Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4 or HTC Desire s

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi i am considering buying one of the above phones and was woundering if anyone can explain the difference between Apple and Android. Is one better than the other??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Nothing comes close to the iPhone - it's the original and best smartphone (everything before it was junk and competitors haven't quite caught up yet).

That said I'd wait for the iPhone 5 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ignore the post above.

It all depends on how you plan to use your phone and what exactly you need/want it for, each platform has its own strengths and weaknesses, but TBH if you need to ask, the iPhone is probably the best choice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

ok .... firstly the iPhone 5 should be here in a month or two (or three maybe) - are you willing to wait ?

but then again the iphone 6 should be here in about 12months after that.

I curently own a HTC desire (the girlfriend has an Iphone3GS) - from a basic viewpoint the iphone is lovely looking and easy to navigate, the HTC is also sleek in design.

both iphone 4 and htc desire have crap cameras - quality is not what you could get from the nokia's a few years ago.

if you have not had a smartphone or used an apple product then no matter which one you choose you will get used to it fairly fast - functionality is fairly similar.

I have had a number of problems with my HTC - purchased dec 31 2010 - by mid February it was returned because it was not charging and overheating (this means it is gone for approx 3 weeks) .... and again sent off 18 July returned to me last week (the outside started blistering up - possibly overheating - I dont know and HTC didnt give me a reason for it)

At the moment I also have problems with accessing https websites (secure websites - crashes the internet on my HTC) ... I have been told that a system/factory reset (temporarily) solves the solution - but that means wiping my phone every couple of weeks - so I have learned to just deal with it.

o2 have told me that its a common enough issue and most people just use apps instead of using the browser - again ... something I'm not really happy with considering the terms/conditions of some apps.

anyway - battery life on both (depending on usage) - you will be lucky to get a full day.

Hope that helps - have a google for problems with either phone and do your research before purchasing - find out if you really need or just want a smartphone.

I know my contract is up end of december and I'm thinking of going back to an old school phone.

Ignore the post above.

It all depends on how you plan to use your phone and what exactly you need/want it for, each platform has its own strengths and weaknesses, but TBH if you need to ask, the iPhone is probably the best choice for you.

The iPhone 4 is the best phone available.

HTC is utter garbage. My father went down the HTC route and boy did he regret it. Can't even begin to list the problems he had but most recently his phone is repeatedly emailing everything he sends over and over until it wipes out the recipients storage.

I had my gmail account closed because of his HTC malfunction so ignore my posts if you don't want the truth.

The iPhone 4 is the best phone available.

It's not as simple as that. You didn't even ask about what features are important, you just blindly replied with the very dull and standard 'iphone is best' response.

• Advertisement

It's not as simple as that. You didn't even ask about what features are important, you just blindly replied with the very dull and standard 'iphone is best' response.

It is the best and I've explained why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

FYP.
    Anyway, HTC Desire S. Its more affordable, takes 1080p recordings, has much more freedom of use. I had the iphone 3gsnow i have a Desire S. Desire S uses Sense UI which is waay more convienient than iOS and can do much more (proper customization for one). You can also download alternative appsto replace native ones on Androids, so if you dont like the music app, theres plenty more to choose from, iPhone on the other hand, you're stuck using something you dont like and can just about make minimal changes to apps.
    Desire S is where it's at.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I curently own a HTC desire (the girlfriend has an Iphone3GS)
    Desire or Desire S?

MarkD09 wrote: »
    FYP.
    I couldn't afford the best so I'm justifying my cheap choice

FYP

HTC have done a reasonable job at approximating the original phone innovations from Apple. But the workmanship is not up to par.

The apps and features on the iPhone 4 are unmatched in quality and quantity.

HTC is good for tech curious but it is not superior. It has many issues and people only praise them because they offer an alternative.

It is the best and I've explained why.

How can you decide which is best without asking what the requirements are? All you've done is point out is which is best for you. We get it.

• Advertisement

How can you decide which is best without asking what the requirements are? All you've done is point out is which is best for you. We get it.

I pointed out that HTC phones are faulty products. I think anyone would want their phone to work as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Desire or Desire S?

Desire (no "s") ....I asked for the latest version on 31 December 2010 and this was what I got !!

