Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mutilated baggage from aer lingus

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I recently returned from a flight with aer lingus...i was left waiting on my baggage for an extremly long time,.....then when the baggage finally started coming out.....and i got my bag it was torn to pieces and metal bars in the frame and telescopic handle broken in several place....iron bent and scratched......nobody came up to explain and there was nobody at any info or customer service desk..i had to big up a automatic phone which got me through to a man who told me to ring aer lingus the following morning.

I phoned them and they knew nothing.....they simply directed me to go get it replaced free of charge in a store in the city centre...........no apologies....or anything........

I dont really know if i should or could make any sort of formal complaint......but thought id just share my experience of flying with our national airline:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok they should have apologised alight but they have offered a free of charge replacement which is a reasonable outcome.

Other then the lack of apology there isn't a massive issue here and not much else will likely happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's no longer our national airline. It's an alternative to the R word.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You're getting a free replacement, not too bad.

Wish I had thought of ringing up to complain the day I was in Dublin Airport waiting for my luggage and feeling sorry for the person with the burst bag whose knickers were slowly coming towards me on the belt. The person who turned out to be me. :o

I think what you got was fair enough, an apology would be courteous alright but I'd let it slide personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Luggage gets thrown around all over the place, and sometimes it will break. It's not like it's wrapped in cotton wool and transported on pillows. Aer Lingus have offered you a replacement which is a pretty satisfactory outcome as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I'm surprised that they offered to replace your luggage. The standard line is that your bag is there to protect the contents. That's it purposed. It's pretty obvious how bags can get damaged - fall of a vehicle, get caught on the mechanics of baggage handling equipment. All of these are the risks involved in giving them your luggage and why you protect your goods in your luggage.

I wouldn't expect AL to apologise or explain what happened. The offer to replace the bag is more than an adequate response.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

well...
    its pretty obvious it fell off the cart and was run over.......how they just think sending it up like that is ok...........i paid for the safe transportation of my goods......if i sent post and the envelope was ripped open...i could have the guilty party jailed for 4 years............

and...well..tbh i dont really care........but this was a very expensive case...and part of a set.....they wer specifically bought because of their aer lingus green colour (ironic i know) .......i seriously doubt ill get a similar back...in terms of appearance...quality...or value......

and have i mentioned..they were brand new and this was the first use of them....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

denballs wrote: »
    if i sent post and the envelope was ripped open...i could have the guilty party jailed for 4 years............

Eh? Mail fraud, accidental damage to items in the post, and what happened to your case, are three completely different things. Why not equate the damage to your luggage to murder, or terrorism?
    i seriously doubt ill get a similar back...in terms of appearance...quality...or value......
    denballs wrote:
    they simply directed me to go get it replaced free of charge in a store in the city centre

If you fail to pick out a case of similar quality, value and appearance, then that would be your own fault, right? Aer Lingus have told you to go and get it replaced, and they will pay for it.

Apart from needing to rant about something that has been resolved, what exactly is the issue here? Accidents happen, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I personally would be delighted with that outcome. A new suitcase, happy days.

jor el wrote: »
    Eh? Mail fraud, accidental damage to items in the post, and what happened to your case, are three completely different things. Why not equate the damage to your luggage to murder, or terrorism?

If you fail to pick out a case of similar quality, value and appearance, then that would be your own fault, right? Aer Lingus have told you to go and get it replaced, and they will pay for it.

Apart from needing to rant about something that has been resolved, what exactly is the issue here? Accidents happen, get over it.

perhaps...my comparison....was a little off-case...but it makes the point i wanted to make...of me entrusting my personal belongings to a reputeable company to transport.......do you think i should expect my cases to be destroyed?

my failing to pick out a standard matching case is not the issue...they are sending me to some luggage shop that i have never heard of.....they arent saying......here,s 100 euro ...go buy a case ...........

Apart from needing to aggravate me for your own sadistic pleasure .....what exactly is your issue here.........this is not...a place for you to troll this is a place for me to share a story....that ....is similar to many you would see in high selling newspapers and magazines..and gain the knowledge ..that such things like this happen from our airlines.

