Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headphones with two output jacks

• 16-08-2011 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

This may be a dumb question, but do headphones with two output jacks exist? Say if I wanted to plug the same set of headphones/earphones into two different things, say two ipods for example. that's not what I want them for, just an easy example.

Do they exist? or is there some sort of splitter available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Two of these to link the 2 audio sources into the splitter:
    ck27_2003cat.jpg
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.5mm-stereo-plug-to-plug-lead-11422
    which go into the splitter:
    jm91.jpg
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.5mm-stereo-two-into-oneadaptor-1214
    which then goes into this:

n29ap.jpg
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/gold-3.5mm-stereo-jackcoupler-34619
    Which then plugs into your headphones.

There's probably some DJ equipment that does it much neater and would allow you to change between the two sources as you wish. In the above you're going to have both playing through the headphones at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

By using a splitter you are effectively connecting the 2 outputs together meaning that the audio from one device will feed back into the 2nd device.
    I damaged a soundcard once by inadvertently putting audio into the output socket. You risk damaging both devices.

I don't know if a splitter exists that has a switch to select either plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I don't get how they'd feed back, considering neither device can pick up any sound to feed back. Like one one headphones plugged into two ipods, for example, I assume I'd just be hearing what was playing on the two ipods.

One of the reasons I want this is to listen to an Ipod and listen to my guitar amp at the same time through the same headphones, so I can play along with the IPod, rather than just have a stereo blasting music at 4am.

yimrsg I'll try that thanks. :)

Fago! wrote: »
    I don't get how they'd feed back,

I didn't say feedback. I said feed back. As in the audio will from one device will go in the output of the other device.

But hey, what do I know.:rolleyes:

By all means try it. I'll say no more.

In fact what you really need is a small basic mixer that will keep both inputs isolated.
    Now some may say it'll work but I do know I damaged the soundcard by feeding audio back into the output.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I didn't say feedback. I said feed back. As in the audio will from one device will go in the output of the other device.

But hey, what do I know.:rolleyes:

By all means try it. I'll say no more.

Ha I'm not dissmissing you fuzzy, I just didn't understand is all.
    In fact what you really need is a small basic mixer that will keep both inputs isolated.
    Now some may say it'll work but I do know I damaged the soundcard by feeding audio back into the output.

Someone said that to me too about the mixer. Alot of effort. Maybe one day when I can afford one.

Ahhhhhhhh. awww. An idea I had that seemed so simple is now so diffficult and won't work. Thanks for the link though man. Makes sense to me now. Pity :(

Advertisement