Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19 weeks old - few questions

Options
  • 16-08-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All,

I have a few questions about my 19 week old baby boy's routine and would appreciate any advice! He was a big boy at birth - 8lbs 10ozs and is now approx 18/19lbs!

His routine looks like this -

6am wake up - play for an hour
    7am - 6oz bottle, sometimes leaves 2ozs
    8am - 10am - Back for a long nap
    10.30am - spoon feed - pureed veg/baby rice & pured fruit, 6oz bottle
    12-12.45 - nap
    2.30pm - 6oz bottle
    4 - 4.45 - nap
    5pm - 4oz bottle
    7.30pm - 6oz bottle & bed
    10.30pm - dream feed

He generally wakes maybe once/twice during the night for his soother & then generally come 6am is wide awake and full of fun - not hungry for bottle till 7am. Any comments on his sleeping/nap times? Should i try and have him sleeping later in the mornin/more shorter naps etc?

The little man started on spoon feeds 2 weeks ago and loves them. When should i consider moving to a second spoon feed and what time would this be at? Even though he is a big baby he never drinks more than 35ish ozs per day. I am worried that if i introduce another feed he will drop a bottle and miss some nutrients etc? Is this the case?

I am a first time mum and would appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I breastfeed so I give my son a feed before food as I'm going with the 'food is fun until 1' theory.

Could you give his bottle a little earlier in the morning and after naps? I give himself a feed at 6ish, up and play 6.30-7, breakfast an hour after he gets up and nap 30 mins after breakfast.

For lunch I give him food in between feeds and about 30 mins before his nap. For tea I just give him some Greek yoghurt or stewed fruit. I think it's trial and error really until you find what suits.

I don't really know about formula but my son has already dropped 1 or 2 daytime feeds. He has 5 feeds including the 4am one and I give him water in a cup with his food.

The naps look very good to me and if he's taking long naps it's because he needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

my little man is 1 now.......when he was 4 months he slept in till 8.30 and now he sleeps until 10-10.30 in the morning!!!!!!!!!

start your second spoon feed straight away , go to your supermarket or tesco and have a look for baby bedtime bananna cereal by Milupa. this can be used from 4 months up and up and is perfect before bed. if i were you i would give this spoon feed instead of his second last bottle, so he has this spoon feed and 1 bottle then in bed. and im almost certain that your little one will sleep much longer than 6 am for you :)

also dont worry about baby dropping nutrients, he is getting plenty from the bottles he is taking , also extra food will have extra nutrients, and the baby bedtime cereals are really nice and easy for your baby to eat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Sounds like you've got a good routine going.

There's no harm in introducing another spoon feed whenever you feel like it.

If you're worried about missing out on nutrients from the milk, then I've found that little ones often enjoy weetabix or porridge - mix in some hot milk with a bowl for an AM feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mitten31

I breastfeed so I give my son a feed before food as I'm going with the 'food is fun until 1' theory.

Could you give his bottle a little earlier in the morning and after naps? I give himself a feed at 6ish, up and play 6.30-7, breakfast an hour after he gets up and nap 30 mins after breakfast.

For lunch I give him food in between feeds and about 30 mins before his nap. For tea I just give him some Greek yoghurt or stewed fruit. I think it's trial and error really until you find what suits.

I don't really know about formula but my son has already dropped 1 or 2 daytime feeds. He has 5 feeds including the 4am one and I give him water in a cup with his food.

The naps look very good to me and if he's taking long naps it's because he needs them.

Thanks so much HowStrange. Do you mind me asking how old your Little one? Just wondering as he is on 3 meals and am wondering if i should be doing likewise? When can yogurts be introduced, after 6 months?

I tried giving him the bottle earlier in the morning but he is just not hungry until closer to 7, he's awake and full of beans but no interest in food until then.

Thanks a milion for your post!

my little man is 1 now.......when he was 4 months he slept in till 8.30 and now he sleeps until 10-10.30 in the morning!!!!!!!!!

start your second spoon feed straight away , go to your supermarket or tesco and have a look for baby bedtime bananna cereal by Milupa. this can be used from 4 months up and up and is perfect before bed. if i were you i would give this spoon feed instead of his second last bottle, so he has this spoon feed and 1 bottle then in bed. and im almost certain that your little one will sleep much longer than 6 am for you :)

also dont worry about baby dropping nutrients, he is getting plenty from the bottles he is taking , also extra food will have extra nutrients, and the baby bedtime cereals are really nice and easy for your baby to eat :)

Thanks somegirl 2009. I actually had a sample of the banana bedtime cereal in my press so gave the little man a small bowl at 6, he had his bottle as normal at 7.30 & then bed. He only took 4ozs of this bottle and then nearly finished his dream feed at 11. He slept like a log until 5.20 & has been awake ever since. I spent the guts of an hour trying to get him back to sleep but he was having none of it. I know the earlier waking time is not the worst in the world but i am worried that if he stops taking his longer nap in the morning we will both be wrecked!!
    DM addict wrote: »
    Sounds like you've got a good routine going.

There's no harm in introducing another spoon feed whenever you feel like it.

If you're worried about missing out on nutrients from the milk, then I've found that little ones often enjoy weetabix or porridge - mix in some hot milk with a bowl for an AM feed!

Thanks DM addict. As above i introduced the second spoon fee yesterday at 6pm.

I guess i will struggle on and hope for a few later mornings. I am pretty pleased with the routine but have to admit the early starts are a killer. Am not expecting him to sleep till 8/9 but 7 would be nice!

He has changed his nap routine in the last couple of weeks - before this would have his longer nap at lunch time and always take 3 shorter naps. He has dropped a shorter nap now - always used to have 20 mins at approx 5pm. Now he is awake from 3.30/4 until bed time at 7.30 & is exhausted and cranky at bed time! I have also noticed huge changes developmentally in the last couple of weeks - way more active, shrieking & shouting and in general needing to be entertained/stimulated more. Could these be linked?

Thanks for all the advice posts/any more suggestions etc greatly appreciated!

Advertisement