Its reception is better than the girlfriends iphone - but I would choose an iphone because it "appears" to have less problems - like I've mentioned earlier I have had problems with my HTC ...twice in 7months....never so much as an apology from them.

Its possible they have figured out all the bugs - but I'm probably not willing to give them another chance.

FYP

HTC have done a reasonable job at approximating the original phone innovations from Apple. But the workmanship is not up to par.

The apps and features on the iPhone 4 are unmatched in quality and quantity.

HTC is good for tech curious but it is not superior. It has many issues and people only praise them because they offer an alternative.

HTC's are quality, they have picked up in recent years by a mile. And the price thing? iPhones could be alot less, you just pay for the apple logo.
    If iPhones quality was so up to par they wouldn't of ever had the 'death grip'.
    OP, thats another thing to look at, hold your iPhone in a particular way and you loose signal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

I pointed out that HTC phones are faulty products. I think anyone would want their phone to work as advertised.

I would imagine Iphones have faults too.

I think the key question here is do you want to compare the product specification and preformance look and feel rather that the minority who have experienced issues with either a HTC OR an Iphone

FYI i have had both so no favouritism.

HTC's are quality, they have picked up in recent years by a mile. And the price thing? iPhones could be alot less, you just pay for the apple logo.
    OP, thats another thing to look at, hold your iPhone in a particular way and you loose signal :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was perfect. I said it was the best available.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Desire (no "s") ....I asked for the latest version on 31 December 2010 and this was what I got !!

Its reception is better than the girlfriends iphone - but I would choose an iphone because it "appears" to have less problems - like I've mentioned earlier I have had problems with my HTC ...twice in 7months....never so much as an apology from them.

Its possible they have figured out all the bugs - but I'm probably not willing to give them another chance.

Ah yeah, i don't think Desire S was released at that stage..
    Well my Desire S has had no problems so far ;)

You pointed out one faulty HTC phone, or maybe it was the owner... Inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I have a Desire HD and am more than delighted with it. Got it in November 2010 from Meteor.

@PCPhoto, the trouble with accessing the https sites is usually down to the carrier. My dad with a HTC Desire is on O2 and has had trouble connecting to PTSB's Open24 site before. My Desire HD on Meteor runs fine with it.

I'd recommend the Desire S for the OP. Build quality is top notch, very customisable software, cheaper than iPhone, essentially the same apps (if not the same then the same functionality) as iPhone. Even some apps which you pay for on iPhone are free on Android e.g. Angry Birds.

Cheaper contracts too. Meteor have a €45 euro plan for the iPhone that gives you 200 minutes, 200 texts and 5GB of data. 5 is a bit overkill unless you are a heavy user on the move.

I am paying €25 a month (friend works there) for 400 texts 400 minutes and 2GB of data. I have rarely gone over 1GB of my allowance. I mainly use the WiFi at home and in college.

The fact that Android has Adobe Flash built in is also a major point in Androids favour. Channel4.com and the RTE player work perfectly on my phone. BBC iPlayer can be accessed using SkyFire web browser as well but doesn't work sometimes.

I don't think the iPhone is worth the premium when HTC and other Android phone manufacturers can offer the same functionality with more customisation abillity for a cheaper price.

Just my 2 hundredths of a euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Made of mine bought the HTC around the same time i bought an IP4. I was sceptical about the Iphone but have to say it is awesome. My mates HTC is crap. Just yesterday it started vibrating for no reason and he could not turn it off. Also the fact that all apps and websites are generally programmed or designed for the Iphone is advantageous for the Iphone. Services like cafes offering free chargers for iphones is useful too if an example of how ubiquitous they have become. Also on my friends phone it takes ages to access the net (could be provider?) but i find internet access to be a doddle on the iphone using several providers. One of the downsides of the iphone is not being able to acess flash.

• Advertisement

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Made of mine bought the HTC around the same time i bought an IP4. I was sceptical about the Iphone but have to say it is awesome. My mates HTC is crap. Just yesterday it started vibrating for no reason and he could not turn it off. Also the fact that all apps and websites are generally programmed or designed for the Iphone is advantageous for the Iphone. Services like cafes offering free chargers for iphones is useful too if an example of how ubiquitous they have become. Also on my friends phone it takes ages to access the net (could be provider?) but i find internet access to be a doddle on the iphone using several providers. One of the downsides of the iphone is not being able to acess flash.

