Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4 or HTC Desire s

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I am not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I thought it felt cheap which I was very surprised at, I thought the iPhone 3GS felt more expensive lets say. Again its just a matter of ones own opinion

This the problem with boards posters. They do not reflect general consensus.

I suggest the OP ignores the majority of comments in this thread. If you actually want to get a niche techy product with PC-like specifications then by all means get an android. If you are the type of person who appreciates or has ever used Linux for example.

If you are a normal human being with regular sensibilities and typical needs then get an iPhone 4. Oh and try out any android phone and then an iPhone 4 and tell me which feels like a quality product.

fiestaman wrote: »
    Well id like it for paddypower gaming and streaming live golf from pga tour & youtube videos which i can do on my laptop. also emails and general browsing.

YouTube on iPhone 4 is awesome.
    Emails and browsing are seamless/smooth and better than any other device.

I don't know what sites do golf.

Paddy power app:

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/paddy-power/id382030091?mt=8

And before anyone starts complaining here is why email and browsing are better on iPhone:

Email - a donkey could set it up in less that 20 seconds
    Browsing - the refresh rate, render times, multi touch make browsing on a mobile actually work. Again, before apple this was not possible. Other makers are getting close but the performance and ease of experience is not quite there.

I've tried all the other phones - I work in a company with loads of geeks who have the absolute latest and greatest. In some cases it's a close call. I'd again advise the op to wait a couple of weeks as the iPhone 5 is expected to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Email is set up equally fast on any smartphone. I don't see how Apple innovation makes it faster. It's down to how fast the person types in their username and password. :confused:

YouTube is pretty much awesome on any smartphone with a screen greater than 3.8 inches, not exclusive to iPhone 4.

Render times isn't something to bandy about as a benchmark when it's dependent on so many other things e.g. network coverage, Flash content on the page etc... Apple also didn't invent or innovate multitouch. A company called FingerWorks invented it back in the late 90's. Apple bought it out in 2005 and then claimed that themselves had invented it.

What's the point of a discussion on what phone to get when there are people essentially telling the OP to go with the general consensus?

I think Apps have a bearing too. OP, what type of Apps are you interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I suggest the OP ignores the majority of comments in this thread.

Ah, we agree on something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is the general feeling that the iphone 4 has a **** camera? Has the iphone 3 got a good camera? How did they manage to **** that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

And before anyone starts complaining here is why email and browsing are better on iPhone:

Email - a donkey could set it up in less that 20 seconds
    Browsing - the refresh rate, render times, multi touch make browsing on a mobile actually work. Again, before apple this was not possible. Other makers are getting close but the performance and ease of experience is not quite there.

I've tried all the other phones - I work in a company with loads of geeks who have the absolute latest and greatest. In some cases it's a close call. I'd again advise the op to wait a couple of weeks as the iPhone 5 is expected to be announced.

Being a original Desire owner from the fIrst day of its release I can honestly say Iv had zero problems with it. Setting up emails, contacts and every thing else connected with my google account took nothing more than signing in with my google info once during a very easy setup process.

HTC's build quality is up there with Apples and unlike the iphone phone my Desire never suffered from major design issues like not being able to make phone calls :cool:

The iphone 4 was a lackluster product when released and over a year its a very dated piece of kit compared to phone back then never mind the dual core monsters available now.

HTC is utter garbage. My father went down the HTC route and boy did he regret it. Can't even begin to list the problems he had but most recently his phone is repeatedly emailing everything he sends over and over until it wipes out the recipients storage.

I had my gmail account closed because of his HTC malfunction so ignore my posts if you don't want the truth.

I have a HTC Desire for 12 months now, not one single issue or problem with it. I wouldn't buy an I phone as I'd feel like a knob end with one.

Got some junk mail in the post today from Sky tv.

They have a picture of Live US PGA Golf Tour running on a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad. Apparently you can watch it free if you have Sky.

No mention of other devices.

Android app for that is coming soon. I was watching France v Ireland at the weekend on my Desire HD as I was away from home. Excellent quality from some random stream.

