Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conceiving after coming off pill?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Hi guys :)

I came off Yasmin 6 weeks ago after being on it for 5 years. 2 weeks later, I got my period (I presume it was a 'fake' one from the pill, though it was heavier and lasted longer). So I am now due a period since around last week but no sign of it! Am also very bloated and tetchy. I know it's probably just my body trying to readjust to the lack of synthetic hormones so I don't want to be taking a test yet. Anyone have a similar experience? What are the chances I could be pregnant and how long should I wait it out before testing? Thanks :)

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Could possibly be pms - I know when I came off the pill, whatever symptoms I would have had were supressed by the pill so came back with a vengance.

Early pregnancy symptoms closely resemble pms symptoms, so taking a test is the only way to know for sure. If you are TTC, then maybe invest in the cheapie internet tests - they work out at cents per item, so you can test as often as you like. There are links in the chat thread sticky.

Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Hey OP. I'm off Yasmin about a month too! Was on it guts of a year, Dianette before that.

One question, when you came off it, normally you get a withdrawal bleed a few days later (you're fake pill period). Did you have that and then have a full-on period 2 weeks later?

Today was the due date for my first normal period (based on the hypothesis that I have a perfect 28 day cycle, which I doubt).

Did a cheap Tesco's preg test this morning for the laugh. Negative but I thought it would be. Hubbie woke me up 10 mins early cos he had to leave for work but wanted me to do the test & wait for result before he left the house, he's so broody & excited it's gas!

Also, I'm extremely bloated since coming off it, starting to get the bad spots back & I was a narky knickers on the weekend. So I guess we'll both have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

No, I just got my pill period 2 weeks after stopping and nothing since. My pill period was heavier and more painful than normal but I put this down to the fact that I stopped mid cycle. Haven't had much trouble after stopping the Yasmin thank god (I read some horror stories about withdrawal online). Not sure if I've ovulated yet though... Ive read online that it's a good idea to take virtex and evening primrose supplements after stopping any oral contraceptive because it helps kickstart your body back into it's natural rhythm so I might give that a go :) fingers crossed for both of us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Grapefruit Moon

Hi Ladies, sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm just wondering about your experiences of coming off Yasmine. I'm getting married in 2 months and want to come off the pill now but am worried about potential side effects and being a bit hormone crazy on the run up to the wedding. I'm on Yasminelle about 4/5 years and the pill in general about 10 years. I've heard some horror stories from people who's hormones have gone beserk, breakouts of acne etc, so I don't know whether just to stick with it until all the emotions of the wedding are over or just say f**k it and come off it now! How was it for you guys when you came off it initially? Thanks btw.

Hi Ladies, sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm just wondering about your experiences of coming off Yasmine. I'm getting married in 2 months and want to come off the pill now but am worried about potential side effects and being a bit hormone crazy on the run up to the wedding. I'm on Yasminelle about 4/5 years and the pill in general about 10 years. I've heard some horror stories from people who's hormones have gone beserk, breakouts of acne etc, so I don't know whether just to stick with it until all the emotions of the wedding are over or just say f**k it and come off it now! How was it for you guys when you came off it initially? Thanks btw.

Well I'm off it just over a month now and I'm afraid to say some spots have made their way onto my face. It's not acne, can cover it up with make-up - in other words they're not too bad. Don't feel hormonal or anything, but my first period was heavier & more painful than normal.

But just remember everyone is different. Good luck with the wedding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm having big problems after coming off microlite. I was on it for two years and came off it in January in preparation for TTC after our May wedding. My cycles are 40+ days and I've yet to get a positive result with OPKs. On top of this, I've to go for a colposcopy and I'm worried this will set us back further.

I have started temping to try to determine if and when I'm actually ovulating. I would seriously not have gone on the pill if this had been mentioned as a possible side effect.

Hi Lazygal,
    can I ask what 'OPKs' means? sorry, am not familiar with all these abbreviations on this forum! Sorry to hear you're having trouble TTC (there's one I know!), do you feel that being on the pill has contributed to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

OPK = ovulation prediction kit.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OPK = Ovulation Prediction Kit
    HPT = Home pregnancy test
    AF = Aunt Flo.

