Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pier Fishing - First Timer

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hey lads!

I recently moved house and I now living quite close to Rosscarbery in Cork. I've always wanted to learn how to fish and would like to give it a go this weekend. I was thinking about fishing off the pier in Rosscarbery, I was there last week and saw some guys pulling some decent looking fish.

I bought a beach/pier rod from Aldi recently, I know it might not be great but it looks good and it will get me started :)

I know that cod is in the waters just off the pier in Rosscarbery so I was thinking about fishing for this as a start. I have some basic questions:

1. What's the best type of hook/line to catch cod? Should I use weights or anything like that?
    2. What's the best type of bait to use?
    3. What's the best time of the day to fish?

Thanks, sorry about the vagueness :)

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

1. What's the best type of hook/line to catch cod? Should I use weights or anything like that?

Its a bit early in the year for cod. They become plentiful around the coast during the winter months although nothing stopping you from fishing anyway. The warm waters in the summer mean there are plenty of other species about.
    What's the best type of bait to use?
    Baits for general fishing (including cod) are mackerel slices, lugworm, peeler crab, sandeel, razorfish among other as well as artificial lures, feathers etc. Best bet is to go into your local tackle shop - its been years since i was in there but there used to be one in Rosscarbery. Ask whats fishing well at the mo and buy some. If you fancy digging some, the estuary in Rosscarbery is good for lugworm at low tide and peeler brabs will be under rocks and that along the low water line. All you need is a shovel and bucket.

What's the best time of the day to fish?

With sea fishing its no so much the time of the day but the state of the tides. As a rule of thumb fishing the incoming tide is best in most areas.

Roasscarbery in general is a great fishing spot. You have plenty of choice of locations and species. Let us know how you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

SeaFields wrote: »
    Roasscarbery in general is a great fishing spot. You have plenty of choice of locations and species. Let us know how you go :)

Thanks for all the advice, I think there's a pub in Rosscarbery selling bait. There's also a tackle shop in Clonakilty which I could call in to. Will let you know how it goes :)

Advertisement