........i really have not had an issue with the replaceing of the bag itself..it is more with the fact ..that..they have to have noticed the damage and simply sent it up...without so much as a note of apology.

I personally would be delighted with that outcome. A new suitcase, happy days.

the case was new...i spent ages going to various shops to find one i liked..and this one was by far the best.....i didnt see it or anything similar in another store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Is Aer Lingus even liable in this case? Wouldn't the airport authority/baggage handlers be responsible?

Take the replacement suitcase and run! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

the case was new...i spent ages going to various shops to find one i liked..and this one was by far the best.....i didnt see it or anything similar in another store.

If it's new, furnish them with a copy of the receipt, say you want an exact replacement or will take it to the small claims court.

By the way, you keep referring to the airline. Aer lingus use baggage handling companies so technically they are who you need to vent your frustration at. I know a few of the common ones are Service Air or Skyhandlers. You need to find out from Aer lingus who they had contracted out to handle the baggage on your particular flight rather than venting over "The National Airline"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fernandowho

LittleBook wrote: »
    Is Aer Lingus even liable in this case? Wouldn't the airport authority/baggage handlers be responsible?

Take the replacement suitcase and run! :)

AL are the baggage handling company for AL in Dublin. Mate of mine works for them and without libelling anyone he reckons the way that bags get treated, dragged, run over, stuck in machinery that it's surprising there is not more complaints but that they never dispute them...

In the US the TSA have been known to destroy anything suspect or even locked and there is no come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

do you think i should expect my cases to be destroyed?

What a ridiculous question. Of course not. But do you expect that accidents will never happen? You seem to be expecting miracles here, instead of just accepting that Aer Lingus are going to replace the damaged suitcase. That's as much as you can expect in the circumstances.
    Apart from needing to aggravate me for your own sadistic pleasure .....what exactly is your issue here.........

My issue is with your failure to recognise that they've done all they can, and with your over-exaggeration to make it seem more serious than it really is. Either your situation can stand on it's own merit, or it cannot. Also the full stops all over the place. What's the story with that? It's incredibly irritating to read.
    this is not...a place for you to troll this is a place for me to share a story....that ....is similar to many you would see in high selling newspapers and magazines..and gain the knowledge ..that such things like this happen from our airlines.

Stories in newspapers and magazines? This is a place to discuss consumer issues, not a place for you to vent some personal grievance. Since Aer Lingus have acknowledged the damage, and told you to get it replaced at their cost, I fail to see how there is any issue here. Damage to a suit case is not a consumer issue, only if they fail to rectify it does it become an issue.
    denballs wrote:
    i spent ages going to various shops to find one i liked..and this one was by far the best.

Then buy the same one again, and claim the cost from Aer Lingus.

i wrote a rather large message ...but...ive deleted it....you dont deserve a reply.......

theres no point ....as your obviosly very simple minded and dont even read what i write.......

im not gonna debate a matter with you if you either cannot seem to notice or choose to ignore key points

poasters Please remain courteous and civil.

denballs - what you have to do here is take the emotion out of it. You put time and effort into picking a special set of luggage. You even got a certain colour. But that doesn't matter a flip in this situation. You made that extra effort. What you have to look at are the efforts that Aer Lingus have made to deal with the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

perhaps...my comparison....was a little off-case...but it makes the point i wanted to make...of me entrusting my personal belongings to a reputeable company to transport.......do you think i should expect my cases to be destroyed?

Were any of your belongings damaged? The purpose of your luggage is to carry and protect your belongings. It's realistic to expect your luggage to get damaged in transit.

All the airline won't pay for minor damage, scuffs or dents. If the bag is destroyed all they're liable for is the replacement of the bag. They've offered the replacement bag so that's fair enough. S**t happens as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, Its a bit off topic, but do they also cover if the bag does open?

Replacement bags would be great but it would be good to know if they'd also replace the contents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

denballs in fairness to jor el neither himself or anybody else for that matter has ignored what you refer to as "key points".