Once you stray into Assisted Conception territory its all acronyms! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 broody boardie

I came off Microlite last month and my head is wrecked. Would have been due AF last Wednesday when I was on the pill. Had all the symptoms about a week before, moody and cramps etc but then no sign. Decided to do a test last Friday but it was negative. It said on the test if you get a negative when you're late to try again 3 days later so took one yesterday and negative again. I know it can take time for your body to get back to normal after the pill so I think it's the fact that I had all the symptoms that has my head wrecked. Am completely in limbo now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

My first cycle after coming of ovranette was 67days long so maybe just prepare yourself for some unpredictability!

so that's what AF stands for!! I'd figured out what it meant, but just couldn't figure out what the A and F stood for! there's one more I can't think of right now, think it means a positive test result but again can't figure out what the letters stand for!
    Anyway, went off topic there. Sorry to hear your head is wrecked broody boardie, I've heard some mixed reports of coming off the pill from friends, some went straight back to a normal cycle, others were more unpredictable, bet your head was wrecked newbie! with a 67 day cycle!
    A health store person today recommended omega oils to help balance hormones out, ended up buying something called 'Udo's choice ultimate oil blend', not sure if it was just a pure sales pitch but it contains evening primrose oil which I've heard is good for crazy hormones!
    Today is my first time in about ten years to stop taking the pill, excited but nervous! Best of luck to everyone x

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ms bean counter

Hi Grapefruit Moon, I think you mean BFP which stands for big fat positive. I just came off the pill for the first time too this week so I feel the very same excited & nervous too.

Good luck with it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

newbie! wrote: »
    My first cycle after coming of ovranette was 67days long so maybe just prepare yourself for some unpredictability!

My first cycle after GOING ON yasmin was the same! Should've seen it as a sign of bad things I suppose :(

My AF would've been due over 2 weeks ago now, I've taken 2 hpts (both neg). I'd love to be pregnant but I'm so moody at the moment that I'd be equally joyous just to get my period and have it out of the way!! Not used to these mood swings :rolleyes: Plus, I'm all swollen and twingey. Ugh! Somebody give me some good news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I stopped taking the pill last february (not trying to conceive, just was sick of the side effects) and my cycles still hadn't fully got back to normal by the time I found out I was pregnant this April. Some were as long as almost 40 days, others were normal at 28/29 days.

I'm not sure if it's common to take that long to become regular again? I've read that it takes up to 6 months on average. Just shows how much the hormones mess with your body!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm off to my GP tonight for what will hopefully be my last Pill prescription for a while. This 6 month script will take me up to the end of March next year and I'd like to start trying to get my body some way re balanced for TTC after that.
    I'm kinda freaking out a little though. I've been on the Pill since I was 19/20 with a few short breaks in between for various surgeries, wisdom teeth, arthroscopy x2. I'm now 34 and that is a long time to have been taking it I think:confused:
    I was on Lognyon to start off with and then after about 6 years my skin got bad so swapped to Yasmin and then a year ago it got bad again so I switched to Dianette.
    I'm worried that a) I'm 34 will be going on 35 when we start TCC and b) I've had so many hormones in my body for years that it will take forever to sort itself out.
    Am I being totally irrational:(:o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm off to my GP tonight for what will hopefully be my last Pill prescription for a while. This 6 month script will take me up to the end of March next year and I'd like to start trying to get my body some way re balanced for TTC after that.
    I'm kinda freaking out a little though. I've been on the Pill since I was 19/20 with a few short breaks in between for various surgeries, wisdom teeth, arthroscopy x2. I'm now 34 and that is a long time to have been taking it I think:confused:
    I was on Lognyon to start off with and then after about 6 years my skin got bad so swapped to Yasmin and then a year ago it got bad again so I switched to Dianette.
    I'm worried that a) I'm 34 will be going on 35 when we start TCC and b) I've had so many hormones in my body for years that it will take forever to sort itself out.
    Am I being totally irrational:(:o

It's nothing to do with your age but it is likely that your body will take a good while to settle.

Would you consider coming off the pill earlier and using a barrier form of contraception? Then once you're ready to try, your body will be ready too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I came off my pill 2.5 years ago at 32 (Mercilon...came off Yasmine 2 years before that)...normal periods returned within 3 months but still TTC. In contrast my friend who had also been on the pill for years came off hers at the same time and was pregnant within six weeks. Bodies are funny things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with your age but it is likely that your body will take a good while to settle.

Would you consider coming off the pill earlier and using a barrier form of contraception? Then once you're ready to try, your body will be ready too.

I've been thinking along those lines. Its funny really, I know that I do want to have a family and so does my boyfriend, its just hard to get your head around not taking contraception daily. I know thats really stupid as there are other options to prevent pregnancy for now. :o
    I'm am getting worried about my age though. All of a sudden too. This whole wanting to have a baby thing has really hit me hard in the last year. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I'm off Yasmine for about a year and a half now and had no problems coming off it. Was on Microlite and Mercilon before that. Was taking the pill for about 10 years in total, with a years break. I had very regular periods before starting the pill and they just went back to normal straight away when i stopped.

Getting married next year and will (fingers crossed) be trying to conceive shortly after. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭VictoriaC

I was taking the pill for 14 yrs - Femodene and then Minulet - without any breaks.

Only off it 4 months - lots of problems, as in had 2 Af's (this excludes the FAKE/withdrawal bleed) - that were very very light and now I'm on day 40 and no joy - lots of cramping around 30 days but now nothing and BFN.