I've not had one problem with my phone either. Dropped it a few times, not even a scratch on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

@yawnstretch....apple this, iphone that, a lot of the internals on iphone are made by Samsung, so Apple are not the bees knees you make them out to be. They are not the exclusive phone they used to be, or as Apple want them to be, but in saying that it is a good phone. I am tossed between getting an iphone and a Samsung GalaxyS2, and when I enquired about both, I was immediately told "iphone", but when I mentioned what I was looking for in a phone, I was told, the Galaxy would be more suited to my needs, and I quote "it's a far superior phone", The iphone is pushed onto people who don't really know what they are looking for in a smartphone, as it is simple and easy to use and has stable apps. Granted Android apps can be hit and miss depending on your phone, but there is scope on Android systems to do a whole lot more than the rigidity of what Apple want you to do with an iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I happen to own both the iPhone 4, and the HTC Sensation. I've also owned the iPhone 3GS. Previous iPhones weren't worth owning in my opinion. Here are my thoughts:
    The 3GS was a quality phone. Built well, looked well, nice to use, decent processor at the time. Android was still in its infancy, so it's probably fair to say it was the best phone available at the time. I didn't have many issues with my 3GS, reception wasn't great on it and battery life wasn't great either, nor was the camera spectacular, but aside from that it was fairly reliable, only giving one or two small issues after a year.
    The iPhone 4 - I'm on my second one and it also has some issues. Both had the death grip issue, but thats just a case of get used to it. Now I have a flaw on the screen which is small, but annoying, and sometimes the touch screen decides it doesn't want to respond. The first one was sent back to Apple twice and returned to me twice with no resolution, a phone call to a supervisor meant that the third time I was sent a new one. The microphone was the issue with that one, people couldn't hear me. Also the touch screen wasn't perfect, particularly in the corners of the screen, an issue which didn't exist on the 3GS.
    We have many iPhone 4's at work here, and I'd say well over half of them have been replaced under warranty. No apology from Apple, no more than the HTC complainer earlier didn't receive an apology from HTC. I don't think many companies issue apologies!
    The good stuff with the iPhone 4:
    The screen is excellent, retina display really is more than marketing bull. The iOS ease of use really is top notch. Even though it is much less powerful than many top end Android offerings, it doesn't feel it as the Apps and OS are designed to be optomised for the hardware. That's one big plus with Apple, only one piece of hardware to design an App for, if it works on that it'll work on all of them. That means that typically the Apps will work well. (certainly not always though). The camera quality is fine, good for a phone, but I always state that if you want to take pics use a proper camera.
    The HTC:
    So far flawless. Having had it a good few weeks now I would prefer it to the iPhone 4 by a good margin. Android certainly isn't as polished as iOS, but it's still very good and very customisable. Flash is a massive bonus, it's very restrictive not having it on the iOS devices. Apps - most of them are available on both, and most look identical on both, some are much better on the Android, others are better on the iOS. Depends on the App. By and large there are more useful free Apps available for Android.
    Major other benefits are things like sending a picture or App from my phone to another. Simple. Not like Apple, impossible for Apps and have to waste MMS or data to e-mail photos. Bluetooth on the Apple is useless, won't talk to any other device only an accessory.
    One key problem for Android is that the Apps can't really be tested and designed to be flawless on all the various makes, models and specs of phones out there, so some Apps do suffer as a result.
    Key problems for Apple include: iTunes - it sucks, why must I use it and why must I provide credit card details?, bluetooth - almost useless unless you have a car kit, Flash - doesn't do it (try paying the M50 toll for example!), and fanboys - they're annoying.

By and large Apple have done a fantastic job in changing the mobile phone game. They also do have a great philosophy in that you do it our way and our way only and we'll guarantee it'll work. That does work, so if you don't mind the limitations, then by all means go with the slick iPhone.
    If you want more customisation, more hardware choices, wider App variety, flash support and a sense of "it's my device, I'll use it as I please" - go with Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

xz wrote: »
    I was told, the Galaxy would be more suited to my needs, and I quote "it's a far superior phone", The iphone is pushed onto people who don't really know what they are looking for in a smartphone, as it is simple and easy to use and has stable apps.

I used to work in a mobile phone retailler. I would generally recommend the iOS device over the android equivalent, for the average customer. People want their phone to be stable, have easy access to the internet, they want it to work right out of the box. That is most, but by no means all. So for many, many average customers iPhone is a sensible choice that is more than capable of doing what they want and need.