The case was damaged, the case is designed to protect its belongings in transit, Aer Lingus have offered a replacement.

Aer Lingus have not failed to address your complaint here, they have provided a reasonable resolution.

However it appears either you want some sort of revenge (perhaps) on them for what happen or you have too much emotion involved in what is in the larger scale of things a small and now in the view of the majority a resolved issue.

Of course if you believe you are correct and deserve more then attempt to claim more from them, if you want to go all out bring them to small claims court.

However I'd imagine any third party including that of the small claims court will view Aer Lingus's response as fair, reasonable and proportionate in respect of the damage to your case that occurred.

Cabaal wrote: »
    denballs in fairness to jor el neither himself or anybody else for that matter has ignored what you refer to as "key points".

The case was damaged, the case is designed to protect its belongings in transit, Aer Lingus have offered a replacement.

Aer Lingus have not failed to address your complaint here, they have provided a reasonable resolution.

However it appears either you want some sort of revenge (perhaps) on them for what happen or you have too much emotion involved in what is in the larger scale of things a small and now in the view of the majority a resolved issue.

Of course if you believe you are correct and deserve more then attempt to claim more from them, if you want to go all out bring them to small claims court.

However I'd imagine any third party including that of the small claims court will view Aer Lingus's response as fair, reasonable and proportionate in respect of the damage to your case that occurred.

he has ignored...key points.....for example....... i have stated many times that thecase was fairly rare and i only saw it in 1 store......and that aer lingus is allowing me to pick a case from a specific store that they work with........he has rhetorically asked me why i dont buy the same case that was destroyed and charge it to aer lingus.

as for people thinking ...i want more......well i dont.....to be honest i barely even care about the case.....i just thought ......id share a story of how much damage can be done when flying with aer lingus/dublin airport and how they deal with the issue......others seem to either ....want to pick at things i say.....or simply are idiots..............

either way....the thread has served its purpose and i request it be closed to stop troublemakers ruining it further.

• Advertisement

he has ignored...key points.....for example....... i have stated many times that thecase was fairly rare and i only saw it in 1 store......and that aer lingus is allowing me to pick a case from a specific store that they work with........he has rhetorically asked me why i dont buy the same case that was destroyed and charge it to aer lingus.

Aer Lingus response was appropriate and pretty fair, jor el's suggestion was perfectly reasonable given you clearly had an issue about nothing being able to get a matching bag so he merely suggested you could attempt to buy a bag and then charge Aer Lingus.

If your unhappy with what Aer Lingus have proposed and you continue to complain and ignore a perfectly valid resolution to your issue by claiming a key issue has been ignored why exactly did you even waste your time posting in the first place?
    as for people thinking ...i want more......well i dont.....to be honest i barely even care about the case

Its clearly evident your not going to take any other action so why complain when people suggest something to help you?

Clearly nothing has been ignored you just don't want to be helped.
    .id share a story of how much damage can be done when flying with aer lingus/dublin airport

Anybody that has ever travelled on a plane with any airline is already aware of the potential damages that can occur to your bags, this is certainly not something specific to Dublin or Aer Lingus
    and how they deal with the issue

They dealt with it extremely reasonable, you however appear to be pretty unreasonable
    ......others seem to either ....want to pick at things i say.....or simply are idiots..............

...and your acting pretty childish now
    either way....the thread has served its purpose and i request it be closed to stop troublemakers ruining it further.

Again pretty childish tbh,
    The thread didn't go your way so now you want to throw the toys out of the pram? Good man.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

.....for example....... i have stated many times that thecase was fairly rare and i only saw it in 1 store......and that aer lingus is allowing me to pick a case from a specific store that they work with

Have you even gone to the store that AerLingus told you to and asked can they source the bag for you?

Once you have the part number or even a pic/link they should be able to get it in for you. If not then you'll have a better case if you do end up buying it yourself and need to use the SCC.

OK - enough here. Thread closed as per the OPs request.

OP - as a point of information, it really helps if you post in sentences with correct grammar and punctuation. People will understand you more easily when you make such an effort.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement