Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps on window at night

• 16-08-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi there,

Over the last few nights I have noticed that there are lots of wasps crawling on the outside of our bathroom window (the light is left on) in the middle of the night. I went in at 4.30am and counted 16 of them just crawling on the window. It was similar a couple of nights ago too. I don't wake up that early every night! Would this mean there is a nest around or is it just the light attracting them. It was like a scene from a horror movie watching them crawling about.

Any help please???

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

I hadn't seen any wasps all summer and now they are everywhere, but I think they are dying as the ones I am seeing are crawling around and then you see them dead on the ground minutes later. By wary though cause when they are dying, they can be quite aggressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1580Steve

I have noticed wasps around the streets but I haven't noticed many in my garden which makes me wonder is it just the light attracting them. During the day I don't see many at all.

Has anyone else had this problem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wasps can be attracted to light on mild nights such we've been having. The next few nights will be cool and I think you're less likely to see them.

I think it's likely there is a nest nearby, but some nests finish up at about this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

1580Steve wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this problem??

Yes !

Twice in last week having a shower around 5 am, light on, open the window, & in fly 5 or 6 very active & angry wasps. Not a good situation in a confined space !

Close the window, & many more buzzing around outside on the window. Don't think its a wasps nest outside the window, as this happened in 2 different bathrooms, one upstairs, & one downstairs on a different wall of the house.

Clearly there's a nest somewhere in the vicinity, but this has never happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I noticed about 5 fly in the kitchen window yesterday...Then up stairs in front of house another three..I closed all the windows and I tried to see where they were coming from like a nest but couldn't find anything..

Today there were about 10 on my car parked out on the street..Local kids have said they all around the general neighbourhood so hopefully they are just dying off ? They have just appeared out of the blue in the past two days or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Where do ye all live. :eek: All I can say is thank dog I have seen 3 maybe 4 wasps so far this summer. One followed me today and nearly held me hostage in the shed, had to run in and slam the door shut behind me, stayed in there a while to make sure he'd go away. Even thinking about them gives me shivers down my back.

Well Mothman I hope you are right and it is just the light attracting them and they will die off soon. Its scary looking at them all on the other side of the glass and I wouldn't think of opening the window!

Banchang, I am glad I wasn't getting in the shower with wasps, I hate them!! I did have to laugh at your post!!

Exador, I haven't noticed many aroound during the day, they just seem to be on the window at night!!!

Zapperzy, I'm in Crumlin, Dublin, just look for the yellow and black house, it's buzzing at night ha ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

1580Steve wrote: »
    Well Mothman I hope you are right and it is just the light attracting them and they will die off soon. Its scary looking at them all on the other side of the glass and I wouldn't think of opening the window!

Banchang, I am glad I wasn't getting in the shower with wasps, I hate them!! I did have to laugh at your post!!

QUOTE]

Picture a grown man screaming at the top of his high pitched voice, jumping around in the shower, waking up the whole house. It was funny in hindsight, but not at the time !

Would still like to know what the phenomenon is, as this has never happened before.

Advertisement