What do you mean there? Look at touch.boards.ie. Looks exactly the same on Android as on iPhone. Also, my phone charges with a microUSB cable. I can use any USB port to charge my phone. How ubiquitous can one get?

OP if you want some smartphone features but don't want to shell out for top of the range model, at least with Android there is a choice of high-end, mid-range and low-end with suitable prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Nothing comes close to the iPhone - it's the original and best smartphone (everything before it was junk and competitors haven't quite caught up yet).

That said I'd wait for the iPhone 5 at this stage.

Im no expert on what is the best smartphone available so i usually read sites like techradar and they all say the best phone available today is the Samsung Galaxy 2.

I have had both iphone and HTC Desire. iphone would freeze now and again that was only problem i had with it. Never had a problem with desire. have nexus s now and no issues either. I prefer android as there is more freedom with it.

racer1 wrote: »
    Im no expert on what is the best smartphone available so i usually read sites like techradar and they all say the best phone available today is the Samsung Galaxy 2.

I have had both iphone and HTC Desire. iphone would freeze now and again that was only problem i had with it. Never had a problem with desire. have nexus s now and no issues either. I prefer android as there is more freedom with it.

Galaxy S2 is a nice phone. Gorgeous screen. Not a fan of how light and plasticy it is though. I prefer the all aluminium of my DHD.

Another reason for Android ;-). If you don't like the build quality, you can get another similarly specced phone that will run all the apps in the world, with better build quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I pointed out that HTC phones are faulty products.
    I must be using my HTC wrong then because I have never had any malfunctions, OS crashes or lock-up's in my few months of being a HTC user.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

One suggestion from me is to make sure that you definitely want a touchscreen-only phone before you buy. The Meteor shops will have an Iphone and HTC with the internet connected, so you really should go into the shop and try typing messages, browsing and filling out forms on the browser. I had an Android-based touchscreen phone and tried an IPhone and hated both. I then tried a HTC ChaCha (has a touchscreen and full keyboard) that I love using.

There is no right or wrong phone to buy. Each person will have a preference, so don't allow anyone to tell you which phone you should, or should not buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Thanks for all the replys. does anyone know if you can live streem video like golf and soccer matches on both or would you be limited with apple. ive heard from two people one with iphone4 and one with HTC that the HTC could watch a video on Today FM but the iphone couldnt,is this beacause of apples software that yee say your very restricted??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Im using the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the iPhone at the moment. I have to say I way way rather the Galaxy to the iphone. Theres more freedom to do what you want on it. Its sfraight forward and easy to use. This has never once frozen and im using the Galaxy to post this comment and the layout is perfect on touch.boards.ie I have the iphone because im depairing it for.someone, to me it feels horrible, feels cheap, almost like a knock off. I know people find the galaxy very light and plastic but the iphone doesnt feel right to me. The coverage is CONSTANTLY dropping on the iPhone, no im not imagining it, its cruel! The battery on my iphones before only lasted a day but I cant comment on this one seen as I cant use it properly because its always searching. To me, I rather Android because it lets you do more. Yes the apps arent as widespread as iphone but before long Android will have passed Apple out. Finally, someone mentioned chargers in cafes, ive never been able to get one but have heard of people finding places but majority of the newer phonds now have micro USB charger connections so a charger will be easier to get your hands on as all connections are set to be universal.

All this aside it is hard to tell you what to get unless you can tell us what your requirements are

fiestaman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replys. does anyone know if you can live streem video like golf and soccer matches on both or would you be limited with apple. ive heard from two people one with iphone4 and one with HTC that the HTC could watch a video on Today FM but the iphone couldnt,is this beacause of apples software that yee say your very restricted??

Major sites cater for iPhone. Apps like ustream cover many live streaming events.

For flash video you have skyfire.

People who say the iPhone 4 feels cheap are full of crap.

Remember it's always hard to find video streams for some sporting events regardless of the mobile you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

People who say the iPhone 4 feels cheap are full of crap.

I am not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I thought it felt cheap which I was very surprised at, I thought the iPhone 3GS felt more expensive lets say. Again its just a matter of ones own opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Well id like it for paddypower gaming and streaming live golf from pga tour & youtube videos which i can do on my laptop. also emails and general browsing.

Advertisement