Doc says it can take up to 6 months to get a full flow AF. It's very frustrating and upsetting - I didn't know this beforehand and if I did I would have come off the pill a year ago or 6 months at the very least. I just assumed - off the pill = pregnant.

no other side effects tho - as in skin/hair - all the same, even weight is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irishgal2012

I was on the pill for 10 years without any breaks, came off it at the end of july and so far so good, had my withdrawal bleed, then had my first 'real' period 30 days later, then another one 28 days later...seems like my body is back in working order..also im pretty sure im ovulating as ive noticed changes in my CM...hoping to be pregnant by christmas but dont know if thats wishful thinking or not!!

I have gained some weight since coming off it but that could also be down to not watching what i was eating while on honeymoon!!

I dont think the amount of flow you have is anything to worry about-you could still get pregnant as long as you are ovulating!

Victoria, I also naively assumed no pill=pregnant the next month.

I'm off it since January 2011 and my cycles are crazy. I'm now waiting 80 days for my period. In fact, I'm off to Holles St today because we think we might need help.

I don't know if my problems are directly related to the pill but I don't think I'd have started on it if I'd known how screwy my cycles would be coming off it when I want to be back to normal.

Thanks Irishgal - I did do an OV test both months and it was positive - it coincided with my CM tracking!
    I've been using preseed this cycle too - I've done two tests and both BFN - really think we got the timing right this month. But now not a sign in the world of either BFP or AF's arrival. Confusing....

As far as I know, even if you get the timing exactly right you still only have a 1 in 4 chance of conceiving every month..so i wouldnt lose hope yet! I havent started with OPK's yet as I dont wanna get too stressed over it too quickly, if by january ive still no joy i might start with them!

Im actually surprised how much its on my mind already!

Babydust ****

lazygal wrote: »
    Victoria, I also naively assumed no pill=pregnant the next month.

I'm off it since January 2011 and my cycles are crazy. I'm now waiting 80 days for my period. In fact, I'm off to Holles St today because we think we might need help.

I don't know if my problems are directly related to the pill but I don't think I'd have started on it if I'd known how screwy my cycles would be coming off it when I want to be back to normal.

Hi Lazygal - please report back with how your app went with Holles. 80 days is very long to wait! It's so frustrating.
    I want a crystal ball! Why do we have to wait a year until you can just be tested to let you know there will be problems - or even to test to say "you are fine - you need to give it to x months" - instead of trying for a year and then to be told there this X and Y wrong with you ..... (my Doc said they will only start investigating after 1yr of unsuccessful)

As Irishgal says - Babydust to us all!

I agree that you shouldnt have to wait a year before they tell you if something is wrong-thats a year of wasted time! Maybe a little white lie to your doc that you've been trying for longer than you actually are might help if you are that worried?

I know if nothing happens for me within 7 or 8 months ill be getting it checked out-and just tell the doc ive been trying for a year-what he doesnt know wont hurt him!! Hopefully it wont come to that though as i just know this month will be my month!! (Positive thinking-it cant do any harm!! LOL) :)

I will probably go to the Doc before a year exactly but even the fact we have to wait that long is awful!

It's such a stressful time this TTC lark...

anyhow - babydust to everyone!

VictoriaC wrote: »
    Hi Lazygal - please report back with how your app went with Holles. 80 days is very long to wait! It's so frustrating.
    I want a crystal ball! Why do we have to wait a year until you can just be tested to let you know there will be problems - or even to test to say "you are fine - you need to give it to x months" - instead of trying for a year and then to be told there this X and Y wrong with you ..... (my Doc said they will only start investigating after 1yr of unsuccessful)

As Irishgal says - Babydust to us all!

Got the shock of my life in Holles St to be told I'm up the duff!!

I reckon I'm about five/six weeks along, they have est due date a lot earlier and me at 12 weeks, but as I have long cycles and had two negative tests in mid Sept they think I'm a lot earlier.

Really really shocked, I think what did the trick was we were at it like rabbits for a week when on hols, at least twice a day. It's the only thing I can think of as I never got positive OPKs so I haven't a clue when I ovulated.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    Got the shock of my life in Holles St to be told I'm up the duff!!

I reckon I'm about five/six weeks along, they have est due date a lot earlier and me at 12 weeks, but as I have long cycles and had two negative tests in mid Sept they think I'm a lot earlier.

Really really shocked, I think what did the trick was we were at it like rabbits for a week when on hols, at least twice a day. It's the only thing I can think of as I never got positive OPKs so I haven't a clue when I ovulated.

Wow I bet you weren't expecting that at all. Big congratulations to you and your OH! Big difference between 5/6 wks and 12 wks. Hopefully at your scan it can be dated properly. You must be so excited!

Advertisement