I have had the Desire - which I did not rate at all. I returned three handsets to HTC, all of which overheated and crashed. I am now using the Galaxy S II - no doubt a good handset, but it dosent do much for me. Time and time again I go back to the iPhone, for me internet, e-mail, calendar and apps are the killer features. Browsing is better on the iPhone, despite the smaller screen, e-mails are far easier to manage on the iPhone, as are calendars. The iOS AppStore speaks for itself. So for me iOS is a clear winner, but thats an individual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

bd250110 wrote: »
    I used to work in a mobile phone retailler. I would generally recommend the iOS device over the android equivalent, for the average customer. People want their phone to be stable, have easy access to the internet, they want it to work right out of the box. That is most, but by no means all. So for many, many average customers iPhone is a sensible choice that is more than capable of doing what they want and need.

I have had the Desire - which I did not rate at all. I returned three handsets to HTC, all of which overheated and crashed. I am now using the Galaxy S II - no doubt a good handset, but it dosent do much for me. Time and time again I go back to the iPhone, for me internet, e-mail, calendar and apps are the killer features. Browsing is better on the iPhone, despite the smaller screen, e-mails are far easier to manage on the iPhone, as are calendars. The iOS AppStore speaks for itself. So for me iOS is a clear winner, but thats an individual thing.
    I have to intervene here.... Calendars? The iPhone is the worst phone of all time for that! How many times have alarms and calendar reminders failed on the iPhone? Alarms don't even ring if the battery is dead or the phone is off! Phones from 15 years ago did that!!
    And you can't use an iPhone out of the box... not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Flash support is for video and stuff is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I have to intervene here.... Calendars? The iPhone is the worst phone of all time for that! How many times have alarms and calendar reminders failed on the iPhone? Alarms don't even ring if the battery is dead or the phone is off! Phones from 15 years ago did that!!
    And you can't use an iPhone out of the box... not yet anyway.

My point related to ease of use and clarity of display. Android is by no means bad, but for my mind Apple's layout makes more sense and is easier to see at a quick glance. Again - a personal thing.

Android Alarms and notifications dont work when the phone is powered down either, if you look on the board it is one of the biggest mentioned annoyances for users. There has been a bug with daylight saving time switching on the iPhone alright, Im not sure if that has been fixed, or not, just one bug though, not multiple. It was in the news multiple times over a month though.

At my retailer we activated the iPhone before the customer left the shop, so it did work "right out of the box" for many. Of course if the customer uses Google services already getting your data on an Android device is a case of a username and password, which is pretty slick.

fiestaman wrote: »
    Flash support is for video and stuff is it??

Yeah the majority of video on the internet is in Adobe Flash. Slowly changing in favour of more efficient and higher quality ways of showing them. That's a while away though.

The Czech Open was streamed by Flash yesterday. Handy watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have to agree; for the average or first time smartphone user the iPhone is probably the better option, it does what it says with little fuss and is very intuitive to use.
    I think other phones such as the Galaxy S2 are more suited to people that find some elements of the iPhone/iOS restrictive, and need the extra flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I have to agree; for the average or first time smartphone user the iPhone is probably the better option, it does what it says with little fuss and is very intuitive to use.
    I think other phones such as the Galaxy S2 are more suited to people that find some elements of the iPhone/iOS restrictive, and need the extra flexibility.

All this talk about "the average user" is a little bit outdated these days imho. Having used both IOS and HTC Sense Iv found both just as easy to use and would give HTC Sense the nod as being more user friendly due to its ability to have onscreen widgets for displaying information in an easier to see way.

What part of IOS are you folks finding so much easier to grasp over other mobile OS's?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you want a recommendation of a phone with a picture of an apple on the back then to get an iPhone would be the answer.

If you want a recommendation of a phone to meet some specific need then people need to say what that need and price range is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Yeah the majority of video on the internet is in Adobe Flash. Slowly changing in favour of more efficient and higher quality ways of showing them. That's a while away though.

The Czech Open was streamed by Flash yesterday. Handy watching it.

Thanks for that thats exactly what i wanted to hear. i enquired at phone shop today and the HTC is the way im going. thanks for all comments:D

Advertisement