Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Broadband - email address

• 16-08-2011 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Your Eircom email will stay... in fact there is no way to remove it. I moved to UPC broadband about a year ago and my Eircom.net email account is still there... piling up with spam!!

I haven't created a UPC email account as I use Gmail instead of eircom.net for the last 6 yeras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Jon_459 wrote: »
    Your Eircom email will stay... in fact there is no way to remove it. I moved to UPC broadband about a year ago and my Eircom.net email account is still there... piling up with spam!!

I haven't created a UPC email account as I use Gmail instead of eircom.net for the last 6 yeras

I use gmail to manage all my isp accounts. gmail grabs all the mail from the accounts and filters them for spam too.

To answer the original question the email address will stay around "forever" you will probably not be able to send using that address but will be able to receive mail on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I'm interested to hear what you say here, Bealtine:

To answer the original question the email address will stay around "forever" you will probably not be able to send using that address but will be able to receive mail on it.

Does this mean that If I go ahead and change to UPC that I won't be able to send mail from my eircom.net email address even though I may be able to receive mail?

I appreciate that I can, however, use gmail for that purpose if required.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Gravale wrote: »
    I'm interested to hear what you say here, Bealtine:

Does this mean that If I go ahead and change to UPC that I won't be able to send mail from my eircom.net email address even though I may be able to receive mail?

I appreciate that I can, however, use gmail for that purpose if required.

Thanks. :)

You can't send from an isp/account that you are not on the same domain as, this is called relaying and is usually forbidden. That's why you can't send from an eircom account when you are on UPC for instance.
    You just use gmail's smtp or UPC's smtp to send the emails

Thanks, Bealtine. That clears things up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I use my eircom.net e-mail on the UPC network, I can send and receive e-mail no problems.
    I use Windows Live mail with these settings

Incoming Mail (Pop3) mail1.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail (SMPT) smpt.upcmail.ie

I have this e-mail years, and all my contacts have it, so I stook with it.

That's good to hear. Thanks. :)

Advertisement