Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Worst Snow in 80 Years!

Options
  • 16-08-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭

Parts of NZ are having their worst snow for 80 years with Wellington having its first snow since the 70s.

Is this a further sign of cooling or just a freak?

Could it be a sign of whats around the corner for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Fluke, the world is certainly not cooling down at the moment:
    170944.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Depending on how you look at it, this could be the best snow for 80 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It's not just our antipodean friends who are feeling the chill, when you mention South Africa, safaris, warm weather and vuvuzelas usually spring to mind and not snow!

Lovely wintery scene from Johannesburg in the link! Hopefully us up North will get a similar pasting next December!

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2011/08/15/cold-front-brings-snow-to-johannesburg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A big dirty volcano in Chile dumped a load of ash into the Southern Hemisphere atmosphere or were ye not reading this forum in June.

The implications for the Northern Hemisphere are not serious at all. For us it is still all about solar output...and anyway we Nordies produce most of them greenhouse gases don't we ??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A big dirty volcano in Chile dumped a load of ash into the Southern Hemisphere atmosphere or were ye not reading this forum in June.

The implications for the Northern Hemisphere are not serious at all. For us it is still all about solar output...and anyway we Nordies produce most of them greenhouse gases don't we ??? :D

well to be fair most of the inhabited land is in the northern hemisphere too!!

And we had a serious amount of ash in the Grimsvghjfg?! eruption in Iceland a few months back . . .could be good for us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Just being shown on RTE news,
    Filmed by Irish man Ro Tierney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

He's my younger brother him!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Su Campu wrote: »
    He's my younger brother him!! ;)
    Is that your claim to fame? ;)

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Fluke, the world is certainly not cooling down at the moment:
    170944.gif

Something that stands right out about that chart is that it seems to have peak each northern hemisphere summer and bottom each northern hemisphere winter! year in year out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Mothman wrote: »
    Is that your claim to fame? ;)

That's about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I love how happy and excited they all look in the video. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I wonder if someone went around filming in Ireland when (nothing like a bit of optimism huh ;)) it starts to snow this winter, what kind of reactions will be on the peoples faces here! will it be :) or even :D, or given the extra traffic here lately, bound to see a couple of ....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

whats the big deal with the snow in new zealand,
    i was there this time last yr and went skiing on both islands, also slept in a campervan and it was freezing every nite, i know they dont get much snow in wellingtin, auckland but if they drove an hour up the road there is loads of it n the mountains so why is it such big news.
    its not that amazing is its also prob the most southerly country in the world.

ronman wrote: »
    whats the big deal with the snow in new zealand,
    i was there this time last yr and went skiing on both islands, also slept in a campervan and it was freezing every nite, i know they dont get much snow in wellingtin, auckland but if they drove an hour up the road there is loads of it n the mountains so why is it such big news.
    its not that amazing is its also prob the most southerly country in the world.

Maybe because its ''the worst in 80 years''???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

New Zealand's dairy farmers are having to dump millions of litres of milk as it cannot be collected from their farms.

This is my concern too so I hope we get the snow like last winter before Christmas and be basically done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Six hundred Taranaki dairy farmers will have to dump milk after Fonterra decided snow-covered roads were too dangerous for its tankers yesterday.
    Staff were working with farmers on disposal methods but the company did not know how much milk was involved, a Fonterra spokesperson said. Farmers would still be paid.
    Fonterra requires milk to be disposed of if it is still in the vat after four milkings.
    A decision will be made early this morning on whether milk collection will go ahead today.
    The company's Eltham site was closed, but milk collected on Sunday was processed at Whareroa, near Hawera, yesterday.
    The snow proved challenging for farmers, who had to get newborn calves to shelter and to negotiate snow-covered paddocks to feed cows and get them to the cowshed.
    Feed is likely to be scarce, so DairyNZ is organising supplementary feed for farms where cattle will have trouble finding grass.
    Consulting officer Katrina Knowles wants to create a database of farmers with surplus supplement.
    "Feed shortages could be an ongoing issue for high-altitude farmers who will have snow lying on the ground for a few days," she said.
    She advised farmers to give their animals high-energy feed.
    Once the snow melted, they should consider standing their cows off to protect pasture.
    Mahoe dairy farmer Hannah Topless said yesterday was the first time she had not been excited to see snow.
    She and husband Greg, who are in the middle of calving their 144-cow herd, had two dead calves on Sunday night. Mrs Topless was knee-deep in snow when she went to feed their calves yesterday morning and had to defrost the calf-feeder and the teats.
    "But we were fortunate we had power and Greg could still milk," she said.
    Alecia Lawrence said the Fraser Rd farm near Eltham where she and husband Hayden are sharemilkers had received lots of snow and the couple were focusing on feeding their cows.
    "We're lucky we have the feed pad to stand them off," she said. "We're worried about having enough supplement."
    The couple, almost halfway through calving their 240-cow herd, were pleased they decided to calve their cows inside on Sunday night. "Otherwise we would have lost calves," she said. `We expected snow – but not this much."
    Stratford vet Craig Hassell advised farmers to monitor calving cows and to collect calves promptly from paddocks.
    Farmers with spare feed or who require supplement can contact Mrs Knowles on 021 831 944.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/5450033/Snow-forces-milk-dumping

Not much fun for those New Zealanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Mrs Topless and the frozen teats:eek::D
    you can just see "have I got news for you" and "8 out of 10 cats" rushing to get that in their stories of the week slot.

Min wrote: »

''Farmers will still be paid''

It's fonterras loss, not too much of a big deal!!!

Advertisement