't it Joe Baxi?!
    No, you just have a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rhyming slang.... brilllliant.

A quick look at urbandictionary and slang.ie shows RTÉ came up with the name, the Dubs copied it later on

I dunno about slang.ie but I wouldn't really rely on urbandictionary to tell me the origin of a term. Anyone can and does post whatever the hell they want meaning and origin for any term under the sun on UD. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Joe baxi is the cockney slang for taxi, as most of us in the emerald isle like to be a bit different than our friends across the water I am assuming the we dubs changed it to jo maxi, I am certain that this word was going around and used in the early 70,s. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I would suspect it came from Vanessa Paradis and the famous Joe le Taxi which came out two years before RTÉ so timing sounds about right and a producer changed it around
    Very famous song, got right up in the charts and stayed there

Urbandictionary is incorrect. That show kicked off when I was in my teens (I was young enough to get ridiculously excited that RTE schedulers had produced such a hip, swinging kinda programme for hip, swinging kids like myself :p ) and I clearly remember one of the presenters explaining, a la Blue Peter, that a 'Jo Maxi' was Dublin slang for taxi.

I was growing up down the country, and I certainly wasn't familiar with Dublin rhyming slang, so I didn't question it.

Maybe we should take this to Ray D'Arcy's Fix It Friday...

Advertisement