Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs not getting along !!

• 16-08-2011 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

I have two Yorkies, Zac and Marley for the last two years...they get on great..they are brothers
    But for the next two weeks Im minding a 1 yr old Shih Tzu called charlie
    Zac the smaller yorkie despises Charlie....growls and snaps at him...they do not get along at all...and marley is the less dominant of my two Yorkies so he follows zac's example
    What can I do to get them to get along or will i just have to keep them separate for the two weeks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

JackN688 wrote: »
    I have two Yorkies, Zac and Marley for the last two years...they get on great..they are brothers
    But for the next two weeks Im minding a 1 yr old Shih Tzu called charlie
    Zac the smaller yorkie despises Charlie....growls and snaps at him...they do not get along at all...and marley is the less dominant of my two Yorkies so he follows zac's example
    What can I do to get them to get along or will i just have to keep them separate for the two weeks

Hi JackN688,
    Whilst separating them might seem the easier answer, and you can always revert to it if things become too heated, the problem is that it can build huge frustration in the aggressor, who will know Charlie is there no matter what you do.
    If a mistake is made and a door left open, the resulting fight could be pretty serious, unleashing that frustration.
    So, how about biting the bullet safely? If you put Charlie in a crate or playpen, the dogs can all get used to each other over time. You will probably have Zac eyeing him up and growling for a few days, but often they eventually give up and just get on with things once the initial posturing is over.

With the help of another person, you could bring the 3 out for several short walks a day, as walking really helps to bond dogs.
    I feel your pain, I have a westie who is deeply unhappy about other dogs coming into the house, and crating the newbie for a day or two works every time... The westie often ends up becoming good pals with the newbie in fact! Both my westie and your Zac have demonstrated that they can live happily with other dogs, it's those first few days that tend to be difficult, and the crate or playpen really facilitate the process.
    It helps to keep the dogs in contact, but safely in contact.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭JackN688

Thank you so much...as you can imagine it not an enjoyable experience for any of us.....we'll try tonight :)
    Thanks a million :)

Advertisement