Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Teaching!... B.Ed or B.A. + Postgrad??

• 16-08-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hiyis :)
    I'm soon to be a LC student and atm I'm looking into doing Primary School Teaching (aren't we all? :P )..

But I'm not sure which route I should go by. I was thinking of doing just the straight 3/4yr B. Ed Degree in either St. Pats or Stranmillis Belfast... or doing an arts degree and then doing a Postgrad Diploma in Education after.

Could anybody give me some pros and cons of going either route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭laoiserick

oh and good luck to everyone getting results tomorow!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My brother is doing the B.A. + Postgrad option simply because he didn't get enough points.

Personally, I think if you can get the points, the B.Ed option is the best because it's shorter, and also it would work out cheaper - it is expensive to do a postgrad, whereas the B.Ed is more than likely covered under the HEA 'Free fees' , so all you'd pay is the registration fee each year (currently €2000) unless they abolish the free fees.

There's a few in Ireland, not just St. Pats - there's also Froebel, Marino (Dublin), Mary Immaculate (Limerick), and I think there's another one called Church of Ireland college! They're all more or less the same in terms of points as far as I know.

But that's just my opinion, I'm not sure. I do have a friend who's aunty is a national school principal, and she says that her aunty likes to hire people who have gone the B.A. + Postgrad route because they have more life experience, but I'm not sure how common that is. As far as I know though, the B.A. + Postgrad route makes you just as qualified as somebody who as done the B.Ed

Also, from what I hear, it's tough to get into the postgrads as there are a small amount of places in comparison to the amount of applicants, and you have to do an interview, some of which takes place through Irish. My brother is doing the B.A. in St. Pat's and is hoping to do the postgrad (which if I remember correctly is 18 months) also in St. Pat's, and he's going into second year now in September.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If you get the points and you want to do PT, do the B.Ed. There's no guarantee of getting into a postgrad straight away, and it's likely your standard of Irish will have dropped if you didn't study it in college.

Also, the postgrad will soon be 2 years long (probably in time for Timbuk's brother actually), so it's a no brainer. 6 years postgrad route v 4 years undergrad B.Ed route.

On another note, what's with all the primary teaching threads on here the last few days?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

Primary Teacher Training Forum

Come on people!:rolleyes:

On another note, if you get the points just do the B.Ed..

Getting the Postgrad is very hard, your graded on an interview and an oral Irish, and according to one of the lecturers in Pat's the cut off point was if you got lower than a B in the interview and lower than an A in the oral you were out.. so its really tough, especially the irish oral..

Advertisement